1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Win for Those Opposing Abortion

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Supreme Court Rules Against Abortion Clinics

However one part of the article particularly surprised me:

So now, it's basically illegal to get an abortion in South Dakota. Scary stuff IMO. On the lighter side, we can now definitively say that there is absolutely NOTHING to do in South Dakota.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ridiculous.

The death penalty... ability to simply buy a gun... bans on abortion... what has America become? :p

3. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Actually, thats the kind of thing that makes the US far superior to western Europe.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Really, svy? ;)

I'm just trying to work out whether that post is tongue-in-cheek or not. I can't quite read you to be honest.

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    It is despicable. Absolutely despicable. Words are not enough to express my disgust at this.

6. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

It's looking more like it might be time to rejoin the family that's still in Norway...

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Which part is so disturbing? That South Dakota banned abortion (which I'm sure will be challenged), or that the US Supreme Court decided that pro-life people can't be charged with racketeering or extortion if they hold a protest at an abortion clinic?

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The 8-0 decision makes it pretty clear that it was hardly a partisan vote. No big deal.

Now, the South Dakota thing...when that reaches the Supreme Court, well, then we'll see what's what.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    BTA - I'm not sure if that question was referencing me, or a general question to everyone. For me, I thought it was pretty obvious (as I bolded in the original post) that I didn't at all like the South Dakota ruling. Not that I ever intend to live in South Dakota mind you, but is sets a legal precedent.

[It was really for the two posters above me who seemed pretty upset over something, but didn't say what - BTA]

Just like how many high schools removed language for intelligent design from text books after a ruling in Pennsylvania said it was in violation of the separation of church and state. The ruling only applied in PA, but once a precedent is set, it tends to spread.

[ March 01, 2006, 21:32: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Agreed. There's still plenty to do in South Dakota. I loved the Badlands and Devil's Tower when I was there, and unless I'm mistaken Mount Rushmore is also in South, not North. Though come to think of it, maybe the Badlands were in north Dakota. :hmm:

Either way, there's still plenty to do. :p Heck, I bet the hospitals are jam-packed with people giving birth now that they can't abort. :shake:

EDIT:
    Yeah, the Badlands are probably in ND now that I think about it. I had one side trip to ND for one of the things, so that was probably it. Didn't mean to hijack; don't mind me. :D

[ March 01, 2006, 20:49: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Fel, Mt. Rushmore is in South Dakota. However, I too thought the Badlands were in North Dakota - I've never been there though, so I could be mistaken.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Badlands are also in South Dakota. Beautiful state on the western 100 miles or so -- boring the rest of the way.

The South Dakota anti-abortion law was a legislation, not a ruling. It's not a legal precident, but a bad law voted by the state legislature. I think you misread that portion (or I did). Living in Salt Lake City for four years taught me the important difference between the two.

13. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    well, you could argue that it does threaten the womans life inthe fact that she may become suicidal should she have a child

14. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

the reason people are worked up on a national level at least is only because we know this is going to find find its way to the Supreme Court, it challenges Roe v. Wade obviously. Now a position made as recently as R v. W shouldn't have a chance of being overturned, but we do have a very conservative court right now, potentially R v. W could begin to erode. Other Pro-Life groups get the idea to get conservative state governments to pass laws prohibiting abortions and suddenly you've got a full fledged reaction with the Spreme Court on their side...

15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No, it was not about protesting, but about if whether or not these good "Christian folk" could threaten people who were using abortion clinics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11604762/

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not exactly. The US Supreme Court said that extortion and racketeering laws could not be used to prevent pro-life demonstrators from threatening people going to abortion clinics because those laws were not meant for that, and that was why the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act was passed.

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I was only commenting on what Justice Bryer said. Perhaps you know more about the case than he does. :)

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Tehehe, no, I must've misunderstood your point :)

19. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The possibility to buy a gun, death penalty and anti-abortion laws are things which have my absolutely FULL support.
    The only thing that I find disgusting, is that some people think it is "despicable" to oppose murder through abortion. As if the murderes were ourselves. :rolleyes:

20. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

That makes me a sad panda, and I'm hardly an advocate for abortion-on-demand or late-term abortion (and have said as much, many times). I'm surprised that there hasn't been a legal challenge to anti-abortion amendments like this on the basis that it is infringing their First Amendment rights. I don't know whether it would go anywhere, but there seems to be a preponderance of Christian groups involved in anti-abortion campaigning.

However, the smart money is on abortion rates in nearby states to increase as a result of this decision. End result - feel-good moment for anti-abortionists, but with little overall change on what actually goes on. Depending on the nature and wording of the Act, it may be fairly easy to subvert its intentions legally.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.