1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Request for Help.

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Shura, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pfooh! There are quite a lot of conditions there. Are you sure you you don't want to buy the FRCS yourself? They offer a LOT of info, you might want to know, including maps etc. I can't send you them, but I can give you some info if you want.
    The problem is that I don't know where to start... And what you're looking for.

Good luck, btw. :thumb:
    /me is searching for info now.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31

Hey, Master of Nuhn, I would really appreciate it if you could provide info about Loviatar, her domains, her clergy, her dogma and her favored weapon.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Loviatar rules. Loviatars weapon is a whip I believe as is her banner. She also have some ties to Lloth and used to be allied with Bhaal. Thats all I can think up off the top of my head

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Loviatar:
    AL: Lawfull Evil
    Domains: Evil, Law, Retribution, Strength, Suffering
    Fav. Weapon: 'Painbringer' (Scourge)
    Symbol: Nine-tailed barbed scourge
    Portfolio: pain, hurt, agony, torment, suffering, torture.

A thing about Ilmater: He opposes deities that enjoy destruction and causing pain and hardship for others, particularly Loviatar, whose nature is the diametric opposite of his own.

Plane: Loviatar has her realm in the Barrens of Doom an Despair.

Timeline-matter here: 1150 DR. Year of the Scourge, Plague throughout the Swordcoast. Worship of Talona and Loviatar soars. Khelben Arunsun arrives in Waterdeep.

Can't find info about her clergy, though. Sorry.
    AFAIK, there's not too much more info about Loviatar in FRCS. But lots and loads about the realms of Sembia, Chessenta and Thay.
    But if you have any questions(Loviatar or not), ask!
    ;)

[ March 02, 2003, 11:58: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

6. Shura Gems: 25/31

Does her clergy accept male priests as well?

Thanks for the above info, by the way. :)

7. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Oh, there are some nice Prestige Classes, dunno if they are allowed by WotC, thouh.

8. Shura Gems: 25/31

Hmmm...I know this is a lot of work and I really should not ask this of you, Master of Nuhn, but I spent the entire day hunting for the FRCS to no avail. Damn.

I have decided to set my story in Thay and some info on a few Thayan cities would be appreciated.

Once again, thanks a lot.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If you haven't read at least a few of the FR novels, and are not familiar with the world through the manuals, you hardly stand a chance. I'd have thought the submission guidelines made that pretty obvious. One mistake you make in the whole text, and it flies out the window. And as the guidelines say, it mustn't be a generic story, so you must operate with a lot of known FR lore, which you (seemingly) don't have.

This is not to say that I don't consider you a great writer, but I know how this process works, and I've read dozens of interviews with FR novelists are practically all agree that you have to read the majority of the existing material out there to be able to write something good, and faithful to the setting. And this open call is all about that. So my warm suggestion would be to buy FRCS and Faiths & Pantheons at least to start with. If you're having problems getting them otherwise, you can order them through SP: http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_man.php

You still have plenty of time, so best of luck. It would be cool to read a Shura FR novel. ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm pretty sure that its a female only clergy. Of course, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Read the book Red Magic for info on Thay

11. Shura Gems: 25/31

Hmmm. Currently, I have done a ten page, double-spaced scene that highlights the main character as a priest and enforcer of Loviatar.
    I have 2 templates for the main character:

1) Eonidas, huge, hulking and scarred warrior priest of Loviatar. He pursues the Vengeful aspect of the Maiden of Pain and uses a length of chain in each hand as deadly and agonizing weapons. Slightly psychopathic and fanatical in his belief in Loviatar's teachings, yet shows an unpredictable streak in his dealings with others, being at times too mild and other times extreme to the point of insanity. If Loviatar's clergy is primarily female, I'll simply explain him as a rarity who has been charged by Loviatar to bring pain to subjects deserving of violence. The Maiden of Pain's presence might be overshadowed since Eonidas is more of a fighter than a cleric, however.

2) The more traditional, yet not really evil cleric of Loviatar, Benearise, tempermental and misanthropically cynical priest of Loviatar. A story about her would most likely be less dark and violent than one about Eonidas since Benearise is more likely to flay objects of her ire with her tongue rather than with weapons. Of course, such a story would be more dialogue heavy with far less potential for conflict. I'm considering the potrayal of Benearise as a sharp-tongued 'elder sister' kind of character who is more than capable of holding her own when violence breaks out.
    However, I find that I have extreme difficulty in writing female characters. Readers of my work will notice that my heroines usually end up dead or incompetant. I hope this does not imply any sexist tendencies... :o
    I might need external help from hopefully a female associate if I use the 2nd character template... ;)

And Tal, I'll probably be placing my order for the FRCS through SP by this coming sunday. :p
    Boy, do I look forward to an avatar!

Please tell me what you think, folks. All feedback will be appreciated! Also, if anyone wishes to help me proof-read my initial draft of the ten page scene, do let me know and I'll mail it to you, since it would not be very practical to post it here.

Thanks once again! This is why I love SP: nowhere else will I get any form of constructive criticism, advice and information!

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmm, I like the first template... But you should be careful with who you give your text to. Someone could steal it and submit it as their own.

13. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Yeah, thanks! Now I got the info I need AND a nice template. Time to try it myself! :evil: ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.