1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new life!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Ziad, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    After 24 years of living in the same country, I have finally decided it was time for a change. So I have moved to the most fabulous city in the entire universe... Got a scholarship for a 3-year research PhD in Molecular Genetics at the University of Edinburgh, and there was no way I was going to miss such an opportunity!

Speaking of travel... that was quite an adventure. I had exactly 5 minutes to connect from one flight to the other (I initally planned it so I would have 95 minutes, but the first flight was 90 minutes late... go figure), and naturally I got here without my luggage (they followed me 24 hours later, thankfully), I couldn't get into my accomodation because someone had lost my file... and naturally it didn't occur to me to bring printed proof...

Anyway it's great to be here... this really is one of the... no, it is THE prettiest city I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few). You people living here are a lucky bunch!

So what's the point of this post I hear you ask? Mainly so I can share my first impressions of Scotland with whoever's willing to read, but also to meet other people. I'm sure some of you live in Edinburgh, and if you're interested in have a drink let me know. Now that I've settled in I don't have many things to do at the moment (work doesn't start before October).

Truly a marvelous place to be...

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Sounds fantastic. Enjoy the city and good luck in your studies. Molecular Genetics? I believe you could change the world! :)

3. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Wow! Have fun and good luck. :thumb:

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Where were you from originally? It must have been one hell of a tip, if you think Scotland is a move up!!!

Nah, seriously, I'm just kidding. Scotland is a beautiful place and the people are really friendly. I hope you continue to enjoy your time there :thumb: . Best of luck.

5. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I lived in Glasgow (pronounce it /Glasgah/ if you are a Scot) for a year and have visited Edinburgh many times. I agree, it's one of the prettiest and most interesting cities I've been in.

Enjoy your time there, Ziad, and don't forget to go up the hills to have a proper view of the whole city.

And by the way, if you catch accents quickly, by the time you go back home you'll speak like a D&D Dwarf :D

6. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I'd like to do the same one day. :) But without the chaotic arrival and such. :D

GL!

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    w00t! Much good luck and enjoyment!

8. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

University of Edinburgh, you say? You haven't joined the medieval re-enactment society there, have you?

9. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Excellent choice of city. One of the most beautiful, and also a prestigious university. One I was considering. You'll have a wonderful time, I have no doubt.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Edinburgh is a great city! I'd love to live there someday! You can get a great view of the city from Holyrood Park by climbing an old volcano hill - I forget the name of the hill though, but it's easy to find...There's a path leading up it!

Edinburgh & Stirling where my favorite stops in Scotland, but I didn't make it to the Highlands my last trip - next time.

Congratulations and enjoy!!!

11. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    congrats Ziad. I used to live in Stirling and my son was born in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Though with events at the time I didn't really have time to look at the city!

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Make sure you're at Murrayfield on November 26 when Scotland take on the All Blacks!

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

whoa. that's some serious studying :eek:

have fun :beer:

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Congrats!

Sounds impressive. :thumb:

15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    congrat and have fun! I wish I could visit Edinburgh one day

16. Ziad

Media:
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I still don't have my own computer so I have erratic internet access. I'll get back into regular posting once I do.

I've already climbed the hill in Holyrood Park to the highest point, called Arthur's Seat (no idea why though. I'll have to ask someone). The view from up there is spectacular. In fact the view from just about anywhere in the city is wonderful.

Speaking of view, I can see the sea from my room, if I stretch my neck to the side. And if I stretch it to the other side I can see Edinburgh Castle. The room's nice, cozy, and very small. It's 10 square meters, including the bathroom :) But I like it, it's cozy!

I still haven't really adjusted to the new life and setting, but everyone's very understanding and helpful. People are amazingly friendly here.

If you decide to visit the city (you shouldn't miss the opportunity if it arises!) don't forget to let me know.

Err... no, why?
    (I have the distinct feeling I missed a joke here)

Let me guess... football isn't it? :D

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

And here I came hoping for some lame joke about respawning.

18. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Weren't you going to Ohio or something? Edinburgh sounds like a far better choice...

19. Ziad

Media:
    @Bion: Ah, you do have quite a good memory! Yes, Ohio was the planned destination, but that was several months ago. In the meantime, I got invited to an interview in Edinburgh (for the scholarship) and fell in love. :)

Felt very homesick this afternoon... I think I'll get over this eventually. Getting myself a PC should help too :D

20. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] What specifically will you be working on? Will it involve RNAi? I bet it will involve RNAi! Seriously Ziad, you are a lucky man. Good luck!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.