1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new Generation of Mods

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Dezmar, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Dezmar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Imagine a multi server mod. A hub between servers to act as a huge social area. PVP. Quests. Multiple Cities of trade. a server where you can "own" your own house.(built by either your clan or mod builders.
    basic questions that need answering...
    q-What if i leave an item in my "house" and the server crashes.
    A-simple. We create a program to save the state of the server. this means that just like you nwn charater is saved the server keeps and inventory of all items within that server.
    futher explained....
    each part of this massive mod will be kept on different computers with low ping.(DSL or higher)
    so if one does crash a backup will be made every 10 mins(Server State Save and Auto Charater Save; will be chooseble with the mod to turn this off if you dont want that.)
    Heck it would be better to have a real server(as in a computer with multiple bays)
    Q-What about Legit Players?
    A-areas can and will be create for both legit and non-legit plays)

Now for some computer terms that can make this posible....
    VPN VPN VPN
    every game server can be connected thru VPN to keep backups of each server state.
    Server state will need to be created... may have to talk to someone from bioware?? to know how the game servers keep track of things...
    these mods will need to have identical vaibles and items created to show things that occured for continueing questers as they change servers. this is what will be called the Core... now this is just an idea.. all im asking for is modders and scripters that know their stuff... NWN2 may even add this... but hay why not for NWN1? we can do this this... just going to need help.
    anyone interested? any questions or conserns? just postem and they may help make this idea more solid:)

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Hmmm, I think something of this extent can be done already using persistant scripting. I'm not 100% sure how it's done, but I know it's possible.

If you are looking into doing this though, can I suggest you get in contact with A Land Far Away, as there we have a lot of expert scripters and the likes who will be able to help you with this. In particular, send a PM or something to Murky Majare, our Tech Admin.

3. Dezmar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

We have began recruiting Devs for the game as well as DMs we still need Scripters

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.