1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A little suggestion please?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ofelix, May 25, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I wonder, when my players do Bluff, sense motive, Perform or any other "random" skill, should I do it myself and hide to the players, or let 'em do it, because maybe they said that I could cheat, and if I do the roll, should I just say if they failed or not or actually said the number? I mainly wondered this question, because when I play D&D (not as a DM) I have a reputation of " The unlukiest D&D players alive" for 4 hours and half my highest roll was a 13. And that may not benefit the player.

[ May 25, 2003, 18:12: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well, first, there's the trust thing. If the players can't trust you, they can say that about every roll. To make every roll public would take away any influence you might have on the story. Simply state that you sometimes have to adjust certain things to keep the story intact, but that it will not result into unrepairable consequences for the players. (or at least not very likely :evil: )

The only checks you should roll for players are checks they aren't supposed to know the result of. A Rope check for example, when they want to climb down a fortress wall. Or certain spot checks. (You see nothing doesn't mean There is nothing) Other checks like a heal check, or a concentration check, I see no reason why they can't roll those themselves.

3. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

If they're worried about you cheating should you really be DM'ing, or conversely should they be playing?

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Do it secretly, its not something that they should know. And its your right to do whatever you damn well want asa DM.

5. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If it's an active skill, like perform or bluff, you should let the players roll since they are the ones attempting the skill. Now there is no reason for you to tell them what DC they were opposing, just if they succeded or failed. The same goes if you make an opposing roll, just tell them yes or no. Passive skills like spot or listen, unless the player states that they want to use the skill, you should roll and I wouldn't even tell them what I was rolling the dice for.

6. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I agree with Capt. Tripps when using the active skills, let them roll, but never tell any of your players the DC (or AC when it comes to attack rolls). Just tell them if they succeeded or not.

You should also let them roll inactive skills themselves. However, you shouldn't always tell them what it is for. Just ask them to roll the dice and make a sound like 'hmmm' (like your pondering about something). Even if there's nothing to roll for, let them just roll sometimes. Besides confusing the hell out of your players, it also adds a little excitement.

P.S. Listen is an active skill and not an inactive skill like Capt. Tripps said.

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'd also roll ropechecks behind the DM screen. If they see they roll a 3 on a ropecheck, they might decide not to descend down that 60 ft cliff in full plate armor ;)

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I Think I'll follow Silverblade advices, it's always fun to roll to funny 20 side dice ( I know I'm WEIRD) thx for all the other advices though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.