1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Challenge!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] The challenge:

I promise to solo BG2 within 4 days real time with the class/kit which first gets the votes of three different posters here.

Saves will be kept of the start of each chapter and these will be uploaded so anyone can check out the progress and verify that I've done it.

What's it gonna be? Think it can't be done? :D

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think it can be done. My recommendation: halfling mc fighter-thief; IMHO he can virtually do everything. Almost as good as a dc fighter-thief.

3. Avooch Dar Guest

You are foolish tea boy yet i admire you. May you accept this challenge with courage in your heart and return victorious!
    I go with Ragusa on this one. His ideas have always been great and his choice of character is commendable.
    May Lathendar bless you!

4. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Well, the "tea boy" aims to please. :p

A mc Fighter/Thief is one of the easiest characters to solo with so if you insist on that character I promise to do it within 3 days. :)

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

yes, do it, with the whatever class =)

I will be surprised if you even can handle going solo and finish without ending the game of boredom first :p

6. Shrike00 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I say you should solo as a kensai/thief dc. It is actually harder than a halfling/thief mc.

7. Earl Grey

[​IMG] We are ready for lift off at the tea boy's place. ;)

I will roll up a halfling mc Fighter/Thief and come back here for a last minute check before starting the game.
    Any last opinions on class/kit choice?

I think Kensai/Thief wouldn't be much different and since I've played kensai's but never a multiclass character I'll go with the mc unless another idea pops in here in say about 30 minutes...

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited June 17, 2001).]

Sarah Stubbletoe the halfling fighter/thief saw the insides of Irenicus Dungeon a few minutes after midnight (CET) today June 18th.

* Sarah's stats:
    Str: 14
    Dex: 19
    Con: 16
    Int: 12
    Wis: 11
    Cha: 7

She uses Annah's (from Planescape Torment) voice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyone care to make a guess as to when Sarah will have finished BG2? :)

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited June 17, 2001).]

8. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Unless you have already started you MC Fighter/Thief, I would suggest an Archer dueled to a mage-i think that could be quite interesting.

9. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Game is underway and Sarah is almost ready to leave for Spellhold already...

10. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I think in the final mage battles Sarah doesn't have any chance...but who knows?!

Earl Grey!

Would you please list Sarah's equipment!
    I'm curious.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Yes, I want to know the alignment and weapon profiencies!

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

backstabbing mages will do fine I think. about the final battle, just run away and wait till the protective spells wear off

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Earl Grey - HOT.

I think Sarah's Toe-Stubble will be charred by the time she finishes! ;)

Seriously though, there are many decaffinated brands on the market that are just as tastey as the "real" thing. (I'm only saying this because I care!) :D :p

14. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Current info

Fighter-11/Thief-13 (Total Xp: 1,732,744)
    Chaotic Good

Proficiencies
    Short Bow **
    Long Sword **
    Flail **
    Mace *

Equipment
    Helm of Balduran
    Shadow Armor
    Shield of Harmony +2
    Bracers of Archery
    Ring of Earth Control
    Ring Of Air Control
    Periapt of Proof against Poison
    Girdle of Hill Giant Strength
    Boots of Avoidance
    Cloak of the Sewers

Weapons:
    Flail of Ages +3
    Defender of Easthaven +2
    Daystar
    Ras +2
    Mace of Disruption +2
    Tansheron's Bow +3

Extra equipment:
    Vhailor's Helm
    Full Plate Mail
    Glasses of Identification
    Gem Bag
    Scroll Case x2

Back later tonight with reports, in the meantime you can check for screenshots or zips at http://www.geocities.com/earlgreyi
    (not more than verifications of the progress there, it's a truly basic html page.)

15. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Some pictures showing a few of Sarah's more glorious victories are uploaded to my site. Sarah loves her Daystar! ;)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sarah Stubbletoe finally left Athkatla.

She felt she had to do several other quests so she'd be well equipped for her journey. The last stop before sailing to Brynnlaw was to dispose of old Kangaxx. She used a scroll of Protection from Magic and the whole thing was an execution. :p

How long time will it take before we see her back in Athkatla?

Anyone care to make a guess? :)

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited June 19, 2001).]

16. shadow_thief Guest

hm...thats quite a sweet character u got ther earl. but one question...is she cheated?(most of u no by now i like cheating :D) it is hard to tell because u run into all those items in athkatla. and by the way...later will u duel class to a mage??? spells could be very affective fighting.

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Shadowthief: She´s not cheated, as far as I can tell earl plays straight and clean. All this equipment is avalable before you get into spellhold - though you´re right - not in atkathla alone ... Earl had to do at least the trademeet/ genie quest, de´Arnise, possibly the shadowlord quest either for I´m unsure wether she has the shadow dragon scale or the shadow armor ....

18. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Oh! Not cheated! :eek:
    With "leaving Athkatla" I meant "leaving Athkatla for Spellhold". Sorry about the confusion.

Here is a short summary of what she has done:
    *** Spoiler warning! This includes names of quests ***
    Irenicus Dungeon
    With 14 in strength this was a bit rougher than I'm used to. At that time I was really looking forward to when Sarah could buy the Girdle to get her strength up.
    With the exception of the vampire on level 2 Ms Stubbletoe did everything here.
    She freed Jaheira and Minsc without ever taking them into the group so got no xp for their release. :(

rest of Chapter 1
    Circus quest. Plenty of easy xp and she needed that ring.

Chapter 2
    Hendak and the slavers
    Montaron
    Viconia rescued
    Sir Sarles
    Orphan Risa
    Buried alive
    Sewer riddle Once more I have to reload because of getting a the character killed when a kobold shaman :rolleyes: casts Hold Person and his pals slices and dices the held protagonist.
    Sea Troll
    Trademeet: Animal Trouble
    Trademeet: Genies
    Trademeet: Dueling families
    Mae'var's treachery Sarah is now a Guildmistress! :)
    Fee for Gaelan Bayle

Chapter 3
    Restore Kangaxx' body

Other

The trolls in the big cave in the Trademeet quest was very tough and took it's sweet time to finish. Sarah could have skipped fighting them I think.
    Cernd was never in the party but - thanks to Zorac for the tip - he still does the duel to finish the quest.

De'Arnise hold is still being held by the trolls. Sarah wanted the Flail so she made a deep strike, slaying trolls in passing until she reached the area with all the golems. The golems were slain quickly and easily except for the "big un" which she decided she needed to use Ras the dancing sword and her simulacrum as bait. After that it went down fast. With the Flail she left the castle for now (and possibly for ever).

Lichfighting. Daystar needed first and to get that weapon a scroll of Protection from Undead was used and then Sarah just chopped away at the lich. With Daystar she has that wonderful anti-undead spell. You know what I mean! :)

Kangaxx.
    Well this was an odd one. The plan was to use the simulacrum (from Vhailor's Helm), Berserk Warrior (From the Horn) and Ras the dancing sword. Then when the demi-lich is formed the simulacrum should use a scroll of Protection from Magic on Sarah.
    Kangaxx killed the simulacrum - and everything else during the Time Stop. So Sarah was out of support when it was time for Kangaxx the demi lich!
    First she used the scroll so she was protected against the demi lich's most feared attack.
    Then she attacked with Daystar - which I think turned out to have no effect! - with desperation crawling up on her she switched to Mace of Disruption +2 and pooof! Kangaxx the Demi Lich was killed in a couple of swings! He must have failed his save. :eek:
    What an ending!

Eqiupment conclusion
    So I think that about covers what Sarah Stubbletoe has been up to the first day. If you wonder about where whe got any equipment just ask and I'll answer.

19. Shrike00 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have one question:

Isn't the third flail head with that fighter type in d'arnise hold. I have always had trouble dealing with him without getting a party member killed. How did you get past him?

20. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Yes it is, but the golems are potentially more dangerous. The problem with the fighter you mention is that he hastes himself and IIRC also uses (X-)healing potions.

He is a tough fighter but having Potions of X-Healing and Speed will balance it out. Also Sarah was at a higher level than normal when she went there.
    Whenever someone runs away Sarah equips her bow and finishes them off with arrows.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This afternoon (it's 6pm here now) Sarah started with Brynnlaw and has finished Spellhold/The Asylum, Sahuagin City and is now in the Underdark.

Today she hasn't used any of her back-up - simulacrum, Ras the dancing sword or the Horn of Valhalla yet. From Brynnlaw to Underdark it's been like a hot knife through butter. So easy it's almost embarrasing.

A nice tactic is to use Flail of the Ages to slow the opponent or in the case of multiple opponents slow several of them by hitting each once with the Flail. Then switch to another weapon if needed.
    Example is Defender of Easthaven for increased protection if multiple fighter type opponents and Mace of Disruption +2 when fighting undead.

Several Liches have gone down fast to hits from the Mace of Disruption +2 which is absolutely brilliant! :)

Sarah is now maxed out at Fighter-13/Thief-16.

Will Sarah Stubbletoe finish Underdark and Ust Natha this evening? :)

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited June 19, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.