1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

911 Operator dismisses call, woman dies.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Cap'n CJ, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
  2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

[​IMG] The unbelievable part is that she is going to keep her job which does not inspire confidence in the 911 system

"911 what is your emergency?"
    "Are you the one that let the kid's Mom die?"
    "Umm... yes sir"
    "Can I have a real operator, please"

I hope at the end of the investigation she is charged with at least Murder in the 2nd degree, imagine how that poor kid feels, does what his parents and school tell him and rings 911 and is then told by the operator you're lying, so your mommy dies.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah - usually kids are hailed as heroes when they call emergency...

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is a sad , sad thing. I'm torn. I feel terrible for that poor child learning how harsh the world really is at such a young age, seeing his mother die when those who should have helped him did nothing. I feel anger for the callous way this young mans pleas were disregarded by the woman taking his call (and I'm convinced that she SHOULD be fired) but I'm also stricken with sympathy for that dispatcher. She will have to live the rest of her life knowing that her refusal to listen to the pleas of an innocent 6 year old boy led to the death of his mother. I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life with that on my chest.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I wouldn't blame the operator. I'd blame all those other people who make prank calls to the emergency services. This is a "the boy who cried wolf" situation. The officer is said to have had alot of experience so she's probably had numerous prank calls. If she sends a dispatch out on a prank call she'll probably get in trouble, if she doesn't send it out because she thinks it's a prank but it isn't.

It's a horrible situation but begs the question: why did the mother pass out?

6. Drew

Media:
    Six year old boys don't speak very clearly. I blame the operator. If I passed out and my son was the only one able to get help for me, I hope he wouldn't be verbally abused. I went ahead and listened to the calls. It's very sad.

[ April 11, 2006, 19:02: Message edited by: Drew ]

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since the investigation is not over, it is difficult to claim that the operator is responsible for the woman's death. The woman may already have been dead.

Not that that excuses what the operator did.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I would. It was her idiotic decision to not take the call seriously enough. What's the point of having a 911 system, if fools like this one, are making such poor decisions?

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    As BTA says, we don't yet know all the facts.

What we do know is:

1. That the decision to send an emergency crew to the home was ultimately the operator's, and thus she is the one who is primarily responsible.

2. The woman may or may not have been dead when the call was made, but she most definitely was dead three hours later.

The question that needs to be answered is what was the COD (cause of death)? And, just as importantly, when was this thought to have occurred? It is obviously some time between when she hit the floor and when she was found three hours later. Core body temperature at the time the body is found is usually a pretty accurate indicator to determine time of death.

Only after these questions are answered can we even begin to determine how irresponsible the operator's actions were. If the woman had been dead for approximately three hours when she was found, an arguement could be made that it wouldn't have mattered if the operator had dispatched the emergency crews - she likely would be dead anyway. However, if the body temperature indicates she was only dead for two hours when she was found - in other words she was alive for another hour after the 911 call was placed, then the operator's decision was reprehensible.

10. Drew

Media:
    I didn't say I blamed the operator for the death of the woman. I do, however, blame the operator for for verbally abusing a frightened six year old boy and threatening while his mom was dieing. If you listen carefully to the little boy's second call, it sounds like he actually was trying to get his unconcious (or, possibly, dead) mother on the phone. Whether or not the dispatcher is responsible for that woman's death has no bearing on how heinous her behaviour was.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Drew,

I think CtR was referring to Abomination, not you. It was pretty clear from your message you were blaming the operator for not properly handling the call, but it cannot be determined yet if her failure to send an emergency crew directly resulted in the woman's death.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

I do think it was the operator's fault, but I don't think she should be fired. I can only imagine that this incident taught her something she desperately needed to learn, based on how she reacted to this boy's call for help. It is terribly saddening that her lesson had to come at the cost of a woman's life, but what is done is done. Firing her now would be an act of retribution, nothing else. Of course, I'd be all for firing her before this happened (since she clearly sucked at that point), but you can't go back and this incident has likely made her better at her job, albeit at an unreasonably high cost.

I do hope she loses the lawsuit and has to pay, though. :grr:

13. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the lawyer handing the case has proof that the woman would've had an honest chance at survival if help had been sent when the call was made, instead of 3 hours later. If I find a link, i'll edit it in.

On the other hand, it doesn't matter if she would've died anyway or not. The point is that someone called 911 in an emergency and got no help atall. The kid was even threatened with police action. I would hold the operator responsible, with a manslaughter charge at the least.

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I agree. I think she should be put in jail. As Drew pointed out, the tapes are pretty good evidence that the operator dismissed this child and the situation out-of-hand. The kid was never even given the benefit of a doubt. What a shame.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.