1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

60 years ago

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Register, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

the doors to Auchwitz opened and the prisoners were set free.

I would just like to mention it, for all of you who didn't know that today is the anniversary.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Edit: The celebration is going to be on Thursday the 27th and several thousand people are going to participate. Among those, former prisoners and representatives of over 40 countries. The number of speakers has been reduced to minimum, so only three people will talk after the sound of incoming train and the music (intertwined "Waves" by Krzysztof Kittel and Bach's "Die Kunst der Fuge"): Professor Bartoszewski (former prisoner), Simone Veil (former Jewish prisoner), Romani Rose (former Gypsie prisoner). Bartoszewski and Veil are going to sign the Charter of the International Centre for Teaching on Auschwitz and the Holocaust to be opened on the turn of 2006 and 2007.

After the prisoners finish speaking, a message from Pope John Paul II will be read and the presidents of Poland, Russia and Israel will be speaking. The cantor Symecha Keller will play on the shofar, ecumenical prayers will be said, and then the El Maale Rabamim prayer.

They will also commemorate the British POWs and Jacques Chirac will open a permanent exposition on the French Jews and other French people (about 3 thousand, 969 surviving) in the camp.

Protests are also scheduled on Thursday. The Committee for Free Caucassus will be protesting against Putin's visit and the Coalition for Jewish Concerns (or something similar, I might be translating the name back into English) will be protesting in front of a Catholic church in Birkenau, demanding it to be removed.

[ January 27, 2005, 00:10: Message edited by: chevalier ]

3. Register Gems: 29/31

Okay, let me get this straight? If someone says that they don't want a Jewish synagoga in their town, they are nazi and all that, but Jews can go on whatever they like?

I have nothing against jews, for crying out loud, my father's mother are from Germany and were a Jew in WWII, but how some groups act, including the Israeli government, that is just stupid.

That said, I must mention that our family was scheduled to go there, but we had to cancel it. Only my father's parents will go there, and I wished I could go with them. Lost several relatives I never had the chance to get to know cause of that stupid camp.

4. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

This single quote is sufficient for you to go on about how "Jews can go on whatever they like"?

At least one could try to understand what is going on, eh? I find some inconsistency between seeing someone mentioning (and, for all that I know, quite selectively) a "Coalition for Jewish Concerns" (which members or aims I don't know) demanding a church removed (for reasons that somehow didn't find their way into the statement) and equalizing this with how "the Jews" on the whole act stupidely - including the Israeli government.

So here I am, founding an "Association for Jewish interests in Eastern Germany" and demanding that all catholic churches should be closed - and this somehow ends up speaking against "Jews" and, what's more important, against Sharon?

5. Register Gems: 29/31

Sorry, should've clarified this more. In Sweden, and I guess many other places, you can't even critizise ANYTHING, not one little thing that a Jew does, without being called a nazi. I did not, and I repeat NOT, say that all Jews do it, which I IMHO quite clearly said in my post. What I did was complaining that calling an invidual Jew an idiot is nazi behaviour, but a Jew calling an invidual Christian/Müslim/Jehova's Witness/<insert any other religion or belief other than Judaism here> an idiot is just fine.

And bitching against Sharon is something I do all the time. I don't want a second DDR.

But now, this is being a bit off-topic, and I shouldn't have brought it up, but it just pisses me off.

[ January 27, 2005, 16:37: Message edited by: Caleb* ]

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This would be a very hard but wonderful day for the survivors. I believe there will be 1 minute silence. But I don't know at what time. I get the feeling I allready missed it.

7. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hmm, it really got time we started to remember those innocents who died for nothing.
    25% of all those who died in the camps, where massacred in Auswitsch-Birkenau, how horrible.
    To think of it, i'm going to Dachau next week.
    I have a book at home which shows the true horrors of the "death-camps", man, what a sick stories and pictures are in there.
    Yes, let racism and facism and.

"May god bless those who died in vain, for they suffered enormes pain, may we remember what happened there, so it may not happen anywhere"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.