1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3rd Ed. (A)D&D Character Generator

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Rhythm, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Just one or two question(s).

WOTC released a program called the D&D Character Generator Demo. Where can I get/purchase the full version? Or is it that they haven't released the full version? Help please.

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] WotC have not yet released the full version of the Character Generator. They are calling it Master Tools. Here is the link. http://www.wizards.com/electronic/article.asp?x=mt_welcome,3,en&c=mt&sb=dnd

I've hear mixed reviews on the product. Mind you I use the demo for some character stuff right now but if I can't make my own prestige classes or edit those on the system I feel the program is rather weak. I think there is a whole topic on this forum on the topic somewhere. I'd do a search for more info.

I hope that helps.

3. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Both of you go try PCGen now!

PCGen is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/

It has support for most of the classes, prestige classes, feats, skills, items, spells etc. WotC and other d20 companies have put out. It's also easy to add your own stuff, as all data are stored in text files.

4. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

bleah, forget all those cheezy generators. Check out this website for the best 3e character spreedsheat... It is the most complete and versatile tool for character creating i ever used.

here it is: http://home.wi.rr.com/dndsheet/

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Yes just get a character sheet and make a character, you can use the Demo to see your attackrate, ac etc and for the rest just use the PHB to find out how it works.

6. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yeah, but with a normal character sheet you wouldn't get this result:
    http://home.no.net/~ggravem/Camlann%20Nedangol.htm

Nice, isn't it? :) :p

I used PCGen for the character sheet and HeroMachine for the picture. Electronic tools are way better than me at these things.

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] While I see character generation progams as very useful for a DM, I think for a player, nothing is better then doing it by hand. It can be a bit more time consuiming, but it also allows the player to really know what his character can and can't do. Now character generators are the dm's best friend. Need a 6th level thief? Roll one up in a minute and stick him in your camapaign. Just using it for ones own personal character, however, is somewhat lazy. Get in there, roll up your sleaves, and gut it out. Everytime you have to look something up in the phb, it just familiarizes you with the rules all the more. So I'll cast my vote with the good old PnP way, god bless it ;)

8. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm one more fierce supporter of the classic way. Nothing's as good as writing up an accurate charsheet of yours and looking at it from time to time. :) The NPC-style character description carries all the useful information about your character and it's 10 times more compact than the Wizard's Chargen output sheet (thedious monkey work even reading this thing to find what you need, heh) and even standart-issue character sheet. If you need a 6th level thief as a quick roll-up (a temp worker? hehe) it's not hard to think one up, and much faster than starting that program. :)

[This message has been edited by Skedaddle (edited January 18, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.