1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2006: The Year In Review at RPG Codex

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Urithrand, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    As is the fashion at this time of year, RPG Codex has posted a long look at the various successes and failures of the gaming world of 2006. Pouring on praise and scathing criticism alike, it does, however have a few very nice words to say about NWN2:

Obsidian Entertainment

Bioware's younger brother kinda saved the year with Neverwinter Nights 2, which could be described as Baldur's Gate 2 meets Icewind Dale 2, which is great, because these are my favourite games. From Baldur's Gate we’ve got the epic story reflecting the choiceless life of the Chosen One, and from Icewind Dale 2 we’ve got endless waves of enemies and more combat than in Halo, which is another of my favourite games, so I'm pretty sure we are dealing with an instant classic and a game of the year material here. Any game that features a githyanki proctologist ... has gotta be good. Don't worry about getting lost in the game though, it's one of the most linear games I've ever seen, and even individual maps feature super linear maze-like designs, firmly leading you in circles to your destinations through waves of unavoidable enemies. Every now and then you are given a dialogue option that can help you avoid 5% of combat in an area, to remind you that it's not a Diablo clone, but a fully blown role-playing game.

It's worth noting that Feargus continues to impress people with his mad license-getting skillz. A start-up that made a Star Wars game, a DnD game (and according to rumors there is another one on the way), and now got the Alien RPG license deserves everyone's respect. Go Feargus!

Also giving The Broken Hourglass a notice:

While we have no new and exciting released indies to report in 2006, several interesting new projects have been launched. Planewalker Games has announced The Broken Hourglass, which could be best described as Baldur's Gate in a more original setting and with a more interesting game system. While no in-game screens have been released yet, you may find a lot of detailed descriptions of lore and various game systems posted on the official site.

While giving mention to some other favourites and finding time for some comic relief, I'm sure you'll be interested to read the rest of the article. Clicky.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Um - if you think that those are 'nice' things they were saying about NWN2, I don't think that you quite got it. That entire section was criticism - RPG Codex doesn't really do praise...

3. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Of course I understood what was being said, but in comparison to what was said about the other games, those were "nice things". Just look what it says about other games like Dungeon Seige.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Nope, not nice things, not even in comparison (or in any way for that matter). It's sarcasm from beginning to end, in typical RPG Codex fashion. The only game that's had nice things said about it was Gothic 3.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.