1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

12 Reasons PC Gaming is Better than Consoles at TechRadar

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Urithrand, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]A rather fun little article comparing the joys of PC gaming with the dubious pleasure of console gaming (ahem) has been posted at TechRadar. Here's a couple of points to be getting along with:

2. High screen resolutions

While Microsoft and Sony scream about 'true HD' in their games – but in many cases don't actually deliver it – the PC has been happily running games at 1080p and above for yonks. In fact, the near-HD default res of 1,280x1,024 is very 2001; even a medium rig can handle 1,600x1,200 or more these days.

3. Free mods

Were you a raw naif, you might be forgiven for thinking that LittleBigPlanet et al single-handedly invented the idea of (nnnggh) 'user generated content'. But guess what? PC gamers have been coding mods (modifications) such as add-ons, total conversions, unofficial levels and all manner of other gubbins for… well, pretty much forever. And then distributing it for free, for the sheer love of it.

Linky.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Yay for PC gaming! :D

I was reading this and nodding enthusiastically at every single point. #6 is the only one that is sadly less and less true of the PC, but at least not all publishers have gone with silly online activations yet.

3. Urithrand

Media:
    I liked the "When a PC goes wrong, it really goes wrong. Like, with fire and everything". Made me chuckle.

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The only place where a console beats a PC is when you want to play something with your mates. You've got to admit, Guitar Hero is a load of fun :p.

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Now, why would anyone doubt that PC gaming is better? Silly people. :p

I'm quite a fan of PC gaming, and some of the points of the article are quite accurate.

I especially like the fact that I can use the PC for all sorts of things, (read Alt-Tab :p ) and the keyboard + mouse is far more fun to use (for me) (read quick keys :p ).

6. Urithrand

Media:
    Personally I'm of split opinions. I like consoles for some kinds of games and PCs for others. Playing FPS on the PC is not my idea of a good time, but playing RPGs on a console (HAHA) is no fun either. I like a nice balance.

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Bah, consoles. Ever tried to replace the RAM on a console? Not fun.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.