1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

10 Great Non-Japanese RPG's

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Azereki, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Azereki Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG]This should by no means be considered an exhaustive list of all the great non-Japanese RPG titles out there, but it is definitely a good start. Some of the games listed are: Elder Scrolls IV, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, and Planescape: Torment.

I don't know about you, but recently I've begun to get a little bored with Japanese role-playing games. Formerly an addict of the genre, the more I played to get my fix, the more it seemed that they're all too similar. The main character will inevitably be a teen boy with an emo fringe and a belligerent attitude. The plot will center around the disappearance of his sister, and it's likely he grew up in an orphanage because the bad guys killed his parents. There'll be a love interest, with each side obviously fancying the other but for some reason not actually doing anything about it until the third disc. At this point, it has usually become obvious that the bad guys are intending to bring about the end the world. Yawn. The west may not mass produce RPGs, but the ones that do make it out tend to be refreshingly different. Here's ten of the best, from the 1980s to the present day.

Follow this link for the list.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Finding Dungeon Master in there was rather surprising, considering the list is geared towards more recent games. However, like all such lists, this one leaves so many essential RPGs off that it feels lacking.

3. Azereki Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I definitely do not disagree with you. The mere fact that Fallout was left of the list pains me greatly.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I can understand games like Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore and some of the other oldies to be off the list, as there's just too many of them to have any kind of list. But Fallout, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, the Gold Box games... and no mention at all of the Big Three either (Wizardry, Ultima, Might and Magic). I consider these to be VERY serious omissions. It's just impossible to limit it to only 10 games. It doesn't help that half of the list consists of games that are less than 3 years old. That would have been a very good list it it limited itself to "recent great non-jRPGs", but as a list that claims to pick the best from all the way back to the 80s it doesn't work that well.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I don't think I have ever played a Japanese RPG. :hmm: Are they any good?

Is this chick for real?

Where's BG, BG2, IWD, M&M?

6. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

A ten long list is going to have a load of omissions and newer games do tend to be better than old (I'm not a graphics junkie but the ease of use of newer games is much improved). I think the list was intended as a sample, not as being definitive.

I'd say Japanese RPGs sales are way above Western ones. Maybe not in America but generally PC=Western and console = Japanese. Consoles sell way more games these days. Besides, I don't think this list is aimed at the hardcore.

Depends which one :p! There's some great ones but I haven't really played any in a long time. I think they're aimed at a younger audience, I was blown away by the maturity of Baldur's Gate which was the first American RPG I played in ages (I'm now playing the Witcher which really steps this up). The real bugbear for me was the 'grinding.' In many you're encouraged to fight repititive enemies to level up. Think of the battle squares in IWD2. Now think way worse. That's the main reason why I don't play them anymore. I don't spend all day playing games like I used to and when I do I've better things to be doing than that.

7. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

Anyone played any of the Summoner games?

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Betrayal at Krondor wasn`t on the list either. Thats arguably one of the best rpgs ever made. No might and magic, and no ultima either. And no BG? This chic doesn`t have a clue. Looks like she just picked a few from a recent bestseller list, and added a couple of oldies.

9. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Big surprise, that's the internet man. Anyone can write whatever they want about almost anything. So that "reviewer" knows nothing. Big surprise. Come to think of it I must confess it's funny, quite useless but funny nonetheless. :)

By the way she doesn't refer to the original "Bard's Tale" but to the remake (which is quite fun) but it seems out of place not to mention the original if you intend to list the best RPGs ever... (should be CRPGs).

Chandos the Red likes this.
  10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I have not played them, Vhailor. I have heard that the original is pretty good though (but not great).

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    What, Might and Magic?

You, sir, are dead to me.

Vhailor, I played the first one. It was decent, maybe above average.

12. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

the article had world of warcraft as an rpg...enough said

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.