1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Some help on upper level mage spells...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Devlish, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Devlish Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My sorceror needs to Level up to 14. And I need to make some tough decisions on spells. Looking at the table, it looks like I will only KNOW the following number of spells when I max at L17:
    L4:4 L5:4 L6:3 L7:3 L8:2

I need to plan out my level 5-8 spells, but could use some advice. (n) indicates I no longer use it. (N) indicates I wish I had never picked it. Right now I have:
    L4: Ice Storm, Spider Spawn (n), Teleport Field, StoneSkin
    L5: Breech, Monstr Summ (n), Sunfire (N)
    L6: Chain Lightning, Pierce Magic

As a party, I tend to use summoning spells a lot (two druids with fire elementals, cleric with elementals). My sorceror tends to alternate between support (haste, breech and pierce, etc.) and combat (chain lightnight, magic missle and arrows, etc.), and used to do summoning when he had decent summon spells.

Some guidance would be GREATLY appreciated, as I have been delaying his level up to 14 for awhile as I've stress over what L7 spell to add. I guess I'm leaning toward (in this order): Limited Wish, Cacofield, Warding Whip, Finger/Death, Spell Sequencer, Mantle, Morden Sword, Mass Invis., Ruby Ray, Spell turning.

And since I'm a Sorc I know I'll be able to cast whatever spell I pick many times before resting (so I want spells I will use a lot). So I try to have at least one spell per level that I will cast a lot, and at least one per level that is for difficult battles (like Pierce Magic for mages/liches).

Anyhow, any help on L5 - L8 spells would be GREATLY appreciated. As well as suggestions as to your upper level spell groupings and strategies, etc.

Times like this make me see the restrictions of Sorcerors, although I do like being able to cast the upper level spells more than once or twice.

Devlish

2. Sorl Guest

Stoneskin extremely usefull but only once or twice per day (last long)
    Breech good against the nastier kinds
    Sunfire good against undead (lots of undead around)
    Chain lighting higher enemies tend to be immune, so you have to breach before
    Pierce magic only needed against the biggies (then very good)
    Mass Invis (probably a waste if you got lots of improved invis spells)
    Mordencainen I like it (allows my sorc to melee without getting hurt (don't tell anybody))
    Whip only duplicates breach, combine only with pierce magic
    Finger either works (boring) or doesn't (frustrating)
    Caco big baddies can kill any summoning with a little finger (of death)
    Wish if you like gambling (even multiple wishes leave the list after overuse)

For me breaching, piercing, removing is the main task for my sorcerer. For attack he's got the finger, Sunfire & ChainLightning. I took the sword for its graphics, and the solid stats (+5 hits most things).

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Mordecainen´s sword? I read that Sorl, hehehe

4. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Devlish, no worries. You don't "have" to worry about limits to the spells that you can scribe in your spellbook. If you purchase or find potions of Genius (+4 Intelligence)or Mind Focusing (+3 Int, +3 Dex) and drink a couple of them (as needed when scribing)your Intelligence will get high enough so that you can scribe every spell found throughout the game into your spellbook. -as well as higher scribing chance to learn the spell. When you scribe these spells with your 'enhanced' Intelligence they are scribed permanently. Myself, I get 2 scroll cases and fill them up while adventuring. Then I potion up at some point and start scribing every spell that I dont have/and can use. I sell the left overs and go back to collecting scrolls again and adventuring again.

Now I find the 'defensive' spells best at higher levels. And 2 summoning spells.

Nishruu and Hasheakar's.
    Breach,Pierce Shield & Pierce Magic.
    Improved Haste and Mass Invisibility.
    Power Word Silence.

I use the above like a madman, especially the Nishruu and Hasheakar's. When summoned the Mage opponent will focus all attacks on these creatures leaving you pleasantly and peacefully unharmed.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited January 13, 2001).]

5. Devlish Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Draco: I'm a sorceror so I don't scribe scrolls. I only learn 3-6 spells per level ever, regardless of intelligence... which is why it makes deciding so tough :>

Dev

6. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Whoa, my bag. I've never played a Sorcerer. I started a dualed Mage once but... abandoned my attempt later in the game. However I always use Jan or Nalia and Imoen eventually. Edwin I used once.

Sorcerer's sound like a severe challenge if you can only have a couple of spells at those high levels.

Nevertheless, you may want to focus on the summoned Nishruu and Hasheakar's and 'compliment' them with Spell Trap. -Hopefully you have the Staff of the Magi which gives that spell as well.

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, for level 8, I'd consider(in this order): Maze, Similacrum, Horrid Wilting, and Pierce Shield.

For level 7, I'd again consider(in this order): Khelben's Warding Whip, Summon Hakeashar, Finger of Death, Spell Turning, and Project Image.

For level 6, consider(in this order, takes into account the 2 you have): Death Spell, Spell Deflection, Improved Haste, Mislead, and Power Word Silence.

Well, it's a thought at least. But I'd also read the spell listing in the manual well before making any decisions.

8. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm currently playing a lev28 Sorceror in a Solo game. These are my choices :
    - Lev 6 : Summon Fire Elemental, Pierce-Magic, True Seeing.
    - Lev 7 : Mordenkeinen's Sword (really good), Finger of Death, Whip.
    - Lev 8 : Horrid Wilting, Simulacrum.

I don't like to summon daemons because of the problems they are, even protected you can be dispelled and the daemon roams against you :(.

[This message has been edited by Rasalgethi (edited January 13, 2001).]

9. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Come now, the demons can't be that hard?

10. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] For 7th level, definitely learn Limited Wish, especially if a Sorcerer. While a few of its many choices backfire on you (asking for experience summons golems to fight you, for example), it has some great features and is like 10 spells in one, including Shapechange and Time Stop, which are normally 9th level, and party-wide Negative Plane Protections and Heals.

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yeah, but with limited wish, it seems like a spell that wouldn't be used as often as others would. Keep in mind that a sorcerer has very few high level spells to obtain. Limited Wish is a good spell, but save something like that for another mage in your party. I can think of more frequently used mage spells that seem like the thing for the sorcerer class. Limited wish isn't something I want to have several of available to cast every day, especially when I only get three choices for that level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.