1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Switching Equipment for Immunity

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Blog, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

When you fight against spellcasters, sometimes you can hear the incantation and see the spell casted in the text box BEFORE the spell takes effect (especially if casted from long range - think finger of death or hold person). This gives you time to switch to some equipment that grants the appropriate immunity. (Note they don't let you change armour in combat though.)

So, do you take advantage of this? Is it cheesy?

(I'll apologize in advance to those people who are sick of cheese questions ;) )

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Switching Equipment for Immunity (23 votes.)

Cheesy? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! - 48% (11)
    * No! - 39% (9)
    * Neutral - 13% (3)

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't really think that it is cheesy - if you can recognize a specific type of spell being cast then your character should be able to do so - he/she does this sort of thing for a living. After that of course the character would logically take action to defend him/her self.

3. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Although... if you think in real life, someone would probably not be able to take off and put on heavy armour very fast.....if it was jewellry or a cloak yes, but armour no.....it is cheesy but do it if you want to.

4. alterEgo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I see it as kind of like a batter in baseball: the really good ones can pick up what kind of pitch is coming by how the pitcher released the ball as well as the spin of the ball, and adjust accordingly, all within a very small amount of time. Thus, quickly slipping on a ring or some other small item to ward against an incoming spell is justifiable in my opinion (the game engine doesn't allow armor to be changed in battle, so that's not an option).

5. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Each spell has specific signs.Your char can recognize which spell is being cast(not all spells,but most of them).And changing a weapon in quick slot only takes a second.No, it isn't cheesy

6. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I think it's OK, though I usually just cast several Spell Immunities and protections on my Sorcerer before every significant battle.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hmm... the votes are relatively even but all the posts are on one side!

Here's one from the other side: it disrupts the turn-based nature of the D&D combat system. When it is the mage's turn to unleash a spell, he does so, the spell takes effect, and his turn is over. You can't get a turn in between to switch gear. It's almost like breaking the rules of combat in a way. I doubt that you can do this in PnP, and I know you can't do this in old games that don't use real-time combat.

8. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmm...if you can pull it off in real time, without pausing, I would say definitely not cheesy because that is hard to do and it keeps you from performing another action in that time frame. If you are pausing the game or playing turn/round based style it might be a TINY bit cheesy, not near as cheesy as something like fake-talk or resetting traps with the dualclass button, which IMHO feel more like cheating than cheese to me. What would a pizza taste like without cheese anyway? I say go for it if you like it.

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I would see it as being ok as long as the item were in your inventory at the time (ie. not in bag of holding etc. and no passing items between npc's)

10. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I voted cheesy, except if it's a weapon in your quick slots.
    Minsc spots a wizard starting casting, he grabs his beloved Lilarcor. Looks real.

Selecting a freedom ring in your backpack and slipping it on seems far fetched. Let alone swapping helms!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.