1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Shade Lord a joke?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Dibermann, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Dibermann Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I’ve been wondering about the Shade Lord. He’s supposed to be a formidable foe, challenger of the gods themselves. Wasn’t Amaunator himself that took care of him some centuries ago? He defiled a whole temple of light into his darkness and controlled several creatures (liches or greater mummies) and even a dragon. Well, all the times I fought him he seemed less than a joke. What’s up with this guy? Shouldn’t he, at least, be as powerful as his dragon “pet”?

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think it depends on what body he inhabits, and the body he inhabits at the point you have to kill him is growing weak.

3. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I agree that compared to the undead you encounter up until the point you fight him, he is very weak. I think Apeman is right in his asumption that his strength depends on the person he possesses. IIRC he currently possesses the ranger from Umar Hill and plans to take over Mazzy (which is why she is in the cell to begin with).

4. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

He was a joke. I went straight to Umar from Athkatla and beat him. Even the dungeon is harder than he. Fui.

5. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Exactly...he's just a puppet comparing him to those damned BoneGolems (not so hardy, but do a great damage if you're surrounded by more than one)...and Apeman is correct! Now realize if he used the body of Mazzy..that could be very harder!!!!!

6. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31

Yes, he is a complete joke. But apeman is probably right with the whole body thing. The undead in the dungeon are a lot tougher.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Perhaps he's not very powerful because he never has to do his own dirty work, hmmm? He just turns the living into shades of their former selves and controls them that way. Apeman is correct though. Good theory as everthing makes sense in that context.

8. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

He is also seriously lacking in equipment. For all his being 'so' powerful you would think he would have some nice trinkets to prevent his very quick demise

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Er, if the Shade Lord was so weak in Merella's body, why didn't he just take over Mazzy's body right away? I mean, I would do that if I happened to figure out heroic adventurers were coming my way.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Come one C'Jakob, it's all written down somewhere why a bigshot evil man/monster always waits before actually executing his plan to take over the world.

I mean what about all the James Bond movies, why doesnt Goldfinger or dr. No just shoot Bond through the head when he is drugged out or sleeping in his cell. Because it wouldn't be fun.

Oh...and let's face it if the shade lord would have taken mazzy he wouldn't be much stronger :rolleyes:

That's why he wanter the body of the hero.

11. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Apeman, that would have been more fun. If some of those baddies just sent Bond into the Nine Hells with an one-way ticket.

Eze feels crappy

12. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I'd have to agree, he is a bit of a laugh. I useually do all the quests round Umar after I've left Athkatla for the first time. He is easy to beat with a low level party.

However I useually have to come back later for the shadow dragon.

Maybe they thought that at Bioware they could balance it out with the Dragon being *hard* and the shade lord being veeeery easy? :confused:

13. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I killed the Shade Lord in one blow once with that undead-killing axe-forgot its name, you buy it from Bernard in the Copper Coronet.

Why didn't he possess the Shade Dragon? Something to consider...

14. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Deathmage has a point, but even the shadow dragon is weak! I kill him with a Magic Missille!, (after Misnc, Keldorn, and Jaheira had beating him though)

Aerie:
    % of Killed= 3%
    Hardest foe vanquished: Shadow dragon

it's kinda weeeeeiiiirrrddd no?

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    At least it's stronger then the Shade Lord, and at least it's a dragon...(even if you are a WEAK dragon, the simple sight of one would scare regular adventurers away)

16. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

He is the weakest "boss" character in the game. Even the lowest henchmen of Irenicus could whup his ass.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.