1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

*spoiler* why I hate Yoshimo

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Frank, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Frank Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Ok i lied I think he is the coolest NPC I have..... or had.... why did he have to be bad! I hate that so much... I was so happy... Now i go have to get stupid Imoen.... I hate imoen... she wasnt even invited she just showed up aftet gorion died.... stupid old man....

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] Hey man! Yoshimo sucks. He's a dirty, rotten, good-for-nuthin' traitor and I almost didn't take his black, black heart to the temple because he helped the evil dude! As if he didn't have a choice. He could've said no! You can always say no! And besides, Imoen is better than him! She can cast spells and find traps. If you've got Minsc or Valygar, they can do the scoutin'. So don't trash talk Imoen, she's a good NPC.

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Yoshi had to help Irenicus because he'll die if he don't! Would you betray a guy you hardly know if you'll die otherwise? Thought so.

4. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Yoshimo had a "gees" cast on him.

The spell requires the person it is cast on to perform whatever tasks are asked by the wizard or face a very painful, horrifying death.

It is sort of a "magical contract". The wizard will pay the recipient somehow in return for their services, but require absolute loyalty - even if it is not genuine.

In the case of Yoshimo, he entered into the contract with Irenicus before realizing the depth of the shattered-one's madness.

In the end, he had no choice. He could die by your hand or by violating the spell. Death at your hand was, by far, the best alternative.

[It's spelled geas.] -Tal

[ October 02, 2002, 23:04: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

5. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey man! Yoshimo sucks. He's a dirty, rotten, good-for-nuthin' traitor
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not necessarily. He was loyal to the end. I thought he was actually very dedicated. He promised Irenicus his services and even signed a contract. After all, he witnessed Irenicus' evil and made a friendship with you. But in the end, a deal was a deal to him, something he could never violate. Its amazing he's not lawful neutral. Now you all can beat me up.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, it is good that you didn't have it spoiled for you a least. Think of it like this, hating him is one of the best experiences in the game because it means that you are enjoying the game.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

What happens if you say no or kick him out of your party? Does he still act all sentimental?

8. User Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] You can keep Yoshimo if you kick him out before spellhold and then take him back after you completed it.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No you can't unless (I've heard) you use an exploit to get him in your party just before he dies in the Copper Coronet. Remember, his geas causes him to follow orders or die.

10. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Hey, stop attacking my favorite NPC! Yoshimo was loyal to the end. Anyway - you should probably take the time to watch "Ghost Dog - the Way of the Samurai" to get more insight ;)

11. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

IIRC, you can send Yoshimo back to the Copper Coronet before heading to Spellhold. When you later return to the Copper Coronet as soon as you enter the tavern, Yoshimo explodes.

Not that he doesn't deserve it... :grin:

12. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] Yoshimo is one of the best NPCs in BG2 - besides Jan.

[ October 16, 2002, 21:36: Message edited by: Blackhawk ]

13. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Quote
    He's a dirty, rotten, good-for-nuthin' traitor and I almost didn't take his black, black heart to the temple because he helped the evil dude! As if he didn't have a choice. He could've said no! You can always say no!

You haven't been around the wonderful world of rpg's long have you vorpal? The story line is made so that he HAS to obey Jonoleth. The Gease cast on him says so. The idea of games like BG2 is to roleplay. You dont have to be good. its wonderful being evil. Attack random people if you want. Its fun, but reload is a handy option.

Frank, if you REALLY want Yoshimo in your party, next time, dont speak to him when you leave to go to spellhold. Youll have to go through the underdark without him, but youll have him for watchers keep and the elven city IF you do this.

Go through to the slums and save outside the CC. Then, walk in and pause it immediately. Talk to yoshimo and say, "welcome home, baby." He will then explode. Go to a temple and say "hes dead. Fix him" and you shall have yoshimo.

14. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Actually , on the contrary. I've been around RPG's alot. I've beat the original BG over 20 times. I soloed it 3 times. Twice wit the XP cap removed, once with it on. I know what a geas is from Lothander and Yoshimo. The reason I said "he could always say no", is because he could've. He devoloped a friendship with me, and betraying a friend is a fate worse than death :(

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Jonaleth cast the geas on Yoshimo. There was no choice, once the spell was cast, either he helps Irenicus or dies. And, I don't mean goes to an afterlife thing, it's more like :poof:, gone!

16. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It's a shame they didn't get Yoshimo to follow you to Spellhold, rather than just stay in the Copper Coronet; he could even pop up and help you get in if there were any problems.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

OK, so I wasn't able to find a quote in the PHB or tome of magic about geas but I assure you, it is a giddamn horrible spell.
    He had no choice, it was either a painful death or die by your hand and hope you show mercy and free his heart.

OK, I found it:

[ October 18, 2002, 14:08: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

18. MasterBlaster Gems: 1/31

i always thought he was a decent guy, i mean, it was kinda hard for him to attack you, and he did give decent advice at times, but i mean, its not like it was really hard to take him out...sheesh... i think its just a good way to clear a spot for another party member: Imoen. Hell, the fact you have a Bro/Sis power team going on is pretty cool...

19. Shiakh Gems: 1/31

yoshimo was a good character, for want of another decent thief. otherwise, we had to make do with nalia (useless as thief, mediocre mage), imoen (just plain bad) and jan (for me, less than useless).

As to his betrayal, a nice twist to the story for the first time.

really, grow up: get over it.
    play the game again, take joshimo or not, and dont get your breeches in a bunch ( ;) tiax: my fave mad mage ;) ... well, mebbe dradeel: "you have the stench of golodon the unmanned! bastard!" )

20. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

For quite some times through the game he served as a standard equipment at adventuring :rolleyes:
    I used him as a thief( :rolleyes: ) and archer. Nothing more. No backstabbing, nothing :( He was boring but i didnt want to be without thief and thought Jan being weak as a thief at that time (foolish me :( )

Nowadays i never use Yoshimo anymore. He is as good as Jan-(even better with custom items) and his 100% on move silently is really a waste. + He leaves you on the middle of the game-he does repay with 200.000xp when you clean his heart ;)

Jan rocks :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.