1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jaheira and the Bandit 2 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by kibit, May 27, 2001.

1. kibit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok I am playing through again with the hope of getting the Jaheira romance to work correctly.

Jaheira has left twice. I picked her up at the Harper hold, I have met Dermin, I'm pretty sure I killed him on the 2nd meeting.

I HAVE NEVER HAD THE BANDIT ENCOUNTER.

Romance dialogue seemed to progress well throughout the underdark, and I used cluaconsole to check and it increased in value as the conversations happend.

Questions: has anyone had the bandit encounter after the underdark? I read a post here about the romance hanging if you kill Dermin before the "lovetalk" value hits 53, that is where I am stuck at. Has anyone used cluaconsole to increase it up? Does that work? Has anyone used shadowkeeper to change the global variables? What are the correct values? Bodi wont vamp Jaheira regardless of what value I set "lovetalk", but SK says the romance is active!

Grrr...any insite on this or should I start another game of Deus Ex (while waiting for Arcanum to finally be released)

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I strongly advise you download Arcanum demo (250MB!?), and see why I'm pestering Tal lately to get forum here on that game.

3. kibit Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Well with my connection the game might be out by the time the download was done LOL. I am thinking of ordering a copy from burnadisc...is it worth $10.00?

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I seem to remember reading about someone who did have significant parts of the romance happen after leaving the underdark (meeting Dermin again in one of the hidden elven forests I think). However, I think (not sure) that you can only have the Bandit encouter if you camp outside above ground (you could try camping in the underdark to see what happens).

Unfortunatley though, if you have killed Dermin before reaching the magical 53 it doesn't look good for the romance progressing. I'd wait to see if you get any other useful suggestions from this post, check the link I'll put below (in case you haven't already rread it) and try the search function for 'Jaheira Romance'. If you still don't find anything to address your specific problem and the romance seems stuck, then use the cluaconsole to move it along - you won't have anything to lose (though make a svae game back up in case :))

Anyway here's the link which has a few useful bits (hidden among the banter):
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001746.html

PS good luck
    PPS I always seemed to get the bandit encouter in the windspear hills but I seem to remember being told it was not area specific. I also had it once without it seeming to recover the romance.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited May 27, 2001).]

5. kibit Gems: 1/31

Thanks. I did do a search and that thread is where I found the magical 53 number. Should I just set it to 70 and go. Will the romance work without doing the bandit deal?

6. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Arcanum sux!keeps crashing .
    maybe its my wonderfull voodoo banshee card....(duh)
    i even have to turn hardware acceleration off for bg2 cause it runs extra slow on my p3 450. Anyone got a geforce2 ultra for me?
    no one?

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Something indeed is wrong with your system (drivers maybe?).

My Arcanum demo never crashed.

8. Dauntalus Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The arcanum demo is a little touchy. It has a watered down driver support library, so it will have problems with quite a few machines, just depends. The official game is supposed to fix most o them. In the meantime thoug, you just have to hope it doesn't give you an invalid volume error.

9. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Hey guys? BG2 forum = BG2 discussion. Move this Arcanum discussion to Whatnots or get back on topic, please.

10. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

To get back to the original question and it's follow up. If I was going to use the cluaconsole method I would move the rating up to about 56 and take it from there. Hopefully then you will start to get the dialogue again. Try following the guidelines in the other post.

If nothing happens you can always move it up by a few more. If you bump it up to 70 straightaway you'll probably miss loads of interesting dialogue. Also changing the number artificially might affect other subquests within the romance (confrontations with harpers etc) or cause a few strange things to happen (certain people turning up more than once for example).

As always, also make sure you have a saved game before messing around with the console and keep it safe incase you do get some unwanted affects.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Maybe one day Bioware (or some hacker) will finally release full details of the romance, ratings and triggers.

PS. One of the original places I found out some of this stuff had an alternative method of overcoming the problem. Unfortunatley, I can't remember the original source and have never actually had to use the patch. Therefore I can't vouch for it. Anyway, if you are interested, here is the original article:

"The Easy Fix: Download http://www.geocities.com/zanzida/jaheira.zip
    this file, made by someone named Zanzida on another BG2 message board. It’s the Jaheira romance script, slightly edited to remove the requirement of Dermin from the 53+ Love Talk rating advancements. Now, I don’t know if it fixes any other similar wire-crossings earlier in the script, and if you HAVEN’T killed Dermin yet and try to advance the relationship past a Love Talk of 53, you’ll get weird out-of-context stuff."

I guess you extract it the BG2 override directory.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited May 27, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.