1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Adalon on first try - /cheer

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Naghite, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Naghite Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Here's my story (yes, with some self back patting)

Second time through BG2. First time was with a good party that never fought Adalon. Anyway, this second time through I choose an evil mage as the PC and created a few other char to complement him, making the party as follows

Blastafari - 17 mage - PC
    Krushum - 18 beserker (name stolen from EQ char)
    Dystopya - 19 cleric (name stolen from EQ friend)
    Muffinbuff - 13/13 cleric/mage
    Jaheira - 13/13 fight/druid
    Jan - 13/15 lvl illus/thief

Now, I found dragons harder than most mobs, but overall easier than expected - usually lost one party member on the first attempt, but none by the second or third try. Of course, I have had a lot of experience with dragons in EverQuest. I did not read up on Adalon per se, but having read the boards, I had heard it to be the toughest dragon and more like a white than a silver dragon in attributes. My party was quite high level, so after killing the lesser demon lord (far too easily), I took a shot at her. Zero char deaths and about 20 min RL time later, she lay dead. I quite enjoyed the battle, found it the most interesting of any battle in BG1/2 and was laughing at myself for the last half when she was hasted and I had run out of remove magic/debuff spells - doh!! The battle was intense, fierce, and even near the end I was not sure if I was going to win or lose. Here is a brief description below

Buff up with just about everything on main tank and resist fear/haste on all. Cast 3 monster summoning spells, surround with 3 mobs and tank and attack while insect plague and 3 lower resistance spells cast. Tank gets one shot in for 26 and simply absorbs damage the rest of fight.

Second attack, 2 more lower resistance spells, one malaison, and another insect plague

Third attack - breach, 2 remove magic, secret word

4th/5th - ruby's ray, more remove magic (wasted), a second breach +5 darts from jaheira and 2 bolts of glory

6th on, wand of heavens (4 charges) 1 more bolt of glory and 10 magic missiles later Adalon dies.

If she had lived much longer she would have taken out my tank, and then the rest in short order. She was hasted at about half hp on, since I had over used my remove/dispell magics early. Was intense, and fun :) Pleased to say I did it without cheats or abuses, and on the very first try won. Of course, it would have been harder at a lower level. Even this second time around, Firkaag killed someone (got ressed) during the battle (was around 8th/9th level for that battle, but I had done it before, so I knew what to expect)

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Congrats. I have heard she is very difficult reguardless of the party level. :thumb:

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Really, I never challenged her as I never played an evil PC, but everybody says she is really one hard nut to crack, so I may be tempted to battle in the future.

I heard main problem was, her breath weapon ignoring cold resistance gear and spells (something to do with normal vs magical cold, I guess) so his breath weapon usualy KOs low HP classes (especially your poor feeble mageling) with one hit. And it can be perma-death as massive cold damage has a rather nasty tendency to freeze things solid, not leaving a ressurectable body part. Scary! :mommy:

Congratulations again, though I guess you do not have ToB, you can find more and cool dragon fights in ToB as well, just another reason to get the expansion! ;)

4. Stardust Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

grats she is a hard (and dangerous) nut :cool:

5. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Only tried her once. *shudder*

My solo Assassin/Mage at level 17.

I had reached a point where I thought I was almost invincible (ever get that?) but she completely owned me.

She ignored my summons largely and kept bashing me against the walls so I would lose consciousness.

I reloaded and was nice to her instead! ;)

6. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

His party level looks pretty high for that encounter so that's probably it :p I havn't played it for awhile so I don't really remember what level you should be around then :D

7. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    ^ It really depends on how many side quests you do before leaving for Brynnlaw. It is quite possible to hit the level cap while in Ust Natha even with a full party.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Why did you not try using fire damage spells?? I bet 3-4 sunfires would have done the trick in the place of 10 magic missiles.

And additionally, Sunfire ignores MR and since Adalon isnt immune to fire like Firkraag...this spell is a prime candidate to be used here. :)

Sorry...I'm just a little jaded from all those modded tactics fights. :)

9. Naghite Gems: 1/31

I had certainly done a lot of the quests possible in chapter two, including kangaxx (thanks beserker effect!). Not sure if I was maxed in exp, but I think I was.

Didn't have fire loaded up. You would think I should have, but I didn't. There were a lot of unused MMM spells though /shrug. Didn't know what to expect in terms of her casting, so I went in another direction.

10. Magnus Sandvik Gems: 1/31

If you want ridiculously easy, try going through the Underdark and later with a solo sorcerer boosted up to around level 25. I went back and killed every dragon and did every tough fight in the game without any real problems.

Easiest way is a Time Stop followed by Improver Alacrity (or whatever it is called), 2 lower resistances and 3-4 abi-dalzim, then watch the dragon die when time restores itself. very cheesy, but very fun.

11. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Adalon was an easy kill for me... maybe because my whole party was level 40 (TOB installed) after taking advantage of the *imprisoned* mage quest ?bug?. But I doubt I would've made it if I had levels like Naghite's party. Still, I figured killing her was useless as there's not much to loot in her corpse, save the dragon blood

12. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i've beaten her with my solo legit monk, of course with an epic ability or 2 :D . A few lucky rolls and a whirlwind attack can do it. Its more fun with a fighter/mage though :) .

13. PeaceFool Gems: 1/31

ive never done it solo, but im quite fond of the two character party (or the buddy system as i call it). last time i went through with a fighter/mage/thief and jaheira. by the time you reach adalon, your character is so powerful it's not very fun. i was dual-wielding flail of ages and celestial fury. but ive never taken on firkraag at only lvl 8 before, congrats for that!

14. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I remember I was going to do all the underdark quests and after she opened the door for me, I was going to kill her BUT she left :(

15. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

speaking of a couple of monk abilities. is it possible to do the quivering palm move on her? I've always though the idea of ripping a dragons heart out to be somehow twistedly appealing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.