1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What to go for in the Sphere?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by [GoodFellaZ] Voodoo Daddy, Jan 2, 2002.

1. [GoodFellaZ] Voodoo Daddy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hi again!

i´m a mage and can´t really choose what to let my appentice go for in the sphere. First I had them make the ring.. so that they all survived. Now i think I wil let them make the easy spell, sp that they will al survive again...
    Then they question is whether I should go for the ring of wizardry as my last command (then I believe 1 will survive and serve as my apprentice in the rest of the game) or I should go for the staff of power (which will kill all of them..) i think i will go for the ring, since it will be nice with the extra portions that he will make throughout the game, and the staff doesnt seem to be that powerfull at all..

any comments..

2. Lord Sarevok Guest

Get the Ring of Wizardry. Not because of the potions; there are more than enough of those, and you won't be in Athkatla most of the game. Because it simply rocks. Also the Staff of Power isn't nearly as good as the Staff of the Magi, which you'll get eventually anyway...

3. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] IIRC, the guy willl only make potions for you if they all survive... Sorry.
    And anyway, even if I remember wrong, there is only one guy who will make potions for you, and it is random who dies.

4. Sol'Kanar Guest

Really? I thought it was all set. I did some experiments, via loading and saving and a lot of resting. I found that no matter what the all survive the first time. Didn't try anthing other than horrid wilting for the second, which they all survived. Then on the third, all die if you say the staff. Two for the ring, and one for the robe. Also, you will not get the robe or staff no matter what. I never tried telling them to not attempt anything the last time.

5. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

By the way firestorm it's not random who dies.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually, it is random in most "middle-chosen" cases.

[EDIT]
    Sorry, I had a Dan Simpson influenza and told a lie up there...
    Items you ask for - you get or not randomly.
    Deaths are completely determined.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited January 10, 2002).]

7. Fudashi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The ring of wizardry is redundant, you can get one in the Harper's Hold if you have jaheria in your party and do that subplot. Sure, I suppose two is better then one, but I personally am happy with the ring of acuity.

The staff is a massive pain to get. The chance that they'll make it is pretty low, so you need to do a lot of reloads. I believe it took me about 5.

Sol'Kanar - I got the robe quite easily, I don't know what your talking about. Then again, the bracers of defence ac. 3 make the robe useless, so this is really a moot point.

Really, there are equally as good and even better items than these in the game, its not necessary to kill some apprentices just because of your greed (assuming you're playing a moderately good character).

8. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Fudashi I tried that, but you can't wear 2 rings of wizardry at once (not on one mage)

9. Arwen The Druid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

is it true that the mages become your apprentices throughout the game if they all survive? what items should I have the make if i want to accomplish this?

[Arwen - You have your own topic for this question. Try to be patient. We prefer that answers to recent questions reside in ONE place - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 17, 2002).]

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] My mage always try to get the students through their apprenticeship alive, so I go with dagger, mislead and then nothing. Everyone is happy. :)

The Ring of Wizardry is the only risky thing I'd consider having them make.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.