1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aerie's a liar too

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by zaknafein, Oct 4, 2001.

1. zaknafein Guest

while i was playing the game with my evil assasain i met aerie in the circus tent. she told me that i had to get the key because she couldn't use her magic to escape the chains. when i wouldnt give it to her she started casting millions of protection spells on herself. not bad for someone who cant cast magic.:rolleyes:

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Maybe she meant she couldn't cast spells to dipell the horrid illusion covering her, but any other spells could be cast. Or maybe the casting of spell's by the 'ogre mage' is part of the illusion to make you believe she's about to go hostile.

3. void Guest

[​IMG] I'd say the game is scripted so the ogre is the same as Aerie exactly except for its avatar, so if you attacked it it would no doubt act the same way as an average low level elvish fighter/cleric would. It might also use Aerie's sounds in battle seing it *is* Aerie.

Cheers, Void.

4. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What's the big deal? She's trapped in a non-dispellable illusion, just like all the non-dispellable illusions and unpickable locks you run across in the game.

5. zaknafein Guest

she plainly said that she couldnt use magic.
    ill find out exactly what she said soon

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Quotes from the game
    Now, will soeone tell me what's the problem? I hate Aerie, but to call her liar - no sir!

7. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I suggest you reread the first post in this thread and then the one immediately above this post.

He said that she cast protections upon herself.
    You, Extremist, verified via the in-game dialogue script, that she DID say that she was prevented from spell casting.

That is the lie. Or, do you not understand the concept of "lying"?

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] The one who doesn't understand concept of "lying" is you.

If she tried and failed to release her from illusion - she obviously believes she can't cast the spells. Where is a lie there?

When he got the sword, he got this dialogue:
    Now, my dearest, tell me, what effects are of possible enrage/frenzy/beserk state?!
    Not speaking the truth? :toofar:

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited October 13, 2001).]

9. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

As usual, your extreme responses have prevented you from any sense of clarity or understanding.

If you say you can't do something and then do it, then you are either lying or do not understand what you said. Ergo, she lied.

/me pulls out "/ignore extremist" command for all of his future posts - it's just not worth putting up with the aggravation in order to try to find the pearls of wisdom in the caustic posts.

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited October 13, 2001).]

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Will you already see that she was speaking the truth - at least she believed that!

Lying is not something you say that is not correct - if you believe in it.
    If lying would be speaking of incorrect things - then many religions are lying. Do you dare to say THAT!?
    If someone believes in something that is not true and speaks about it - that is not neceserry a lie. Am I wrong?

[EDIT]

To drm:
    I don't expect a reply. I haven't expected it after my first post in this thread - but it came. The post is not for him, but for others who might think that Aerie was lying.

Ignoring is something everyone has a right to. And you, dear drm, should respect that and not add a salt to that wound, ok?
    Keep it rolling. Don't look behind.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited October 13, 2001).]

11. drm Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think he said he was going to ignore you Extremist... Do you really expect a resposne?

12. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Why on earth would Aerie lie about something like that?

Doesn't it make more sense that she (as she already admitted) was out of her depth with the complexity of whatever Kalah had cast and didn't completely understand what it did?

Role-playing-wise, the idea that Aerie would have lied about not being able to cast magic is the least plausible explanation...

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Aerie, Aerie, Aerie. So much fuzz you create my child. She was panicked, desperate and frightened. Who are we to know what she thinks. I wouldn't place much weight on her words. She does say she can't cast magic and does so anyway. It a contradiction, yes. Perhaps she didn't know better since the powerfull illusions made her skills obsolete against the chains. But her fear of death made her try to cast defensive spells against her attackers anyway not on her chains. And it worked. Lie or not? Both are true or could be true at least. It is a lie if Aerie tried to cast magic in her chains which proved to be succesfull prior to the attack, and if she is concious of her choice of words in this dark hour of hers. hmmm Again we can't say anything for sure can we. But you all be the judge of how the doubt should benefit her or not.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited October 14, 2001).]

14. zaknafein Guest

you speek of the truth oh wise one:rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.