1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tales of Noobishness.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Yess, I could not figure out the trick of dog stew in my earlier rusn too. Always cooked it, and carried it for the rest of the game! :heh: Battling the Umber Hulks in the old fashion is more fun to me anyway!

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I do both, Silverstar! :p

<--- XP whore

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I can't remember my noobish experience too well(Because it was something like 6 years ago, when I was in highschool). I played a straight up fighter though, wearing the green armor and wielding a +4 shortsword (I spec'd for 3 slots in 6 weapons by the end of the game, not knowing what I was doing). His name was Bert and he beat the game in 3 days... somehow... I remember not liking losing my romance, but I couldn't figure out how to bring her back and picked up viconia instead.

4. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My first time through was with a Kensai. This was just when the game was released (been a while) and I didn't know about level drain. I actually finished the game with Anomen at lvl 2. I just kept wondering why his spell slots were decreasing. Suprisingly enough though, no other character got level-drained through out the entire game. Now that's something I cannot achive nowdays.

5. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I didn't know anything about D&D and began playing SoA as if it were Diablo. Big mistake.

My first character was a female elven thief who was iced 3 times by the mephit in Irenicus' Dungeon above the room with all the gear ang golem. I didn't get it and stopped playing. The second time I played I knew what D&D was and had read a lot about BG. This time through was a succes.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I could not find the entrance to Nalia's stronghold at my very first time. Travelled around the keep, found no open entrances, and went back to Amn.

'We will come back when you are open!' :p

7. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think that my next worse would be when I got sunfire with my sorc....ohh whats this do...I clicked it figuring that it was a target spell....and killed most of my party. I now read spell descriptions.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Now I remember, I had no idea how spell turning worked, or even what it was....so I always targeted mages with magic missiles, flame arrows, and the like, and I was quite shocked when all the spells returned to me! :lol: I was even killed once or twice like this! Not the brightest start eh?

Then I was made punchison by the very first goblin archers in the first dungeon in my very first games, times and times again. I thought they had awesome THAC0, they never missed! Now I tackle Improved Ilych&Co with ease. :heh:

My very first character, a cleric, he had the crappiest stats you can imagine, gotten from the first roll. He was throwing darts (back in SoA, clerics could use normal darts due to a bug) but he had no proficiency in it! :spin: I managed to kill Firkraag with this crappy character's party! Har har! My friend (who also sucked at playing at that time, he had to kill Firkraag with Wand of Cloudkill cheese) joked and asked if I had killed the dragon with darts or what.... (infact, a Holy Smite did the final blow) and I was sooooo happy ahh the newbie times, always nice to remember! :roll:

9. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

When I first began BG, I didnt notice the reroll option on the abilities screen at character creation. My first character had the worst stats ever, only being able to max out INT as he was a mage.

I also didnt know how to use a mage properly so that character was next to useless.

10. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

When I first started playing I had no idea what THAC0 meant. I cant even remember whether I thought it was good for thaco to be high or low. And I didnt know what 1d6 + 1 or 5d6 meant, so I had no way to work out what did more damage.

I remember trying to battle the dragons. I think I gave them indigestion at least...

Jokes, they eventually died. I didnt use protective spells, I just charged.

When I finally got to rescue Imoen, I was going to sub Nalia for her. Then I opened up her character record and saw that Imoen hadnt advanced a single level (which should have come as no surprise). So I left Imoen to her fate and left with Nalia.

I still dont know how I got through the mindflayer city...

When Adalon teleported me to the end of the kua toa dungeon, I went the wrong way, and promptly arrived back in the underdark. After a bit of searching, I concluded there was nothing I could do, and gave up.

11. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Two tales from me. I remember fighting the mage outside of FAI at the start of BG, I'm thinking, hehe, I killed the two assassins that came after me, this should be no match for me. Then, all of a sudden there is four mages standing in front of me. Ok, but they shall all fall to the mighty Templar. I got really screwed when I couldnt click on the rightmost mage, so I stood there, not knowing how to kill this guy, and all of a sudden my character gets a yellow square.. Insignificant, I'm thinking, until I realize I cant move him around anymore.. He is running away. He is.. No, he died..

The other tale is from my first run in BG2, where I killed Cromwell, not knowing he could forge Items for me.. Why did I kill him? Because he had a gem, a spell scroll and about 50 g in a chest in his house.. And he noticed me trying to take it.

12. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I thought turn-undead means my character can turn into an undead creature. :D

I took backstab too literally. I had my backstabbers stand behind intended victim/s before backstabbing. Which is sometimes tedious when the victim/s moves around.

13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I read the BGII manual before I started!
    Despite playing BGII before BGI it still took me about 10 tries to beat Tarnesh outside the Friendly Arm Inn.

Spell turning really had me, it took me like 5 tries to kill the Yaun Ti in that part of the sewers where you get Haer Dalis because the mage kept rebounding my acid arrows and Agannazar's scorchers.

I found the lich in the Crooked crane and thought 'oh **** - RUN'. I then ran out and some guy approached me and started talking, worst of all it didn't pause the game, so I was desperately trying to rush through the dialogue without screwing everything up and hoping my fighters could survive long enough for me to get through the conversation. The person who decided to talk to me ended up getting killed by a meteor swarm (thats what you get for talking at the wrong moment), but not before 1/2 of my party got taken out :) . Power word reload for me.

I remember goblins and mephits being hard for some reason, probably becuase I gave Minsc the bow (he's a ranger after all) and got Immy and my pc thief to tank FTW!!

14. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

hehe, my noobishness was proeminent particularly in BG1

i recall i had gotten as far as where the two dukes were under strike by dopplegangers and were eventually slain the both of them before i could rip the beasts to shreds

so each atempt i tried to meet with sarevok nere there a column of flame would strike my character down and since i had no saves previous to the duke casualties i was kind of.... screwd :D

15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Meh me first game was with a plain bard with bad stats, Jaheira, Mincs, Imoen, and Keldorn. I didn't know anything about protection spell nor healing spell, I only used potions. I used my bard as a melee fighter with a plain +2 sword. I didn't go very far. Than I become acquinted with 3E DnD and my subsequent games were far, far more better.

16. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Ah dopplegangers - I remember fighting a room full of them in BGI, they pretty much slaughted me three or so times in a row - mainly because of all the damn fireballs I thought they were casting. Turns out Imoen had switched to arrows of detonation after running out of +1 arrows. It was way easier after I figured this out :) .

17. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Having been a veteran of the old classic SSI Goldbox games, EOB, as well as a 2E PNP gamer on occasion, game mechanics were not so much of a problem for me.

My biggest folly was not using spells that turned out to be awesome in this game because they sucked in other games I have played. Cloudkill, for example.

In my first run through I remember hating the undead you run into because of level drain. Even though I had just played through as a cavalier, I wanted to turn around and play it right away as an Undead Hunter (another type of Paladin) just to stick it to them. I compromised by playing as a dual-classed fighter-cleric of Lathander, to get the Boon. Much awesomeness followed shortly thereafter.

I also had never faced mindflayers before. That took some reloading!

Now, I could tell you stories about stupod mistakes I made when switching over to 3E rules...

18. blob Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

... it's really embarassing but I didnt know what "turn undead" was for... when I found out it either shoo away or kill undead I was like "OH THATS AWESOME!" and started to use it... except... except.. I also used it on golems.. and watched half of my party members die... and yelled "WHY ARENT THEY (Golems) EXPLODING INTO BITS??"

19. Sandmann Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've found the lich under the CC too soon as well... And when facing Firklag, not realising what "magical resistance" means... And there was the wide collection of spells I hadn't use, saying "offensive spells will do it, I don't need anything else" gave me hard times in mage fights:D

20. Alderamin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] This is my somewhat noobish experience. Forgive me if it's off-topic, but I found it hilarious. I was playing through the beholder's lair in the underdark and got bored... So I came up with an awesome idea :idea: . I decided to set the wild surge so that it would ALWAYS summon demons. So... I did that, got hungry, left the room to make myself a snack, and when I came back, almost half the map was covered with demons! So I'm just sitting there thinking... IT'S PARTY TIME! :banana: So the story ends with me casting protection from evil on myself and friends. Then sat back and watched the beholders get slaughtered. Then, the real fun came as I killed all the demons. Later, I went to the Illithid cave and I got slaughtered. (forgot to cast protection from evil that time). "reload"

[ June 12, 2007, 22:01: Message edited by: Alderamin ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.