1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tales of Noobishness.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

:lol: That's good chicken :D

Didn't you notice the 'trap sprung' dialogue? Hehe ;)

2. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Believe it or not I didn't realize it was a trap untill the third or fourth time I did the mines.

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Take on the twisted rune early. What a disaster.

4. Kara Ay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Mine was at Windspear Hills,my first encounter with vampires...They hacked my party to pieces...Worst thing is Pc was a barbarian so all i had to do was push the rage button to avoid level drain...But i didn't know even that :(

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I remember once thinking in Irenicus dungeon that I would slay as many mephits as possible to get some extra XP... It worked fine until I got surrounded and my PC got knocked out so it was Yoshimo alone against a horde of beasties... :shake:

First time I played Tutu, I was in for a bit of a shock when the creatures I just hacked away were respawned... Well playing a first level party and facing bandits by the dozen (the ones equipped with bows) can be a traumatic experience (hopefully I got used to it).

Oh and Wild Magic... First time I played a Wild Mage I didn't notice that much of a difference until I got some real special results with wild surges... Of course in the middle of a fight (I can't remember the name of the NPC, it was the party of adventurers in the inn near the 7 vales IIRC, the party led by a dwarf which I usually take on right after leaving Irenicus Dungeon) my mage got turned into a wolf, held and cast a fireball centred on himself. I didn't expect so many wild surges...

I didn't have many surprising experiences playing BG1 (I played PnP so I knew how the rules worked) but I do remember the first time I tried to kill Drizz't... I also have fond memories of the first time my party hit the REP 1 level, what are these Flaming Fist Mercs doing? :lol:

6. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Ahhh yes, the first time I took on Drizzt! Such good memories! I remember just sitting there thinking ... WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?!?! :lol:

7. Lord Michael Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Quote by Silvershield: "Hehe funny how much more fun the game becomes after a lil' visit to SP "
    I assume you mean Sorcerers Plane, as in here, right? Wanna make sure I'm not missing anything. :)

Secondly, I am on my second time through BGII, and haven't gotten super far (just took the De'Arnise Keep.... I'm gonna have to return to slay those f'in Golems & a couple Umber Hulks, but I got the magic!)
    I know the Kangaxx fight is coming soon, & I know I killed him the first time, but don't remember how.
    Who is the master Lich-Slayer & what tips can I glean from you?

Oh, & I remember my first time through BGI, I picked up Xzar & Montaron at the very beginning. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why Imoen kept saying "Stop Touching Me!!!!". Hilarious! Those little pervs. :)

8. Sir Farivald

Sir Farivald The Obsidian Cleric

"Cool, slings use BULLETS! I can take on any of these medieval bitches!"

*turns to face dragon*

*charred bones found three days later*

9. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Hehe that was so confusing...I attempted the same thing, trying to kill Sarevok faster, thinking that would do it...eventually I pulled the tried-and-true method of running around, hacking at random people. For some reason, this actually did the trick :confused: It appears Bhaal favors those that act randomly :D

10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Yep, this is SP. Or, more specifically, the Board's O' Magic on Sorcerer's Place.

There are several ways to do this. Bear in mind that you need +4 weapons to damage his demilich form. Additionally, remember that Kangaxx will target the closest party member, so if they are immune to his spells, then all of the party should come out safe. If a party member is a Berserker (eg Korgan), then they should use this to remain immune to Imprisonment.

If this is not the case, then the next easiest trick is to buy a scroll of Protection Against Magic and cast it on the character fighting Kangaxx. You should be able to defeat the Demi-lich with ease this way. There are two scrolls for sale at the Adventurer's Mart.

That was Xzar. ;)

11. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Heheh. Funny tales guys :)

My worst tale of noobishness is actually that I couldn't beat Tarnesh, the mage assassin on the stairs of the Friendly Arms Inn in BG1.

I was used to Diablo hack and slash type games so it didn't occurred to me it could be a good idea to have a strategy and some micro management.

So Tarnesh just beat my party about 20 times by casting Horror and taking my party members out one by one.

My BG1 box stood a long time on my shelf after that....

12. Fattybryce Gems: 1/31

Hey guys. I'm new here but I've been playing BGII for a very long time. This would be the seocond game fourm I'll registered at, the first being Age Of Kings heaven. Anyway, I though that I would tell you some of my noobish mistakes.
    Some might not be to you guys I'm not sure but what ever.

- Not getting that +2 2hsword in the first level of the dungeon at the start. Or getting the +1 dagger.

- Taking Korgan on a good party. I didn't relise he was an evil bugger and he annoyed some of my other party members.

- Going to that island after paying the 15,000 gold, way to early.

- Taking on that big dragon in the ruiens and later tring to take on that big red dragon. Bot at way to low levels.

That just a few things that I've learnt from.

13. Morthond Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    I've been playing 5 years and this still happened to me today unfortunately...
    I was roleplaying as much as I could and accepted Xzar and Montaron into my party. We went to the friendly arm and met Jaheira and Khalid, as Gorion said they were trustworthy and my character is a bit lost and confused. They joined up too and both couplets wanted to go to Nashkel, so fair enough I began the journey.
    Jaheira got nailed by kobolds and died, so Khalid "left" to mourn her and we continued south. Then Montaron goaded the Flaming Fist mercenary south of Beregost and he attacked us. Montaron died and Xzar turned on us, so me and Imoen were forced to kill him aswell.
    Me and Imoen arrived in Nashkel, two lvl1 swashbucklers and went to the inn for some rest. The much higher level cleric promptly slaughtered us without taking so much as a hit herself and that was that.

14. hahahaguy Gems: 1/31

Mine would be in totsc, where my 1st party of level 6/7 people went to werewolf island, with NO magical ranged weapons, and only 1 or 2 magical weapons which hardly hurt the werewolves.
    They are stuck there forever.

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

On my first run of SoA I found the Lich underneath the Crooked Crane inn almost immediately. The more I attacked the more pissed off he got. Then he hit the timestop and I was like omg wtf I did NOT pause this my game must have frozen....wait...that bastards still moving... Lich casts meteor swarm...oh ****...time stop ends...reload or quit...I decided to take a break after that.

edit: lol didn't read the posts until after I posted mine...apparently me and Ironhawk have the same bad luck :(

16. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

@LoS_DrIzZt4:

Glad I'm not the only one :)

17. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

@LoS_DrIzZt4 & Ironhawk Skylord

That dude also molested me in my first runthru. And I had the same thoughts about timestop... wack, wack, wack ... dead

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My first time with that lich Minsc nailed it with Azuredge -- but not before the time stop. Nobody died (although everyone was single digit hit points), but I had a damned pit fiend following me from screen to screen until the spell expired (or it got distracted by peasants -- I really don't know).

I guess that was my Sir Robin adventure.

19. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

My experience is even worse. First time I played SoA I didn't know what the orange funnel thingy on my character's portrait was (since there was no such thing in BG1, IIRC)... until I found out my main character only had less than 40 max hp. At first I thought it was my chars ability or some such, harhar.

And I remember when I did my best to avoid Noober (just 'coz my friends say you'll get stuck with a dialogue with him)... I even cast invisibility on my party to get past the annoying guy. I had to load a number of times, especially when I see him starting to trail my party.

20. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I couldn't get the dog stew to work in De'Arnise Keep the first time through. You see, as adventurers, we are used to taking too much. Looting, pillaging, stealing, taking treasure. There's little need to drop anything, so when I had to drop the dog stew on the ground, I was stumped. I had my character stand on top of the "container" and drop the stew on the floor, but it didn't work. I tried dropping it this way all along that squiggly corridor, but it didn't work. So I gave up and thought it was screwed up. I didn't realize they meant put the stew inside the container that is the floor!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.