1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPC Indecision

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Mathetais, May 15, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I'm further than I ever have been in this game ... but I don't know how to solidify my party.

Right now we are: (forgive spelling)

Me (Fighter/Cleric)
    Anjis (Paladin)
    Minsc
    Jaheria
    Khiloff
    Iomen (d/c to mage)

We're very light on spell casters. Xan is dead (oops) but all the other NPC's are availible (as far as I know).

I'm not a big Khilad fan and would like to see him meet an untimely accident. Any ideas?

[ May 17, 2003, 20:18: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Change Mincs to Shar-Teel
    Change Khalid to Kagain
    Change Ajantis to Montaron
    Kill Xzar
    Change Imoen to Edwin
    Change Jahiera to Viconia (or Tiax or Quayle for fun)

That is the party I mainly uses

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Do I have to also change myself from Lawful Good to Chaotic Evil??? :evil: :bang: :good:

:lol:

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Evil schmevil. :D Ain't you style, anyway Mat. That said...

Kill Khalid. Immediately. He seemed to fail his moral check and go apesh*t every other battle. He's such a pantywaiste, it really makes Jahiera look bad. So much so it almost makes you feel like a loser when you hook up with her in BG2. If her taste is that bad...what does that say about you? :p

Yeslick is good to have, but I don't know if you want another fighter/cleric.

I really liked Kivan, though I ended up swapping him for Coran when I found him outside the Cloakwood. (more useful and interesting IMO). Both are better in melee than Khalid by far (but really...that ain't sayin' much.)

If you don't have Dynahier in your party and you do have Minsc, then I'm assuming she's dead or you left her in the Gnoll fortress (shame on you!!). So if you don't want to pcik her upl, I won't recommend her. But it looks like you're doing okay with Imoen anyway.

Skye (I think) is a mage you can pick up somewhere in the city of Baldur's Gate, though I don't know how good she is. There's always Quayle, who is slightly interesting to play.

Hope that helps, bro. :thumb:

5. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmm, I actually like Khalid. He doesn't fail moral checks more than the other characters, at least for me. Their relationship with Jaheira is quite odd, I'll grant that - quite obvious who wears pants in that family... as for Jaheira's taste - hmm, I don't see nothing wrong, maybe he's great in bed? I'm not particularly impressed that people tend to misinterpret poor guy's insecurities and think of him as a coward. He's not.

If you don't like Khalid, then Kivan is a good replacement, IMO. Btw, no need to kill poor Porky Pig (I meant Khalid), just lock him in a house and remove from party. I do it often, since I want to use Jaheira all the time, but not necessarily him...

I strongly dislike Ajantis, and I would pick any other fighter instead of him, but that's just me - I don't particularly like short-sighted paladunces like him.

Where is Dynamo? She's a kickass mage for a good group. Edwin is cool, but evil. As far as I'm concerned, Skie is a thief and Quayle is a village idiot.

I would swap Khalid and Ajantis for Kivan and Dynaheir. Missile attacks > melee in BG1.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I'm learning that the hard way. (Can you get that kobald arrow out of my arse?)

I honestly forget what happened to Dynamo. If I lost her, can I re-spawn her using the consul? I can tweek the fighters, but I really need more magic (I think)

7. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

No you don't. You need little magic in the whole game.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Really ... I was able to do the lock Kilald in a house (in high hedge) to pick up the K-Ranger.

Maybe dump Anjis for the other Cloakwood ranger and do the full-on missle frenzy?

I hate to admit it, but this game is getting fun!

9. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

There are endless party combinations in this game, and any and all of them can work well. I've got a four-piece right now, comprised of

My PC, a Halfling Cleric
    Ajantis
    Alora
    Imoen (level 7 thief, working her way up as a Conjurer, currently level 6)

I wish I had a stronger tank than Ajantis, but the options are pretty limited. But anyways.
    If you took went with -

Your Fighter/Cleric
    Kivan
    Coran
    Imoen
    Minsc
    Jaheira

-you'd do very well and would have no troubles at all. I'd be tempted to swap out Minsc for Yeslick, but then I really don't like Minsc very much, and Yeslick is cool. Nothing wrong with having two Fighter/Clerics, either.

10. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Don't think that he needs third healer though. The PC and Jaheira should provide all the healing power that is necessary.

11. Gaius Gems: 4/31

Clerics don't have to be used for healing, but can be used exclusively for buffing and defence. Having one Fighter/Cleric as a dedicated defensive/buffing battery would be quite effective, I think. Leave the healing to the other two.

12. Demogorog Gems: 4/31

My party for the moment:

Human Ranger
    Human Ranger
    Kivan
    Ajantis
    Imoen
    Edwin

One of the rangers and Ajantis uses crossbows, the other ranger, Kivan and Imoen plays with bows and Edwin goes around with a sling.

Missile weapons are extreamly good in BG1.

Edwin is there only for his ability to use wands.

Besides that mages sucks in BG1.

I am for the moment in the the end of chapter 2 and all of my chararters has reached level 4 and some are near level 5.

13. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I've just started playing BG again a few weeks ago and decided to play evil to the core. My PC is Feanor, Chaotic Evil Half-Elf Mage that hates Druids with a passion. Here is my party history so far:

Imoen follwed me after Gorions death, little turp. Monty and Xzar joined me on the way to the Friendly Arm. Met Khalid and Jahiera at the Friendly Arm and we then headed towards Beregost. On the way both Kalhid and Jahiera perished in a freak accident: At the first sight of a Gibberling, I launched a magic missle at Jahiera's face, Xzar did likewise. This left Khalid alone, surrounded by Gibberling, with no hope but his sword to hack his way out. We just left him for dead. Sure enough the gods abandoned him as his sword broke and panic overcame him. Moments later we heard his scream from a distance. We were almost to Beregost. Once there we linked up with Kagain to found some lost caravans. 10 seconds later Kagain didn't care about the caravans anymore and so we headed to Nashkal. Upon getting there I told Imoen to wait for me outside the Inn. We then ran into Minsc and agreed to save the witch in the gnoll fortress. I went there and killed witch myself when Minsc wasn't looking. Then cleared the mines and headed back to Beregost forgetting about Imoen forever. By this time Minsc got mad and attacked us for being too evil. Gave him the last blow to the head he'll ever have. I then found out about the bandits and searched the forests. Picked up Shar-Teel
    and Viconia. Killed some bandits and headed to Cloakwood and slaughtered every druid I could find. Currently standing in front of the Mines of Cloakwood.

Party Overview:

PC - Mage, Chaotic Evil
    Xzar - Mage, Chaotic Evil
    Shar Teel - Fighter, Chaotic Evil
    Monty - Fighter/Thief, Neutral Evil
    Viconia - Cleric, Neutral Evil
    Kagain - Fighter, Lawful Evil

14. Gaius Gems: 4/31

Nice party, though I'd personally be inclined to drop Xzar and pick up Eldoth later when you find him.

15. Jurts Gems: 7/31

I just found out that chunking Viconia nets you nice 800 of experience points - another reason to choose other clerics/druids over her. ;)

16. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I personally go in for clerics and fighters
    my party is:
    me (dwarf cleric)
    Khalid (half-elf Fighter)
    Minsc (best ranger in the game)
    Jahera (Druid, she is probably the worst character because she seems to like being dead)
    Branwen (Cleric)
    Dynehair (magey thingy)
    this party have been through alot and i think and hope they'd serve you as well they did me. :)

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Evil parties are the best. If you keep your reputation below 8, you get entirely different special abilities, and the dreams you have get different content.

18. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Hmm .. yeah I'd kill of Khalid (Minsc and Ajantis are able enough fighters) and replace him with either that Edwin bloke in Nashkal or get that Elf with the moonblade ... can't remember his name though ... though usually to solve the spellcaster's problem, I tend to be a spell caster myself. And i wouldn't have changed Imoen as she's a pretty damn good thief... then again the thief you find in the spider forest place is pretty damned good as well and makes way for an entertaining sub plot.

If you want to keep Minsc, get Dyenhair or whatever her name is at the Gnoll Stronghold...

19. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

True. My rep right now is 4. It was 1 when I killed a bunch of slaves in my romp through the Cloackwood mines, then flooding it killing any I happen to miss. But playing at a rep of 1 is impossible as the Flaming Fags spawn every three feet. I had to go to a church and donate a grip of gold. I got it up to 5, then killed the priest which lowered it. Getta get my coin back. What can I say, I'm an indian giver.

20. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I hated Jaheira in this game -- killed her off ASAP. I liked using Khalid and/or Minsc as front runner melee characters. Yeslick was my clerical powerhouse, Imoen and/or Coran provide bow coverage, and Dynaheir took care of all my spellcasting needs. Branwen, Ajantis and Kivan can also be most excellent additions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.