1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Backstabbing Qs

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shralp, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

So I just started play BG2 and decided to go with the assassin.

How do I backstab characters that are waiting around to talk to someone before turning hostile? When I click the weapon button I become visible and don't get the backstab multiplier.

I'm dual-wielding: long sword and dagger. Is this allowed for backstabbing, or do I need to un-equip the long sword? Is dual-wielding a problem, or can I not use a long sword?

Thanks for the help.

2. ayecapitan Guest

When you click th weapon button you have a round to become visible. During this time you still might backstab, just make sure that you click the button at near-intimate distance to the enemy :)

3. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think you also need to stand behind him, since it is called back-stabbing, I could B wrong though...

4. Silvershade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

And you can backstab with every weapon a thief can use (except missile weapons) and when you're dualweilding as well.

5. Thorr Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you want to backstab, DON'T click on the weapon icon. Simply go stealthy behind the inocent victim and click directy on him.

6. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Does that work if they're non-hostile? Sometimes you want to backstab before the enemy mage turns hostile and starts casting, and I don't mean the fake-talk strategy.

7. Shade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I think it does. If you backstab a non-hostile mage or whatever, they will turn hostile; if you've played that part already, and yo know soon enough (after conversation, usually) they will turn hostile, sure, backstab them to take half there HPs away! No harm done.... well... no harm done to you and your game, to him, that's another matter.

8. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I think the stalker class is the best backstabber in the game, far and away.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I can only doubt that. Having played a few thiefs through BG-2 I can say that stalkers are backstabbing amateurs, limited to *triple* damage.

Any fighter-thief (if mc or dc) is by far more versatile than any stalker while haveing roughly the same fighting abilities (yes, the stalker will have a somewhat better THACO - but this can become easily with a strength enhacer) and a little less hitpoints. The only advantage a stalker might possess compared to a fighter-thief is his ability to cast a few spells. However, at thief lvl-13 a fighter-thief starts to deal out *pentuple* damage and this *ROCKS*.

10. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ragusa is right on. The stalker seems a neat class at first glance, but if you want to be a backstabbing bad monkey - thief (or some variant) is the way to go.

11. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Possibly a stoopid question, but how can I tell if my thief has actually done the big triple, quadruple, sextuple (?) damage?

Do I need to check the damage base for my weapon of choice and actually do the math, or will the textfollow at the bottom alert me (i.e. backstab was successful:3x damage) or something? Can I tell the diff between a backstab damage or a regular melee strike?

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    You can read it in the *combat report* - there should be something like that (no exact quote):
    -Ragusa deals out 118 damage, pentuple damage (max damage btw ;) ) through backstabbing

13. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Okay, I STILL can't get a backstab on a character that's not yet hostile. Not with Yoshi, not with my assassin, no one. Que es la deala?

PS: Don't try to kill the Shadowmage unless you flush out the thief hiding in the shadows first. =)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.