1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fisher CA-272 replacement

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, May 21, 2021.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It seems that this is a bad month for mom's aging electronics. First a clock radio, then the dishwasher, now this. As the one with the degree in computer information systems "aka high-tech gadgets", I'm the person mom calls upon when something electronic needs servicing.

The amplifier on my mother's stereo components, a Fisher CA-272 refuses to power on, acting like it is unplugged.
    Most of the components use RCA, however the radio tuner and the tape deck both use some kind of possibly proprietary power supply. If it's not proprietary, can you tell from the service manual what it is?

I had a peak at Good Will and they have Pioneer and Samsung stereos there that use standard AC plugs, but mom needs a new amp to power the tape deck and tuner and was resistant to buying a new stereo, or spending the $50 for the amp of the same model I saw on e-bay.

Any ideas on what to look for that would be compatible? I can't find the "operating instructions" online (though I might be able to scan them myself) but I can find a "service manual" easily by Googling "Fisher CA-272 manual". Unfortunately, I'm an A+ Certificated computer hardware technician, not an electrical engineer, and my reading electrical diagrams is rusty, as is my skill with working on individual components like this. I'd have been better 30 years ago when I was a preteen. I don't think I can use the service manual to try to fix it, and even if I could identify what was wrong, I have no idea where I could expect to get parts since Radio Shack is closed (and they haven't been good for that type of thing since the early '90s).

So, does anybody have a clue what that type of power hookup is called so I know what to look for, or is it proprietary?
    I did find a manual for the CA-273 model, and it looks like it uses standard plugs, so my parents got gypped. Too bad I wasn't old enough to read more than Dr. Seuss when they bought it. On the other hand, it lasted well over 35 years before it was an issue and it was future-proof enough that we (ok, I was tasked with finding something compatible and hooking it up for mom) were able to hook up a cd player in the early 2000's, 20 years after it was purchased.
    [​IMG]
    The power supply is labeled:
    Cassette
    AC 16V/MAX
    680mA FOR
    CR-W45
    CR-W51 ONLY

Tuner
    AC 19V/MAX
    450mA FOR
    FM-272 ONLY

So, any suggestions on replacements? I think she can use the record player with anything, and I know the cd player is just a standard RCA audio cable and it's plugged into the wall. The problem is the tape deck and the radio since the amp is dead.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since the service manual has the parts list and schematic including voltage test points, why not take a crack at it? At least open it up and see if there's something obvious. Electrolytic capacitors are typically the things that go bad after years; do you see any that are bulged or leaking? You can easily get discrete parts online from places like Mouser, Jameco, Digikey, etc.

3. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Also might be worth testing the power output from the supply she has. That at least would confirm whether the supply or the amp is at fault.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I honestly haven't tinkered with electronics beyond replacing a broken plug since I was a kid. I'm not sure I remember what I'm doing.
    That said, at this point all I know is it won't power up, it's like it is unplugged even though I've verified it's a good outlet. Mostly by unplugging the lamp on top of the cabinet and plugging the amp in where the [lit] lamp was, then plugging in the lamp where the amp was. Still the same 4-plug outlet, which is full with the amp, the lamp, the CD player, and the video tape rewinder (the first two VCRs died when rewinding, so my parents bought an external device to do rewinding as that seemed to be the weak point of the VCR).

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'd have to open it up if I'm reading this correctly, I did test the wall outlet and it's just a non-detachable power cord from the back of the amp to the wall outlet.
    I didn't bother with testing equipment for that test. There was a 3-way lamp sitting on top of one of the speakers and I just turned on the lamp, saw it light up then swapped the plugs on the amplifier and the lamp. The light lit up, the amp did not.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.