1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Body of 2-year-old boy snatched by alligator recovered

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Jun 15, 2016.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Now that's a nightmare scenario.

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah that's a pretty sad situation. What's worse is when the media gets involved and suddenly everyone starts pointing fingers at the parents as if they didn't have enough to worry about.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It is things like this that can bring out the worst in strangers. As a parent of a 20 year old I have to tell you it is amazing how much work and effort parents put in to make sure their kids stay alive. I personally don't see any blame on anyone in this situation. I don't see anything that the parents did wrong. I'm also not sure that Disney did anything wrong (although I'm sure they will write a hefty check for PR purposes).

5. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Apparently Alligators are the "resident" pet at Disney. This is really gonna bite them in the ass! (no pun intended)

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't know enough about the situation to really judge, but one would assume that any body of water where alligators are known to reside that's close to a place that people/tourists frequent would have either some kind of barrier to keep the public away from the animals; or at least plenty of warnings posted so people don't get too close to the water - let alone having their children playing near it.

7. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hell, I just seen one climb a chain link fence! This was bound to happen one day. Children are like small animals, easy to prey.

8. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well at the very least since the 4year old boy drowned in Tommy Lee´s pool
    http://edition.cnn.com/2003/LAW/04/17/ctv.tommy.lee/
    everyone knows that children, even older than the child at Disney´s, should never be alone/unattended for more than a minute in any body of water, even if it´s a pool in a home´s garden.

I know that it´s the US where everyone is supposedly stupid and unable to live being responsible for himself and needs several signs to be aware that e.g. HOT FRESH COFFEE IS HOT! and without that can sue McDonalds for a million - but an open body of water in Florida is no place any small child should wade into alone regardless if the sign only states "no swimming".

I mean even I know that the Everglades are closeby and that Alligators roam the waters in Florida and I have never been there. And since Crocodile Dandy we all know how quickly such an animal can assault the waterline

The sad thing is that now people act surprised that the natural wildlife they enjoy watching, acts *naturally* and 5 alligators get killed for human failure.

9. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    One thing you have to understand about Florida, if the body of water is more than 3 feet wide, it probably contains an alligator. NEVER assume a waterway is 100% safe, even at Disney.
    They tens to prefer still waters to rivers, but yeah they are everywhere here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.