1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

One very pissed off Shralp -- technical question

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shralp, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] I just entered the Underdark from the Saguahin city. And I can't get out. It seems that no matter what route I try to take out of the first underdark map the program crashes as it tries to load the next map.

I'm running Windows ME, and I wonder whether that could be the problem.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Do you have the minimum install, or the full? In BG1 I used to run into that problem all the time, when in reinstalled it with all of the maps preloaded everything worked fine (eats up a lot of hard drive space though.)

3. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

I didn't do the full install. If I uninstall completely and do a full (I should have enough drive space), will I lose my saved games?

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Normally you wont lose savegames, portraits, added files in the override folder etc.

Though I'd advise you do a backup of the savegames, just in case.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 22, 2001).]

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

one savegame also fits easlily on a floppy.... You can just delete the game first, it will ask yuo to keep the savegames... then you can load them again after doing the full install.

6. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Ok, well doing the full install solved the problem. I may not have to wilt horridly.

Interestingly, I had to do it with my CD-RW drive instead of my standard drive, which is much faster.

I just ordered BG1 (I would've done it from here, Vaunted Sitemasters, but it was soooo cheap on ebay!), so I'm looking forward to encountering a whole truckload of problems getting that to work on Windows ME. That OS crashes more than any other I've worked with, and I've used all (PC-based) kinds of 'em.

[This message has been edited by Shralp (edited August 23, 2001).]

7. Gueng Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree. WinME is a royal piece of garbage. I would highly recommend obtaining a copy of Win 2000. Just make sure you run the patch for BGII-SoA if you have that with Win 2K.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Windows ME isn't bad when you just use programs that are made for Windows ME. When you have programs for an older Windows version, this can sometimes give problems. With BG there shouldn't be problems in ME.

9. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Well, if I'm having problems with BG2, doesn't it make sense that BG1 would be even worse? Wasn't it made for Win 95 while BG2 was for Win 98?

10. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

What's Windows ME? You don't mean Windows NT, do you. (You're making me glad that I *don't* know.)

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

windows ME = windows millenium I think, and from everyone who use it, I've heard nothing but complaints about it. It sucks up memory, random crashes (more frequent than win98, BAD!) etc.

ME sucks, plainly translated ;)

12. Avooch Dar Guest

Thank god!
    someone realises!
    I have ME and i am losing disk space for no reason at regular intervals does anyone know a patch for this???????
    (just to show how serious this is) If i can't stop this soon i won't have enough memory to run BG2!!!!!!!!!!!arghhhhh!!!

13. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Windows ME is the worst operation system I've ever had. I cannot shutdown my pc, because it chrases every time. So I choose the "restart" option and then turn off my computer. I have a 2Gigs system partition (with only Windows ME, and a few applications) and I have only 200 Mega free...
    It's terrible!

[This message has been edited by Alyr Arkhon (edited August 26, 2001).]

14. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Because this is Baldur's gate board, I just say little about WinME.

Actually I'm using WinME cheerfully now, as for your HD-space eating problem, I think it's *System Restore*'s work, go to my computer-->performance-->file systems-->trouble shooting section, disable *system restore* function, then restart your PC, delete some entries in msconfig App, further on some backup hidden files in HD...No more telling now :)

Wish it'll help!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.