1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First Baldur's Gate experience?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Apeman, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] Was Baldur's Gate you first experience in D&D, Forgotten realms, CRPG's, Infinity Engine??

And if yes (or no but later you played it), what was your first 'feel' of the game.

I actually noticed BG first when I was browsing through my favourite gamestore when I saw a huge poster of Sarevok! I was in my Diablo 1 phase then and recently got introduced into PCrpg's (diablo and MMVI) and asked what game BG was.

An entire story came out about how great this game was going to be and how it would change crpg's forever, I was like yeah whatever but one thing struck me the most.

"When putting on armor or weapons or even helmets it would be shown ingame"

That was the one thing I missed from diablo where you only had three changes.

Now when I finally got that game I made a character with no knowledge of D&D at all and got out of candlekeep. Imagine my surprise when I got killed by a wolf :D

I took the game back the day after :eek:

Now after another year I bought it together with Totsc, and got hooked to IE games ever since.

2. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I played IWD once on my really old pc, i guess when it first came out (my mate had it), but i didnt really like it.

Then after i saw LOTR i thought, "yeah, BG would be a bit like LOTR. Maybe i'll buy it." So i did, and it was pretty cheap.

So, BG was pretty much the first IE experience i had coz i only played IWD for about 5 minutes back then.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Baldur's Gate was (of course) my introduction to D&D CRPGs. I was visitting some friends of my parents, and they let me use their computer since there was nobody else on my age around. On the computer desk, I found a copy of Baldur's Gate, and since there was no other games around I thought I could give it a try. A few days later, I had got myself my own copy of the game.

It was good, but not as good as Might and Magic VII. Didn't play much else those first weeks though :) . My first character was a chaotic good dwarven cleric.

[ January 14, 2003, 20:30: Message edited by: Mollusken ]

4. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] It was the first CRPG I played on the PC, and indeed, I bought it the day I actually ordered my PC. The range of Crpg's was actually the reason I went and got a PC in the first place mind you. The IE was very user friendly and my time through I was fighter mage who got his ass handed to him on a plate until the party decided bows were good despite the low damage :lol: . The dukes party when those doppelganers appeared was the hardest fight for him as I didn't try to max out HP's and took what I was given. It has fond memories for me, and the first game I felt truely captured the AD&D game well. :)

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Revenant was my first RPG experience, ugh.. BG made my day though while I was searching through the gamestack at the local library.. after a few days I bought it plus the expansion Woohooo

It sucked away at least 1 and a half year of my life

[ January 14, 2003, 22:17: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Ah this brings back memories! Well it was pretty soon after having got my first computer. I played a demo of BG1 (biggest demo i ever had on that comp 400mb on my puny 1.7 GB hard drive lol). I thought it was pretty good. Then i saw it for £20, with expansion. On the back it said something like 100 hours of gameplay, 156,000,000 screens. All the other good-ish games in the shop were £30+ and i only had £25. So i bought it and played it solidly for about a year. I also introduced 2 friends to DnD CRPG's which made for some good LAN gaming.

Yes it was my introduction to both D&D and CRPG's (and RPG's) in general.

My first character (and yes i was one of the people who spent about 2 hours on their character) was a Human Neutral Evil Fighter - Lazy Bonzo :heh:

[ January 15, 2003, 19:20: Message edited by: Lazy Bonzo ]

7. Walker Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Actually, my first CRPG that got me hooked into this genre was Planescape: Torment (got it at one of those used stores that you can trade in old programs), and that got me hooked! Then I bought BG, and I learned a whole new experience to the games, armor changed the look of the character! Now I got BGII, Icewind Dale and the add ons to all of those games (TOB, HOW, and TOTSC). As soon as I get my new computer (in 5 or 6 days), I'm going to play BG from beginning to end!
    :hippy:

8. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Baldurs Gate was my first CRPG. Being an old PnP DnD guy, I wanted something based on the DnD system, and BG was the ticket. Wow! To see and hear towns come to life for the first time. Great game. I still play it.

9. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well I did play Eye of the Beholder on a console (SNES???) years ago. But I consider BG1 (with TotSC) my first true total immersion into the AD&D world. I got it just a week or so before 9/11/01. I made a Elf Mage (CG), my all time favorite Race/Class, and got killed right away by one of those assassins in CandleKeep. I only had 6 HP and 6 AC so I was an easy target. I restarted as a Paladin and am playing through BG2 now with him.

10. X Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I played D&D first edition as a child and then second now third as my first experience hehe buuuut I did play BG then its expansions.. (played torment at the same time) and then BG2 and expansion were fun...

now... i always love Torment it is my favorite... but i also love all of the BGs. hehe they are very fun for everyone i would think.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I first read a review of this great game in a Hyper magazine. Sounded pretty good with a whopping 98%. About a year or two later when BG2 had just come out I saw it and remembered the review. It was cheap, so I bought it. Then spend months and months doing little else but play it

12. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It's amazing how the first time you play BG1, it takes absolutely ages to finish it. But then if you play it again, it takes nowhere near the same ammount of time.

13. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Unfortunately i could meet with Baldur's Gate last year my entrance to infinity was Bg2. Once we tried to play FRP in a local cafe before BG2 and i didn't like it.But after my experiences with Baldur's Gate series i wanted to start it but couldn't find a good group to play it,(everyone were lamers)

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I remember borrowing BG from Frosty, it was a temporary trade - BG1 for B&W, she has still got B&W but I have my own version of BG now.

I remember thinking the my people looked funny and that the fog was really annoying - I went around and soon thought - this game is great! After a couple of days I finally got into the swing of it and found Gorion ( :lol: )

I then found a suicidal man, a fat bloke and two weirdos on the road ahead, then I found the edge of the map, I was so proud :lol:

15. Kleptomaniac Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

BG1 wasn't my first CRPG experience (that title goes to Fallout 2). However, after playing the Fallout games to death, I really needed a change, something a bit more classic and, ehm, fresh. So I thought, what the hey, and bought the first game that came to mind.
    It wasn't that simple though, at first, I hated the game. It seemed crude and difficult after Fallout, and I wasn't used to the rules and restrictions. So, I put the game on the shelf and didn't touch for about a year.
    Eventually though, I gave it another shot, and it was then when I fell in love with it. After finishing BG1 and it's Xpack, I bought Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment, and loved these as well. Not too long ago I also finished BG2. Currently, I'm making my way through Icewind Dale II and Throne of Bhaal.

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I first played p&p D&D back in 1978 or 79 and have played RPGs (also Shadowrun, Rolemaster, and some others) sporadically ever since, but I've managed to avoid Forgotten Realms in all that time. Hubby got Dungeon Master and Diablo, but BG2 was our intro to CRPGs (as opposed to first-party hack-n-slash). As soon as we're done ToB, we're going to start a new party all the way back in BG1.

17. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Memories..... I was at a friend, back in 1999 (January) He just got BG1 for X-mass, he show me I was LOST he was tryng to explain me THAC0 when I was just wondering why mage had less Hit-point... :lol: never realy play it "sigh" out there

Back in 2001 I bought BG2 WOW!!!!! I loved it, two years later a friend of mine give me a copy of the original game but he warned me; no dual wielding, no 1/2 orcs (anyway I NEVER use those, they are... ugly and...green) no kit, not so food graphic, with that in mind I install it, play it My! It's even better than the 2! I'm going to make the looooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg trip bg1-ToTSC-SOA-TOB with my Dual classed Fighter/Cleric 3/????

And then by this day I become the avatar of butt-kicking and found boo... What I am saying?! I am being control by the Baldur's Gate? YES! Should I try finding a way to remove this gift from heaven?

18. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Oh, yeah, BG was my introduction to D&D. I saw my best friend playing it, and I was simply amazed by it. She let me borrow it, and I was so hooked that I never gave her copy back to her. LOL Oh well, she didn't fuss about it. I still have that copy too. So, that's my story.

19. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Baldur's Gate was my first CRPG experience. Having played varies console RPGs and Diablo. When I first saw BG, my jaw dropped. It was so amazing I was instantly intoxicated with joy. I stumbled apon an entire genre I never even knew existed, and deep down inside, it was exactly what I was craving for, exactly what I wanted. A dream game come true. I literally wish games like this existed long before I discovered them, and my wishes came true. Playing through BG was a timeless event. It was like tasting ice cream for the first time. From then on it seemed I played ever CRPG I could get my hands on.

20. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My first CRPG was Phantasie II on Atari ST,
    then Phantasie I, Phantasie III,
    then Dungeon Master;
    Then Ultima Underworld on PC, Lands of Lore, and Might & Magic 3-5.
    I received BG1 as a gift and am addicted to it since (like sprees).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.