1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monks and their weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Carathrax, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Carathrax Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] In the long run, what is better? To use only the fists, or weapons like Katana, Scimitar, Short Sword, etc?

EDIT: Also, how good is really the fists in the lower levels? Can it match the Katana's 1d10?

[ December 10, 2002, 15:17: Message edited by: Carathrax ]

2. Nocturno Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well if you like your character swinging swords, you wouldn't choose a monk, would ya?
    When I played a monk I always let him use his fists. You can use swords, katanas or whatever, but a monk will always have more attacks per round using his fists. And remember that a monk can only be proficient (one +) in weapons. You can (and should btw) always put swords in the monks' extra weapon slot for their special abilities (i.e. Sunray for Daystar, Free Action for Arbane's Sword, etc...)

3. Karunirin Rochambeau Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My monk (Adrian if anyone gets the reference) had 4 attacks a turn, at -4 THAC0, unarmed. With the Daystar he had 1 attack at 1 THAC0. Monks are made to be unarmed fighters. While they sort of suck at the start, 2 attacks at d6 is better than 1 at d8, with less THAC0 and speed. Plus, eventually you get d20+3 fists at speed factor 0, with up to 5 attacks (in SoA) a turn. They are truly a sight at later levels. Add the AC bonus (and Keldorn's armor), and thewy rock. Mine had a -4 AC from C2-6, then went to -6.

4. Jim Babwe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

My monk struggled a little bit early on, but the Baahl abilities help make up for it. Being able to use vampiric touch, larloch's minor drain and horror allow the monk to be used less as a front liner, filling in up front when necessary or engaging enemies trying to get at your spell casters. At higher levels though, they become one man unarmed wrecking machines. Going into the final battle, My lvl 19 monk had an AC of -8, approx. 80% magic resistance, negative saving throws in all categories and would typically deal out 30-40 pts of damage per hit unarmed. I would also recommend equipping weapons purely for their special abilities and doing most of your fighting bare handed.

5. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

You can stick with the fists in later levels...if you want massive damage in your earlier levels, I recommend Gauntlets of Crushing.

6. Jim Babwe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You can't get the gauntlets of crushing until the Sahaugin City, which is not particularly early in the game. Once you get them your Monk will be deadly.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If you have the Bonus merchants, Joluv at the Copper Coronet sells a Scarlet Ninji-to +3 for about 22000 gold. I suggest you buy that (before heading out of chapter 2) while you're still leveling up the fists.

It's a scimitar +3 that poisons when they don't save vs death. And it grants an extra attack per round. So it can take out Iron Golems, and the poison damage can kill trolls (so you can clear the De'Arnisse Keep out real early and work on your stronghold quest).

Once you do switch to fists, you'll still need some troll killing weapon, and this scimitar does the trick. Fists become +3, so you don't have to use the scimitar to kill Iron golems later on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.