1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is a Beast Master worth it?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, May 7, 2014.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It seems he gets his summoning spells awfully late and they aren't very effective at those levels:

level 8 = MS1
    level 10 = MS2
    level 12 = MS 3

or am I misjudging the spells effectiveness?

Anyone ever try this character?

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes. They suck in ToB. Their summons are useless in the late game. But if you are only playing through SoA, they are worth trying. I used him as an Archer/Reach warrior, fighting from behind his summons. I solo'd him.

At character creation I put ** LB, ** Spear, ** Halberd. Added Warhamer next and * more in 2WF Style. But my game is heavily modded with tons of extra content, including extra equipment that is not in the vanilla game.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They're decent. Underwhelming compared to other ranger kits, but you still end up getting HLAs like Greater Whirlwind. Blades is right about the summon animal spells. What's worse is that they don't even get these summon animal spells at the levels you start BG2 with.

In BG1 they have a massive advantage over other warrior-types thanks to their innate Summon Familiar spell, and in early BG2 they do have a tiny edge if you pick Chaotic Good and get the Faerie Dragon (it can cast an aoe Invisibility spell).

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    How do people solo? I have a hard enough time with a hole party. Lol.

5. polyblip Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Main advantage to solo is you level up much* faster. Also, a lot of folks have played this so many times, it's the best way to challenge themselves.

6. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Instead of soloing, I usually exit Chateau Irenicus by myself (beating the crap out of imoen to get her to leave if i have to), do a couple quest solo, and proceed to get a party at a much higher level than I normally would be.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Solo is somewhat of a challenge at first but if you choose the quests carefully you'll level up quickly without much difficulty. Solo basically takes advantage of a flaw in the game in that the PC becomes exponentially more powerful with increasing level even though levels are gained linearly -- this is especially true with spell casters. A 20th level character will easily smoke 2 10th level characters (perhaps even 10 10th level characters). HLA's and specialty weapons make things even more unbalanced. In SoA the character just becomes too powerful for even Firkraag to challenge -- the extremely powerful enemies in ToB up the difficulty for solo.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, you level up fast soloing. You level up incredibly fast when you you solo a character that can cast Arcane Magic(Mage or Bard levels, not true for Sorcy) as you get tons of XP from memorizing Scrolls. You can really leve up fast as a Bard when soloing. It's defnitely my favorite solo class. Pure Druid is a close 2nd. Archer with Improved Invisiblity is pretty awesome as well.

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    If your doing it just to level why don't you just make a ToB character, export it & use it for SoA?

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The goal is not to level quickly, that is just what makes it easier than it perhaps should be.

For me, I like to solo because it's less micro-management. It's also a good way to focus on a specific class and learn all it's intricacies. For instance, I normally don't use spellcasters a lot, mostly they sit on the back row and throw rocks or whatever and occasionally break out the big spells for the somewhat more difficult fights.

So a solo is a good way to force myself to use a spellcaster more. Or to learn how to handle the tougher fights with warrior classes.

It's a challenge mode where some things are easier, and some things are more difficult. Fighting Sarevok in BG1 with a solo fighter-assassin was the easiest fight with Sarevok I ever had. Just needed 3-4 potions of invisibility.

11. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I hardly use spells either. I always tell myself "No hold them for the big fights" and then still never use them. Also keep telling myself to use potions (non-healing ones) and scrolls but never do. Lol.
    About the only time I do use spells is when I prep for a fight. I'll get all my buffs up and then get to the fight.

12. Blades of Vanatar

I have used up to 5 arcane spellcasters in a party. PC Fighter/Mage, Immy, HD, Aerie and Nalia. Add any warrior to the mix and you are an ass-kicking team-machine. 5 Skull Traps, 5 Fireballs or 5 Cloudkills in SoA is some pretty hefty damage. Or try using in combo to start a battle - Grease, Entangle, Stinking Cloud, Web, Cloudkill/DeathFog and pretty much stand back and lob in more Fireballs, Lances of Disruption,etc.. and the fun really begins. Held/Stunned/Sleeping opponents are also nice targets for mutilple Lightning Bolts.....SIZZLE!.....Sunfire is pretty good too, especially for a solo PC when mobbed.

Magic is awesome. Purposely try using magic more often during battle. The game has decent graphics so the special effects can be nice to watch.

13. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Sounds interesting. If you had Keldorn and his "kill mages" button as your only warrior, I imagine throwing 5 fireballs into a crowd of unprotected mages and clerics would be quite entertaining :)

14. Blades of Vanatar

Eggzachary...:D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.