1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Naturalists/Naturists

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Septic Yogurt, Jan 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, heres my idea (totally serious)

I am going to make a party of nude people j/k.

I am considering making an MP party of 6 people attuned to nature made up of rangers and druids, I can use the stalker for thiefing stuff, the avenger for mage spells etc, I belive with taking full advantage of the kits I can make a balanced party with roleplaying in mind, the entire party would be a group of nature gadgys etc, I would make 5 people and recruit jaheria to make it even, what do you think of this?

2. Wassup Gems: 9/31

Maybe it`s time for you to play another game.

3. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

Nah, i just get bored with the same thing over and over and over and over again quickly, so I want change.

4. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG]
    I've thought about making the same kinda party... if you want more NPC interaction, you could recruit Jaheira, Cernd, Minsc, and Valygar and still keep the theme going. Minsc isn't much of a Ranger in mindset, but he *is* a Ranger. :)

I myself am gonna make an all-mage party next time I play. I'll probably permit a multi-class Mage/Cleric for healing, and a thief/mage for trap disarming, but otherwise all magic-users (and maybe an Avenger for a little variety).

5. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

"Nah, i just get bored with the same thing over and over and over and over again quickly, so I want change."

LOL!

I'm surprised you finished BG2 with that comment considering how drab the game becomes after Chapter 3.

I simply couldn't do it. The game was fun, but after awhile I started to notice something. It's the samething over and over again in different areas.

You need this item to give to that person so they can give you another item to give to another person so that person can give you another item to get into a new area!

OH BOY! A new area to explore!

Suddenly, you realize all the graphics have changed, but nothing else has. You meet up with someone and realize that you need them to get to another place but before that happens you need to do this to do that to get this to get that.

Can we say uninstall?

Thankfully the Underdark changes direction and makes it feel like you're doing things for a reason and not just because the game designers needed to put in another 12hrs of playing time, filling it with useless dribble that makes one yawn, quit the game and find something better to do.

Mind you, I never got that far. Brynnlaw seriously let me down and Spellhold. HA! What a joke. One of the worst designed areas of the game that I had played.

I think game review sites need to review the games after playing them for a few months. Even I was fooled into thinking BG2 was worth all those 90% or more. How wrong I was.

Syl...

6. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Sylvus, could it be that the pressure of making the perfect walkthrough has reduced your enjoyment of playing the game? I did not find it half as bad as you suggest, less 'fed-exing' than BG1, better characterisation than IWD and anything with Irenicus or Bodhi in got the adrenaline pumping. It's one of the few CRPGs I have played thru twice (good & evil).

Ah well, only 9 months to NWN when we can see how much variety 100 DM's can provide!

7. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31

Who says I have finished it?

8. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

IMO, if you go through the game noting down all the xp you get for pretty much every quest, and what traps are where and what enemies are where and what items are where etc like you Syl, you will loose pretty much most of the enjoyment from the game. You should play through the game first, purely before enjoyment before getting serious and doing a walkthrough as thourough as yours. Thatt's my opinion anyway.

9. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

It's not the walkthrough, as I've told Sorcerer as well.

It's the game. Even if I sit down and play it normally, it's still the same game. It's still the same "get this to get that to do this to do that" quests. Nothing changes and it's those very things that annoy me with BG2.

It's the little things that really get to me too. Example is Spellhold. I walk into the room where Irenicus is with my party, but I can't do anything. He kills me everytime because I don't have the rest of Spellholds occupants with me in the room. I dislike being forced fed a particular situation. Who says I can't defeat Irenicus then? Why do I need to go all the way up to talk to everyone, to do this, to do that, just to get this to do that. It annoys me.

"Oh yes! I have the item you need...BUT first I need you to do something for me."

You try to pickpocket the item and nothing. It's not there. So where is it? So you do the quest. "Oh. I'm sorry, I forgot the item is in Calyia's house! You'll have to talk to her. Boo hoo" So you go to Calyia's house but she's not there. Some thugs are who just robbed her house "Haha! She's dead and now our master has the item! HAHA! Boo hoo!" Just give it up already. Drives me crazy. It's not good story telling, it's leading you around like a puppy.

The experience is a joke and so are all the magical items. It's maunty haul syndrome, something the DM book tells you to avoid. Why do I get 22,000xp for talking to a lonely Paladin in the cemetary, then walk some 20 feet to talk to a priest with a girl with no parents, then tell the Paladin there is a girl who needs to be taken care of?

22,000xp? For what?!

You're all brain washed if you don't see it! :D

Syl...

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Have you ever heard of the sociological "scapegoat theory" Syl?
    Not wanting to be sarcastic or anything, but you seem like a textbook case. (And I would know, I've been studying it long enough). :D

You blame everything on the game without every thinking for a moment that it could be you, the whole walkthrough thing, etc.

You say you're forced to do those quests... By whom? No one can force you to do them. You can skip 90% of them, save the ones that are essential to progress through the game. You could wrap up the whole Brynnlaw in 5 minutes if you wanted.
    Arrive, kill vampires, go to house, kill mage, take wardstone, enter Spellhod. NO ONE is forcing you to spend 3 hours in that area doing all the quests and killing all pirates. Except... This is where the walkthrough you had to do comes in. So, are you still claiming it had nothing to do with it?

And that example in Spellhold is valid, it pissed me off too. But that's probably the only such one in the game. At least the only one I can remember. And if you had killed him there already, don't you think the game'd be over too soon?
    It's like in the movies... you can't kill the main actor (or villain) after 20 minutes...

So my point is, you're fooling no one but yourself.

11. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

I think I know what I am and who I am. LOL. But study away if it helps you get better marks in school.

If it wasn't the game, I'd still be playing it as I did with IWD when I created that solution. There is no where to look but the game itself. If I was enjoying myself, I'd still be playing but that is not the case. It's history now. Time for something new.

Syl...

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Let me reiterate... you're fooling no one but yourself. :p

13. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Goodbye Sorcerer.

14. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Oh boy, goodness!

Goodness, deary me. What shall I make of all this....

15. Doltan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Let me get this straight, Syl. I am obviously new to this board. But, it seems to me that the guy with the most posts, and a moderator, doesn't even like the game. What's up with that? That's stupid. Why are you posting here so much (ego?)? I agree, I want plot as much as the next guy, but move on to books (reading or writing) if you want more story than a GAME can give. Sorry to be harsh, but that is seriously screwed up.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    LOL.
    Good one, Doltan. Couldn't have written a better touche myself.

But psst... I'm actually the one running the website and these boards, and I still love BG2. So don't worry. ;)

17. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Screwed up is it?

Helping people who are enjoying the game is screwed up?

Being friendly to those who need that help is screwed up?

Just because I dislike the game doesn't mean that the knowledge I have gained from playing it should go to waste. Now I had no idea that to be a moderator, there were rules to it. If I recieved it because Sorcerer thought I liked the game, then by all means he'll take me off now and make you look the one who knows all.

Wow. Who would have ever thought someone would have thrown in an ego comment. Good job.

Syl...

18. Weasel Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Ego?? Who you Sly. No not you. :rolleyes:

19. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If you're new Doltan, you should know that this issue has roots that go way before you came. It's not just about the walkthrough. It's not just about BG2.

I know that it's very exciting to get across a point of view, but you're contributing nothing right now by concentrating on the "apparent" issue.

20. Weasel Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Sly you mean your helping me by telling me the game is boring. Well believe it or not I can think for myself. As for being nice to the people you help, I guess mine and your way of be nice to people differ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.