1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Accents and TSR roleplay

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chelsea, Dec 31, 2000.

1. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

What is it with TSR?

Why do they insist on giving odd accents to AD&D races. I mean....Dwarves as Scots. What the HELL is that about ?

Do Scots mine a lot - No

Do they covet Gems and Gold - No more than most.

Are they short and stocky? - No

So why the Sam Hill are they always seen by TSR as Scots. If anyone they would probably be the Welsh (mine a lot, close harmony singing, tough buggers)

And WHAT is going on with Jahiera's accent?
    Are Jaherira and Khalid suitable names for the characters. Khalid is Indian isn`t it?

Is this all just down to TSR/Wizards of the Coast's lack of worldly knowledge? Am I blowing it all out of proportion?

Sorry needed to get this off of my chest. Maybe you agree maybe not. Maybe you were not aware of hese things (nd work for TSR?).

Happy New Years anyhow.

2. Yes. You're blowing it outta proportion.

My dwarf's a Rastafarian, mon.

3. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Interesting... in Forgotten Realms, who created the common tongue? Sword was a word coined by a human, on Earth. So they can't use the word 'sword' in D&D, because its unoriginal, and is copying something from the real world. They can't speak English, (AKA 'common') because it was a derivation of several languages, all of which are Earth-originated. My point is: there need be no connection, it is a fantasy realm. Certain things just ARE, 'Cuz some guy said so. Had he not, we'd all be REALLY confused.

Actually, the reasoning comes from the high durability of the people. Little to no group of people, save the Vikings, compare to the great fortitude of the Scottish. They are stout, stubborn, bull-headed, and tough much like a Scottish clansmen. They have a keen sense for danger, valor, kindredship, and a high sense of honor. In addition, any voice less gruff would make you not take them seriously. Can you imagine a French Dwarf? I'd kill him on the spot, little freak-of-nature bastard...

(I sure as hell hope there are no French sufferers of Achondroplasia on this board.)

Amon-Ra

(okay, TSR, where's my $100)

[This message has been edited by Amon-Ra (edited December 31, 2000).]

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Something similar to this discussion came up in an interview with some of the original makers of d&d and the Forgotten Realms in general.
    In the end, it all boils down to the fact that when the Forgotten Realms were first created they stole just about every creature and idea from Tolkien, and added VERY little of their own. One of the few things that stayed and are fundamentally unchangable today is the scottish accent for the dwarves.
    In other words, if SOMEONE had a bit more imagination back then, things would be different today.
    But then again, since it worked rather well and no one bothered to change a thing that is not broken, the scottish accent stayed and practically no one today can imagine a dwarf without it.

Amon-Ra wrote the rest of what I wanted to say, so read that again if you want. ;)

Btw Chelsea, next time start threads such as this one in the Whatnots forum, OK?

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 31, 2000).]

5. hooligan_inc Guest

They should have more scousers. Make me feel right at home...

6. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Well I would probably add another passing arguement here that may factor in. When it comes to any fantasy type game we humans mix some 'reality' into it. When the vast majority of people think of times like the 'Middle Ages', most people think of specific European areas and accents associated with them.

Fantasy books and games draw upon that connection to present a 'common ground' that the consumer can equate to. Perhaps a wise and standard marketing tool?

I know when I think of the Middle Ages I don't think of North America or South America, Africa or other areas -although they all were completely inhabited during those years.

Like most, when it comes to 'Middle Age' type genre I think of Europe and European accents for both Fantasy... and reality. Just the way the westernized world has been educated (mis?)I suppose.

7. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

yeah but...

Do dwark drink a lot? yes.

Do Scots drink a lot? yes.

hehhe..

8. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Then surely by the drinking criteria they should be Irish?

Or Aussies?

Btw, to the big T....Sorry did not know there was a whatnots board. I have made this board a fave place and just come here. can`t really surf the site as i am on the AOL unlimited access at th mo and it is VERY slow and VERY unstable.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  10. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

French Dwarves.... YEAAAAH, there exists French Dwarves, Amon-Ra, hehe :D lol :D.

Several friends of mine like a lot to play Dwarves in P&P games or in LARP games, and THEY are French ;). But, are they really dwarves (sure, you thought that, isn't it ?), well ok, you are right, they are not like those Dwarves described in Legends.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.