1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kits tiny lil' problems (or should I say: bugs)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Extremist, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Why wouldn't you suguest buying thing from Bioware extremist??? Shure I've noticed the "bugs" while playing a few char. but it doesn't really bug me. It made me wonder why sometimes...but that won't stop me from buying and playing future Bioware games. Drop a line to Bioware and see what they have to say about these "bugs", maby they will come out with a new patch just for you. :rolling:

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Istari, thanks for your specialization observations, I'll think more about it...

But about the probability? 1d7+1 and 2d4 are noty totally same, but not because probabilities.
    Computer works this way: random number is always between 0 and 1. What d&d munchkins call dice is nothing but a multiply function on random number.

So the computer doesn't throw any dice, but xdy+z would look as this:
    ((RandomNum1*(x-1))+1)*(RandomNum2*(y-1)+1)+z

why are those -1 and +1? Because you can't work with value of 0 by d&d rules. You can't have a dice with number 0 at one side, right? ;)

Anyway, 1d7+1 is then:
    ((RandomNum1*(1-1))+1)*(RandomNum2*(7-1)+1)+1
    = ((RandomNum1*0)+1)*(RandomNum2*6+1)+1
    = 1*(RandomNum2*6+1)+1 = RandomNum2*6+2

2d4 is:
    ((RandomNum1*(2-1))+1)*(RandomNum2*(4-1)+1)+0
    = ((RandomNum1*1)+1)*(RandomNum2*3+1)+0
    = (RandomNum1+1)*(RandomNum2*3+1)

After the multiplying calculations with random numbers, from the result are of course removed decimals.
    Spot that in first case first random number is obsolete, while in second case it's not. But this is actually not very important, the results tend not to be different.

I'll just ask Ragusa to post what answer he got for noting the Beholder bugs.
    BG2 is now old game. Bioware had more than enough time to fix all bugs. Instead of that, they are releasing Star Wars RPG for console as a reward to all of those faithful customets who bought BG2 for PC. If you don't feel betrayed, well sir, that's ok with me. But I do feel betrayed. And deceived. Of course, you have all my blessings on buying the Star Wars RPG. I'll skip that game.

3. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The elemental summoning spells summon elementals with different hit dice, hold should work on the one with lowest. (Don't know if it's doable, though.)

And also, sometimes an enemy casts confusion, a few of your party members get confused, displaying the animation. Simple so far? The trouble is, that when trying to select them, others are confused too, without displaying the animation :p

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31

LOL! I'm aware of the confusion animation problem - mainly it's because of Lilarcor.

You see, any NPC who wielded Lilarcor at least once gets permanent immunity to that animation which is bug, of course... lol

The only way to dispose this "permanent immunity to confusion animation" effect from the party member is to kill him/her and then resurrect him/her. But NPC mustn't have Lilarcor equipped after this or the not showing animation will appear again!
    Too bad you can't do this on your main hero...lol

btw, the fix on this problem is included in current version of SPfixpack, so if you install it, then kill/resurrect your NPC, the problem won't appear again.

5. Istari Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Oh great, now I managed to convince you I think computers have dice inside. I actually went for a less practical, more theoretical, approach. ;) Guess I simply asked for this lesson. Well, thanks.
    But what does The Wonderful Wizard of Oz have to do with it all?

This is totally off-topic, and will make an even greater idiot out of me (as you probably understand by now, I know next to nothing about both maths and computers), and you're probably too busy to answer anyway, but I don't get two things:
    If RanNum belongs to (0,1), it's pretty hard to get 8 out of RanNum*6+2 by rounding down;); I could understand RanNum*7+2, rounded down: then, for RanNum<1/7, the result is 2, and so on.
    (Or, let's say RanNum1/2 are both very small; then, after multiplication and rounding down, it is possible to get 1 out of 2d4 calculated the way you gave.)
    But you made a whole point about not getting zeroes before?
    So how it's actually rounded? Up, down, how?
    (Are you making fun of me?)

And the second thing:
    Why is it multiplication, and not simple addition, as in
    xdy+z=(RanNum1(y-1)+1)+...+(RanNumx(y-1)+1)+z
    ?

Since I'm asking idiotic questions anyway, might as well ask this one: the elements of the fixpack are independent, right? I could install everything apart from the Greater Wolfwere file, for instance? (It's great fun to fight a critter that's fully regenerating in a round!)

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

ROTFL!!! :grin:

It is multiply because xdy damage means x*y (x times throw dice with y sides). It is not x+y - that would be if you threw two dice: one with x sides, another with y sides.

But don't sweat over it all, it's actually totally unimportant. What matters is that the sword now won't provide MIN base damage 1 as before, but 2.

-----------

The files are mostly independant, but be very careful - some are not independant! Read the FixesList file to see if some file is linked to another.

For Gr. wolfwere bug forced back, you may just delete the RINGWOLF.ITM from override folder after you've installed the fixpack, and voila! ;)

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 28, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.