1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Batman

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by dmc, Jul 27, 2012.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Even with the shooting in Colorado, I'm surprised that no one has yet done a thread on the movie.

I saw it last night and thought it was great. The story was extremely well done for my tastes and I absolutely loved the entire ending (not just the last scene but the events leading to the climax all the way through).

I think that this was a really intelligent take on the Batman story.

I had some sound issues in the movie, but they may have been intentional in that there were some times where I just couldn't figure out what Bane was saying. Maybe a mouthful of metal does that . . .

I'm generally not a huge Anne Hathaway fan, but I thought she was really good in her role and played it well. Easy on the eyes, too.

For those who have not seen it, DO NOT click on this spoiler:

Seriously, you really don't want to click on this -- really.
    OK - you asked for it
    The plot twist with the real villain as Miranda was absolutely awesome! And shoving a knife in his side and literally twisting it was a nice touch. The autopilot thing was a little too well telegraphed, but I thought that the scene at the restaurant was perfect.

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    This should clear it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    dmc likes this.
  3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That was awesome! Batman does not fight the mentally challenged!

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I thought the unraveling at the end was pretty bad
    Some irrelevant chick turns out to be the bad girl! The scriptwriter should stop reading Dan Brown novels, or at least learn to properly foreshadow. Just dumping a bad guy to wrap up the plot isn't mind blowing, it makes the plot meaningless.
    Also, the ultimate reason why batman is called the Dark Knight? He wears a dark outfit. Woohoo. There's nothing metaphorical about it. I was hoping that batman would become lost in his misery and learns a violent streak. He doesn't.

and why does Bane sound like Scooby Doo?

Edit, and like with the previous movie, batman is still unintelligible: :p

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Most of it was good, but I was very disappointed by the last five minutes. I don't knew how to do spoiler alerts so I won't say any more but I would have much preferred it to end five minutes earlier. The last five minutes spoiled the tone of the whole movie.

6. Gaear

Media:
    Since this is sort of serving as the defacto Batman funny spoof videos thread, I'll add another one here that deals with the whole Robin theme in a very roundabout way.

(Warning: it's actually kind of violent.)

7. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I enjoyed it. Not as much as I did the second one, but it was solid nonetheless. I thought the guy playing Bane did a fantastic job, I had no idea it was the same guy who played Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemsis until I got home and looked him up, he really bulked up for this role.

Also I had a feeling that one guy would turn out to be Robin, he just struck me as the first real friend Bruce ever had from their origin stories.

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Very good movie. I`d say a 7 out of 10. The "weakest" of the trilogy, but still a very good watch.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Nobody else thought the last four or five minutes were lame?

10. dmc

Media:
    Not me. I really quite liked them. Part of the ending reminded me a little of the end of Good Will Hunting.

11. Gaear

Media:
    I haven't seen the new one yet, but I recently re-watched the first two. I actually found the first one a bit campy and not so good (with the exception of Scarecrow, who I thought was excellent). The second by comparison was very much 'serious business' and quite compelling.

How does the third stack up when compared directly to the second?

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I liked the ending. The actors and the novelization confirmed my suspicions about the ending, though. To be honest, i had to check to be sure.

I still preffer the first one in the series. thought it was great. the second one was...I dunno...It didn`t feel as if the movie was about Batman. Third one, in my opinion, is the weakest one. I`d give it a 7 out of 10. Something like that. Deffinatly worth the watch.

13. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

While it does try to keep the serious tone I thought it was a lot more "blockbustery." There's more explosions, the plot is a bit over the top in places and there's quite a few moments that break the "internal" realism of the films. If you accept Batman has fantastic ninja skills and his gadgets work he can pick off a dozen armed goons one or two at a time. Taking them all on together in a wide open space though just shouldn't work. Someone would just take a step back and shoot him.

Having said that, it is great, great fun. But in the artistic merits place I'd put it below the first.

I didn't like Bane or any of the other baddies who popped up. While Bane had some speeches he hardly had any proper conversations with other people at all and he reminded me of Jaws a bit. Not as interesting as Scarecrow, Ras al Ghul or the mob boss. And it was stupidly hard to make out what he was saying. Actually there's quite a few other lines which were hard to make out against the music.

Catwoman was a good character but a bit generic. The wayward rogue who has a good heart really and just needs to come around to the hero's thinking to be saved. The Batman Returns character was much more unique and I though Rachel Dawes was a stronger woman even without the ass kicking (especially Gyllenhal's). Hathaway was great with what she had though. I've seen a lot of people say they were surprised by her but I don't get why. Is it because she's normally in chick flicks?

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'll probably have to wait until it's on DVD ro see it. I don't get to the theatres where I am.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I still liked the second one the best, although I must say that in terms of plot connection, it really pulls more from the first movie than the second. (And yes, Scarecrow has a cameo in this movie too, so he's in all three.)

I think the reason I liked the second one the best of them all is that, yes, the Joker is meant to be an insane character, but in this series, he was more diabolical sociopath than just crazy.

That said, while I felt the ending was telegraphed, I didn't mind it at all. And yes, the plot twist at the end was excellent - totally didn't see that one coming (well not the very end - I'm talking about the plot twist that's revealed with like 10 minutes left in the movie).

16. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Overall, I liked it, even if the overall story was over the top.

But the second remains the best. Heath Ledger's interpretation of the Joker is immortalized.

Bane was pretty bad ass, but damn ... good luck making out anything he's saying. And I found Hathaway kinda bland as Cat Woman.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: - Mister Redundancy Man strikes again....

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It certianly was, but you kinda expect that going in, don't you? I mean not just Batman, but any superhero movie is going to be like that. They're ALL over the top.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.