1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LDS Baptising dead Jews

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by dmc, Mar 9, 2012.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My dad has a particularly hard time with this. Seems that the LDS church (or parts of it) has been baptising a whole bunch of dead people who weren't LDS in life, including many of the Jews that died in the Holocaust.

Now, me, I say "who gives a rip?" because I'm not a believer in any direction, so if the LDS way is right and this gives some dead people a shot at an afterlife they otherwise wouldn't get, where's the harm?

My dad, who is a practicing Jew, tried to explain why this bugs him. In that it involves buying into a belief system that I rejected over 30 years ago, I'm not too keen on following it, but I take it on faith (get it? I kill myself some times) that this is a legitimate gripe.

Now, the LDS Church has apparently put up a firewall on their genealogical records, with the expected outside accusation that this just shows that they are still baptising dead Jews even though they promised to stop.

Link

So, what do y'all think. Those present and past LDS folks -- what's up with this? Those who aren't LDS but do subscribe to some sort of religion -- would you object and, if so, why?

Me, like I said, I see no harm in it except for a lot of wasted LDS time, but if they want to spend that time, good for them.

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Being a Jew and a Romney supporter there was a recent attempt by a journalist to get him to talk about how often he does this. I believe his reponse was not in a long time or some sort of response. I believe this is the reason we are seeing/hearing more about this topic as it is an attempt to make Romney look foolish.

As to how I personally feel, I couldn't give two shakes either. To me it is no different then when people tell me they will pray for a sick person. Your prayers probably aren't going to the God that the sick person worships, but it is thought that counts.

However, I'm sure some Jewish person will eventually sue the LDS for emotional distress. Wait a minute this could be my ticket to easy street....

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't get it either way.

If you're a Jew, you don't believe that the baptism does anything do you? So what does it matter?

If you're a Mormon, it seems like a strange belief that you can baptize someone after they've already died... How long can you wait? And where's their soul in the meantime?

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's called Baptism for the Dead and is done in proxy. Most Mormon youth in areas with temples help. I think I was baptised for thirty or so. It has to do with the Mormons basic belief that without a "proper" baptism (performed by a person with the right 'authority') a person cannot get into the highest degree of glory (Mormon version of heaven).

It goes beyond this, of course, because the Mormons also perform marriages for the dead as well -- it's another requirement to get to heaven. In Mormon belief the person will have the right to accept or deny the ceremony during judgement.

It's very common for a Mormon to do their geneology and turn up an entire grouping of ancestors -- these names are then turned in to the church for baptisms and marriages (called sealings). All noted historic figures have had this done -- from Elvis to Alexander the Great. One notable exception is Martin Van Buren (at least as of 20 years ago) as he was visited by Joseph Smith with a request to help protect the Mormons. Van Buren ignored the request and so his "temple work" was not done. Which is the Mormon version of a whack on the pee-pee.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh! So this is what happened to Biorn the Viking. (Thanks for that vid btw, Tal)

I don't really mind what happens with my body after my death. Hack it into pieces, stuff it into litterbags and put me aside the railroad, for all I care. I guess I wouldn't object to being baptised after my death, but I would find it disrespectful if they did: I most likely will get a decent funeral and a biblical phrase on my headstone saying something that my soul is safe with God. That should be enough for them not to waste their time. And if they do, I seemingly still have the choice to refuse their offer ("Mormons believe the baptism ritual allows deceased people a way to the afterlife — if they choose to accept it."). I will choose refuse that. Also, my family and friends will most likely choose to hunt them down.

In short: It's futile, but dangerous.

8people likes this.
  7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I shall post a long form diatribe on this topic when I have access to a real keyboard.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Quite simply I think it's wrong, on a couple of levels.

For one, as a person of another faith I believe that they are wrong in their own faith :p

For another It's bad enough getting Jehovas Witness knocking on my door during life - when I'm dead I get mormons doing it instead?! Can't a deceased get a bit of peace and quiet around here!

The marriages aren't solely mormon territory either, I believe that certain asian traditions also involve marrying two deceased so that they have company in the afterlife. It's also a comfort to both the families and often a rigorous process of still finding the right partner, just without a pulse.

I'd also heard the baptisms are unnecessary - that when a person dies they have the opportunity to stand before their god anyway and accept or reject him. So why do it? Just to rile people up?

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I share that thought and it's why I don't bother (in this case).

10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Nobody has a right to dictate somebodies religion regardless of whether they're alive or dead. It's disrespectful of their beliefs and the life they chose to live

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Personally, I don't really care, but I can see why some people would be upset. I think Silvery summed it up nicely for me.

Well, if it ever becomes permanent, LDS has your back! (er, head?) :p

12. koliva Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Other religions also have ways of forcing themselves on people. Think about infant baptism (Christians) and infant circumcision (Jews). Religious indoctrination follows later in life on top of the "branding" they received as infants.

What the Mormons are doing does not really count as dictating someone's religion. The assumption made is that once you are dead, you are presented with the reality of whichever the true religion is (you get to see the god(s), your deeds are judged and the whole shebang). Christians think that those that have rejected Christ are in hell regretting their poor decision.

In other words, religious people think that the dead already subscribe to their religion. The only way in which Mormons are different is that they have a way of saving the formerly unbelieving dead from divine punishment.

T2Bruno likes this.
  13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For me it all boils down to one thing: whether the Mormon faith is genuine or not. If the Mormons are right, then the souls they're presuming to save had it all wrong in life and are obviously being done a cosmic kindness here. If the Mormons are wrong, then the act of baptizing the dead is a well-intentioned but ultimately empty, silly gesture that does no one any harm other than insulting the faith, wishes and intelligence of the dead and their families. As an Orthodox Agnostic, I can't say which side has it right with any certainty - though I obviously lean toward the latter.

So they're either heroes, or they're just a pain in the ass. I suppose only God knows for sure.

Full disclosure: I come from a long line of devout Mormons dating back to the founding of the church. My father's side of the family believes whole-heartedly in the practice, and they see it as nothing short of an act of pure love and mercy.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That's pretty much where I am on the topic, DR, only without the long line of Mormons getting me there.

15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    My christian* training would seem to suggest that this is not authentic - you've got to get it squared away in life or you're f*cked. No rebate deals or limited time offers or trade-ins or anything like that. But what do I know. ;)

*the one true religion of course ... the rest of you are wrong

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'll just add a few things here:

First of all, it isn't a situation like Biorn. The actions of the LDS members performing these baptisms can in no way force anyone anywhere. The insinuation is ignorant, foolish, and ascribes totalitarian characteristics on LDS faithful that are simply not there.

I'll lay out the relevant LDS doctrine in point form:

1: Baptism is an essential ordinance (sacrament, if you come from other Christian traditions) that must be performed here on Earth.

2: Baptisms must be performed by someone having the proper authority from God. Baptisms performed by others may be well intentioned, but they do not do the job.

3: Baptism is a covenant that must be entered into willingly and knowingly. This is why we wait until what is called the "age of accountability" (eight years old) to baptize someone into the church.

4: We do not presume to know what is truly in anyone's heart. The reasons people may have for rejecting the Gospel are theirs and theirs alone. We have no right to judge why someone might not accept the Gospel.

5: In addition, some people never have a chance at all to hear the Gospel. We don't know whether or not they would have accepted it during their lifetimes.

6: Therefore, we perform these baptisms so as to give people who have passed on the opportunity to accept the Gospel. To use the Biorn example (God forgive me for the blasphemy ;) ) a LDS baptism for the dead woould not force him through one door, but rather open a door for Biorn, one which he could either choose to enter, or choose to reject.

7: People who try to make this practice out as odd or unBiblical are either misinformed or untruthful. I refer you to 1 Peter 3:19: "By which also [Christ] went and preached unto the spirits in prison", which states that the gospel was preached to those who died. I also refer you to 1 Corinthians 15:29: "Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? Why are they then baptized for the dead?" That's pretty self-explanatory. When I hear mainstream Christians talk about how "weird" LDS practice is, trying to marginalize or degrade our beliefs and practices, I get right pissed off. Disagree all you want, but don't be ignorant about it.

Doctrinal explanation done. I have participated in baptisms for the dead several times, and let me tell you, it is done extremely respectfully. The Church has made efforts to show respect to those who have deep oppositions to the prectice, but perfection in that matter is not possible, and in any event, no disrespect is intended at all. As others have stated, if we are wrong, there is absolutely no harm done to anyone.

Now why is this a topic right now? We all know why. Romney. People are trying to create a problem where none exists by slinging mud on him and his religion. I understand why they are doing it, and I also understand that when it comes to slinging mud, Romney doesn't have much of a leg to stand on (I personally believe that he'll answer to God for some of his vicious attacks against those he should consider his brethren) but when I see my religion's doctrine twisted, or the intentions of my fellow LDS members misrepresented and slimed, it gets under my skin, and I feel the need to defend what is very near and dear to my heart. I have striven to do so respectfully here.

I don't expect anyone here to necessarily agree with the practice, but what i do want to do is demonstrate that it is not a heinous thing at all, and in particular that it in no way forces anyone to do or be anything that they do not wish to be. The power of choice (referred to in LDS doctrine as "agency") is a vital component in our beliefs, and anything that removes choice from someone is in fact closely associated with the Adversary himself, and not with Christ's teachings.

/end rant

T2Bruno likes this.
  17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is actually one of the "selling points" for the Mormon church. Your ancestors, who never had the chance to be saved are not f*cked. The child who died before being baptised is not f*cked. Your lot in heaven is determined by your entire life -- not just your life on earth (although this is a contested topic in the Mormon church as well).

18. dmc

Media:
    LKD - That sorta goes along my own lines of thought (although without the actual buy-in to the concept), but let me play Devil's Advocate here for a second.

If there was a group of fundamental Southern Baptists who said that theirs was the only true way to heaven and everyone else was damned, and they started baptising dead Mormons (or even live ones in absentia), what would your reaction be? What if they baptised you?

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Am I getting this right then: Mormons believe you die and are dead until you are raised again at the "end of times"? There's no soul that departs the body and goes elsewhere in the meantime?

20. T2Bruno

Media:
    I'd protest live in absentia, but could care less about after I'm dead ... but then I'll probably be baptised after I'm dead by my family (or they'll let me burn).

Edit: No, BTA -- there is an afterlife for spirits after the body dies. In some cases judgment has already occurred and they've received their "final" reward (which may not be final).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.