1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Possible to create a god?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Elven sorceress, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Elven sorceress Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The exportation/importation system of the Baldur's Gate series allows the player to use their characters as they see fit. But it has come to my attention that through the entire series you could create a monster of a character using this system. You could play Baldur's Gate a few times using the same character and each time you go through the game you could use the Tomes and Manuals that upgrade stats on your main character. You could further import the character into Baldur's Gate II, go through Shadows of Amn, and then in Throne of Bhaal, you can use the Machine of Lum the Mad to upgrade your character even further. Depending on how many times you are willing to go through both games using the same character you could end up with god that has max stats in everything!

Has anyone actually done this? The only problem I see with this is that it would make both games really easy, especially if you're playing vanilla Baldur's Gate, since it doesn't have an option for a harder difficulty. I guess it could be fun to do this and then go through Baldur's Gate II including Throne of Bhaal on the highest difficulty (or using mods that further increase difficulty).

I would really like to know what people think about this subject.

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you are going to, essentially, blatantly cheat, why waste your time doing it that way? Use Shadowkeeper, give your character all 25's, make him or her a F/M/T and add the assassin kit to it, pop in 8 million XP to start, and just bulldoze everything.

Uliarathid likes this.
  3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I largely agree with dmc - If the goal is just to maximize all of your stat scores and reach the XP cap, that can be done immediately after character creation using Shadow Keeper. I mean, since you aren't intended to play through more than once anyway to take advantage of things like tomes, you may as well just go whole hog and save yourself a lot of time.

4. Elven sorceress Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I guess you could call it cheating, but the game does allow it without problems, which I find amazing. And I'm afraid I'm completely ignorant about how to use Shadow Keeper :(

I'm just really curious how would it feel, for example, to fight Demogorgon on the highest difficulty using a Fighter/Mage with max stats. I mention a Fighter/Mage because that's the class of the second character I created in Baldur's Gate (he's an elf, btw, so he's multi-classed) Though I guess Fighter/Mage/Thief would be more powerful.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I don't know that I'd call it "blatantly cheating". It's basically the same thing as doing multiple runs of the same areas in Diablo, and I don't see anyone calling that cheating. The point is, she's willing to invest the time to build up the character.

Having said that, I don't think many people take that approach in BG (although I do recall a thread from a few years ago where the OP did just that, and thought the rest of us were crazy running through the game multiple times with a different character each time). Most people playing the game are more interested in trying out different classes than in maxing everything out on one character.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You can download it from this site. Basically it's a program that allows you to do whatever you want to your PC. For example, if you want to play a class that a certain race doesn't allow, you can use SK to change your race. Or your starting attributes (up to 25). Or your starting XPs (up to 8 million). Some other things that you get include the ability to add a kit to your mutli-classed character, although you only get to pick one kit. So you could change a fighter/thief into a berserker/thief, or a fighter/assassin, but you couldn't make a berserker/assassin. The wild mage is considered a mage kit, so with a fighter/mage, you could be a fighter/wild mage. There's also a whole new set of colors and patterns you can pick for your character, but that part doesn't affect gameplay.

As has been stated, if you're just doing it for a lark, the most expedient means of doing this would be to download SK. Having said that, I fail to see why a F/M would need 25 in everything. A 25 in strength would give you more melee damage, so I can see that, but the other ones not as much. As far as I can tell, wisdom has no impact for that class. Mages can scribe all spells from all levels at intelligence 19, so I don't see what those extra 6 points are doing for you. Constitution at 25 would give you great regeneration ability, but it would still be less than the regeneration you'd get from using items like a ring of regeneration, or the Ring of Gaax. Dexterity would apply an AC boost, although I think the difference between an 18 in dexterity and a 25 is only two or three points in AC. A charisma is certainly useful, but I don't think there's any reaction you can get with a 25 in charisma than you couldn't also get with a 18 charisma. YMMV.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You may as well just use Ctrl+8 at character creation and set experience points in game via the console if you want to play a "godly" character. Shadowkeeper unrequired.

8. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I might have posted on this site about this before, but one time I made two characters for a duet one. One was a FMC, the other a FMT. I think I gave them custom fighter kits too, that were like inquisitor kits and kensai kits combined, obviously still able to wear armor.

They also had custom elven chain mail that gave them many immunities. I think they were innately immune to many effects, but with the armor, they were pretty much only vulnerable to ordinary physical and magical damage. A list of the things they were immune to includes:
    Timestop
    Backstab
    Stun
    Domination
    Poison
    Disease
    Confusion/Chaos
    Hold person
    Level drain

Oh and the armor granted them permanent improved alacrity and decreased casting speed. Thats right, the permanent effects of the robe of vecna and the 10th level alacrity spell. Plus immunity to timestop, which meant that if an enemy was foolish enough to cast timestop, I got the use of it for free. With innate improved alacrity and decreased casting speed.

It was ridiculous.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Jsut for kicks, I have maxed out the stats on a Half-Orc Fighter/Assassin, with max XP as well. It got boring after a while. Though I did take some satisfaction in slaughtering the Radiant Heart solo. Die Do-Gooders!

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you want a really overpowered character, you'll play a F/M/T and remove the level cap. Time stop + greater whirlwind = pwned. Solo the character and you'll not even need to cheat in xp.

Stat boosts are largely irrelevant, as was mentioned already. 25 strength is nice for melee damage, everything else doesn't really bring that much. High wisdom for a cleric or druid gives a fair amount of extra spells, but even without going through the game more than once, you can get 24 wis if you start in BG with 18 wis.

I do run through the BG2 with characters that finished ToB already, actually. I do this mainly to let all of my PCs get all the bonuses that the main PC usually collects throughout the game, like the hell trial bonuses and bonuses from Lum the Mad's machine. And that's because I usually play with parties consisting of only self created characters, which I in turn do mostly because otherwise I would never be able to play all the different kits and combinations of classes.

The severe overpowered-ness of parties that have already gone through the game once before is actually quite fun to me. Ownage = great fun. And then playing through it with a new party again for some more challenge. I also tend to create themed parties that are really unbalanced and not that easy to play, and I like to solo too, so I get my challenges from that.

11. Myrkul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've actually done it. It was a few years back and the main character was a wild mage. I replayed the game a ton of times. That's actually probably why I know all the quests and locations by memory. But anyway my wild mage had crazy resistances and I think it was something around 550 ish hp. He was ridiculously powerful, but he could still die in certain boss fights. So yes you can technically make a godlike character, and in my experience it was really fun.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    550 hp? Was that shadow keepered in or something? I mean, even with a 25 in Constitution, mages still only get 1 hp/level once they hit level 10. Even getting a mage with 100 hps seems infeasible.

13. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Yeah, not even a barbarian is going to get anywhere near 550 hp.

A mage never even benefits from a hp bonus past 16 Con either. A mage gets a max of 1d4+2 for the first 9 levels. So a max of 54 hp at level 9. The next 31 levels are set at +1 hp each level. So 54+31 = 85 is the max hp a mage could have at level 40.

A barbarian gets full Con hp bonus. The first 9 levels would be 1d12+7 if he has 25 Con. That's a max of 171 at level 9. The next 31 levels are set at +3 hp each level. 31*3 = 93. 171+93 = 264 max hp at level 40.

14. Samael Venom of God Gems: 2/31

*Points you towards the bonus health points in the Hell tasks*

15. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think summoning a familiar every game will do a lot more for your hp.

Aside from that there's also the Deck of Many Things if you play things right.

16. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31

Veteran

One of the hell trials gives you +15 hp if you take the evil path.

The Deck of Many Things can get you +10 hp if you draw the right card, but this is VERY random and not likely to happen unless you spend a lot of time reloading on a failed draw.

I think a familiar gives you +18 hp, but I haven't bothered with familiars in years so I don't exactly remember.

Anyway you still aren't going to come anywhere close to 550 hp.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Depends on how many times you replay with the same character doesn't it? If you're willing to go through the hell trials for 20 games with the same character that would be 300 hp's.

Plus there's always SK....

18. henkie

Media:
    The amount of hp a familiar gives depends also on whether you summon it during SoA or ToB. I don't have the exact numbers right now, but I thought it was in the neighbourhood of 30+ hp in ToB.

19. Myrkul Gems: 2/31

Well to clear everything up it is very possible. All I did was make sure to get the +15 hp bonus from the hell trials plus the familiar I summoned the familiar every time I restarted SOA. Plus some hp items I probably had I very clearly remember having around 500 or so hp.

20. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31

Veteran

Does the familiar hp bonus stack every new game? I was under the assumption that when the familiar dies or otherwise disappears you lose the hp bonus. Do you actually keep the bonus at the end and then get another bonus when a new game is started and you summon another familiar?

So going by my calculations from before, a mage would have a max of 85 hp at level 40 just from leveling up. Assuming you get +15 hp from the hell trial and +18 from the familiar, that is an additional 33 hp each game. It would take you (500-85)/33 = 12 playthroughs to reach 500 hp.

I get bored easily, but I would never be so bored to play through the game 12 times with the same character.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.