1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

easiest way to reinstall the game

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Feb 5, 2012.

?

Which step can I simply copy the BGII - SoA folder from a backup to complete the reinstall & modding

Poll closed Feb 12, 2012.
  1. Install Shadows of Amm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Install Throne of Bhaal

100.0%
  3. Install the official patches

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Install the bonus merchant content.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Install Baldurdash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Install ease-of-use

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Install other mods and tweaks.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think I might have asked this before, but I can't seem to find the thread.

I've backed up my entire Baldur's Gate folder when i wanted to install it on my laptop. Now, I've still got that backup saved on a DVD-R. I'm reinstalling the game on my desktop. At what point in this procedure can I stop and just copy the contents of the backup into \program files\black isle\BGII - SoA and overwrite what is there:
    1. Install Shadows of Amm
    2. Install Throne of Bhaal
    3. Install the official patches
    4. Install the bonus merchant content.
    5. Install Baldurdash
    6. Install ease-of-use
    7. Install other mods and tweaks.

Can I stop after step 1, or do I stop after step after step 3 or 4?
    By stop, I mean just copy the BG2 - SoA folder from the backup DVD (NOT my install CDs) onto the hard drive.
    I'm almost positive I can stop after step 5.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 25 seconds later... ----------

OOPS, I forgot it's Fixpack and Tweaks pack now, not Baldurdash and ease-of-use. Shows how long I've had the game.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 15 seconds later... ----------

Oh, and does the same apply for BG1 and Icewind Dale, substituting Tales of the Sword Coast or Heart of Winter for Throne of Bhaal?

2. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

A fairly common recommendation is to install including step 4. After that mods tend to get updated once in a while.

That said nothing hinders you in say making your own standard installation, copy that and ie add different NPC or AIs to that baseinstallation.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure how to make my own standard installation other than backing up the bgII - soA folder, which I did. I just couldn't remember which step i could get away with using the backup and still have the game work and be properly patched. If I simply copy the BG2 folder without doing at least step one, it won't work because of the registry, but I wasn't sure if I needed to install Throne of Bhaal from the CD or if simply replacing the BG2 folder with one that had ToB installed would do it. Ditto for the patches.

Doing it after step 4 seems to have worked however.

---------- Added 22 hours, 30 minutes and 23 seconds later... ----------

Save I forgot about needing to edit the registry permission for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\BG2Main.Exe" in order to play under my limited account rather than the admin account. I'm surprised that isn't pinned or mentioned in the pinned thread. I had to search Google.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.