1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Liches in SCSII...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dr_Asik, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

... are you supposed to be able to kill them? Without resorting to cheese I mean?

There's one in the Ghoul Lord's Room. It casts level 9 spells at will. We cannot cast level 6 spells yet.

Immediately when it sees us, it has a Chain Contingency that triggers Protection From Magical Weapons, Spell Turning and Stoneskin. The first Breach isn't enough for us to hit him, maybe repeated Breaches would?

It didn't let us live long enough for me to test that theory. It casts Time Stop, and then summons a Balor (Gate). The Balor has insane hit points and seems immune to weapons below +3, and seems to only take damage from the few points of magical damage our weapons do (Korgan's axe that does +2 fire damage). We eventually managed to defeat the Balor by letting him follow us outside the area and soloing him for about 5 minutes while gulping potions. Then the Lich was still invulnerable to everything and casted Finger of Death, Horrid Wilting, a sequencer with 3 skull traps for 3x12d6 damage...

Oh and if we rested it seems the Lich also recovered his spells, so it would cast Time Stop and summon another Balor. So resting mid-fight was not helpful.

The only "strategy" I figured out was to exit the area each time he started casting something and come back right away, wasting his spells. I did that for a good 5 minutes (real time), he has apparently 100 spells available. In the end his protections wore off, we meleed him, he casted two last finger of deaths that took two of our party members, and he died. I hate resorting to such lowly tactics, but I simply could not find any other way.

Anyway. I did install the component that makes every battle as high-level as possible, so maybe that was foolish and I'm just paying the price. But is there any way a party doing the Unseeing Eye quest in chapter 2 (we're around lvl11) can deal with such a creature?

Thanks.

2. Pyroreaver Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes you are majorly not high leveled enough to deal with him when SCS2 installed. When you cannot even cast lvl 6 spells yet, letting time wear out the liches is the only way without using cheese. im suprised that the lich didn't "pull you back" like they do with the weimer tactics mod installed.

some thing to tell you. liches are immune to all spells level 5 and below SO BREACH WILL NOT WORK NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOUCAST IT.

Is that all he casted? i doubt it. should be alot more. if thats all, then a dispel magic from an inquisitor should do the trick. or you can cast prot from magic energy (though lvl 6 spell) and a death ward spell on your berserker using enrage should also do the trick. then there are several other cheese ways which you said you dont want to use

usually they should be casting Prot from magic weapons, spell immunity:divination, spell immunity;abjuration, improved invisibility (or mislead), prot from fire, cold, electricity, and energy. then they blast you. if they didnt, you got off easy. this combination of spells makes them INVULNERABLE until the spells duration runs out, but they recast again. I know of only 3 ways to defeat this combination

1) let the duration run out
    2) use the 9th level chain contingency spell and chain 3 ruby ray of reversal (half cheese) and set it on when see enemy. (half cheese becuase chain contigincy sees though all the invisibility spells)
    3) cast spell protection from magic from the only 3 scrolls that Ribald sells on the lich, which neutralizes all his magic. (cheese)

I heard summoning nishruus might work, but then you have to plow thru the balors and fiends the lich will summon.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From the mod's readme:

4. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Fixed by SCSII: :)

More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning)

Although it isn't documented, the 5th level spell Breach will remove a creature's combat protections (such as Stoneskin) even if that creature is protected by Spell Deflection, Spell Turning or Spell Trap; it will not, however, affect creatures like liches or rakshasas, because they are immune to spells of level 5 or below. This component removes both features: Breach now bounces off Spell Turning (etc.), but it affects even those creatures immune to "normal" 5th level spells.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/scsii/spell.php

So it seems like the initial Breach bounced off Spell Turning. We could have eventually Breached him, but I think he has more Prot. From Magical Weapons than we even had Breach spells at that point, so it was hopeless.

With that said, I think I still like it. It makes sense that we'd encounter at least some creatures we cannot kill, early in the game. It adds realism and excitement (we'll come back later to deal with ya, abomination! now ruuuUUUNN!)

So I got very unlucky then. My protagonist barely had above 1 million xp, while other party members lag behind at around 800K. So we were as weak as SCSII allows for this type of monster.

Sweet. Although, as I mentioned, I do have the fix for the Breach spell installed. Will that work or bounce off other protections?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.