1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can my current vanilla game party make it through HoF?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So, then I should keep the weapon with Exectioner's Eyes in my off-hand and use a Keen weapon in my main hand?

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Yes, if the weapons have about the same base damage to begin with.

Otherwise the one with more oomph gets the main hand.

3. valky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Bastard's Son is a great offhand weapon and exec. eyes negates the penalty for having a large offhand weapon as well due to the +4 hit (both hands) at least in the beginning.

Yet there are better weapons later on (bast. sword 'Cold fire' O_O!) and I prefer a more suitable weapon in the offhand as well (goblin slayer dagger or brilliant short sword).
    To be honest, there are more penalties for using 2 large weapons than otherwise, cause your strength bonus (+damage) is halved and round down and you get nonetheless always only 1 attack per round with that specific weapon. Critical hits are nice to have, but a weapon which deals 'always' an additional 5d6 or 6d6 elemental damage is way more powerful...

e.g. my dualwielding cleric (18/1 fighter @end of 'normal' campaign) contributed 39% experience to the party (4 ppl)

(another penalty might be the +2 enchantment, there are several enemies you can only hit with +3 or higher or bypass their DR completely)

Besides, I don't get the idea of this character, 1 pal/1 monk/x cler is fine to begin with, if you plan to use him as 2nd healer - else he will get access to better spells very late in HoF (draw upon holy mighty & holy power are both very nasty selfbuffs ^^).
    But on the other hand the Monk level are usually only good for a tank/decoy, not really for a damage dealer. Cause you need to push his wisdom sky-high to get the armor benefit but on the other side it lacks 'some' damage....

just my 0.02$

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] If I have mutliple PCs withat least 2 levels in Paladin, which provides Aura of courage(+4 bonus vs fear for party members). Do the bonuses stack? I have the Guardian in mind...

5. lendial Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have read somewhere the auras effect on party members do not work at all though the actual aura holder will indeed be immune to panic. however, a single casting of the level 1 remove fear spell will totally negate the guardians passive panic effect as well as the worg collar you found in the prologue.

it was always a tough choice to take that second paladin level because fear immunity is really nice but there are many ways to get this effect without devoting a precious character level to it.

fear immunity sources includes : chaotic commands, exaltation(?), mind blank, worg/houndstooth collar, remove fear, resist fear (level 2 arcane spell that was for reason disabled in the vanilla game).

6. Blades of Vanatar

I have the Worg Collar on my Cleric. He was good. ButI casted the Remove Fear spell and still had my Half-Orc Barb/Fighter running for the hills. That is prety crappy to know that the Aura doesn't help the party. My next questions was going to be if it affected Summons as well... oh well.

7. lendial Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

aura of courage and worg collar will make it so you will not actually roll a will save, it will just say you were unaffected.

other forms of fear immunty still forces you to make a roll and a roll of 1 will mean you still get feared/panic-ed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.