1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hot Sauce, Cold Showers: Child Abuse?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Alaska woman convicted of child abuse for video showing her disciplining one of her boys with hot sauce and cold showers.

Does that really rise to the child abuse level? The Office of Children's Services found no reason to do anything after investigating.

Admittedly I haven't watched the video, but a child abuse conviction seems harsh based on the text.

2. Daisuke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok, that is a strange one...

While I agree that there are certainly worse things that can be done to a child, what was done here has to have crossed some line that aught not be crossed. Whilst humiliation is not illegal, I'm quite certain that this sort of behavior shouldn't be condoned.

And I have to agree with the prosecutor's closing argument, there really is no excuse or reason for this sort of behavior. Especially towards someone whose care is your responsibility. If the woman is this starved for attention, I question her suitability as a parent.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BTA: I believe that was the defense argument as well. The prosecution on the other hand argued the woman did these things specifically to get on TV -- the intent was to make the child suffer so she could get on the Dr Phil show. I believe it was that intent that got the jury to convict.

The child is obviously terrified in the cold shower -- shoved in ~50°F water really causes the body to react drastically. At least she didn't require the child to lay in a cold bath (vividly describe in "A Child Called It"). I can't tell how the child reacts to "hot saucing" which is a current trend in punishment -- but I can tell you the method most likely violates the Geneva Convention on chemical warfare.

I personally believe if a punishment violates the Geneva convention on the treatment of soldiers at war it should also qualify as abuse. I question of Office of Children's Services findings.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure how use of a product for sale as fit for human consumption could qualify for violation of chemical warfare conventions. Sure, if you make some kind of concentrated pepper concoction like they use in pepper spray of bear repellent, but hot sauce?

But yeah, I can see the problem if she did it for publicity. Not that I think the hot sauce treatment or cold showers are a great way to raise kids either. :)

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hot sauce I'm guessing containing capsicum as the main source of heat?

Capsicum triggers the sensation of pain (even through the delicioussnes :D) you can get sauces that come with warnings and the methods of cooking with them involve using a toothpick to measure it properly into a large pan.

She tips the bottle into the kids mouth. Not a spoonful whilst screaming at him and doesn't let him swallow it. Capsicum, of course, seeps out over time.

The cold shower I think T2Bruno covered concisely.

The video is horrible. The poor child is screaming in pain in the shower and she just keeps shouting at him :( It's disgusting.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If this stupid woman did this crap to get on a TV show she most definitely deserves the conviction. I'm not sure if this "hot saucing" meets the legal definition for abuse, but I do know I would never use it myself. It seems bizarre and painful and I can see it triggering any number of damaging and possibly lethal reactions from sensitive kids.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Seems like child abuse to me.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    While there's child abuse and then there's *child abuse*. While this is abuse it's sort of your regular child abuse. I'm glad she got convicted so she won't do it again, but I'm unsure if she deserves any type of jail time that the article says. I mean, the hot sauce isn't going to kill you, and in half and hour it probably feels fine, and recovery from the cold shower happens pretty much as soon as you get out of the shower.

The stupid part was that she filmed it in a publicity stunt. For that alone, she deserves some level of punishment, I'm just not sure jail time is appropriate.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Crazy stuff dreamt up by a deranged mind trying to circumvent the letter of the law on child abuse.

Cold showers, for instance, is something prisoners have in some places been exposed to routinely, since being cold, wet and miserable is seriously demoralising. It has generally been condemned as abusive and as no-touch torture.

And as for the 'saucing' - a friend of mine likes African cuisine, and after cutting some crazy exotic African peppers he had the stuff on his hands and touched his neck. He got a itching rash as a result that remained painful for a week. I can't eat the stuff he makes. I presume that using some really hot sauce can cause a painful skin reaction similar or worse to the one after spanking. Only difference is in the effect mechanics - chemical, as opposed to physical impact.

So, I agree with Snook, it's abuse IMO.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Heh. I think the world is becoming too soft. When hot sauce in the mouth and cold showers rise to the level of criminality (and even torture (!) ), what isn't criminal? :)

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    BTA,
    the dose makes the poison. The keys are intent, and duration and intensity of the application. It is easily conceivable that something like that can rise to the level of criminality (and even torture).

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    True enough. I keep forgetting to watch the video when I'm at home, so I still haven't seen what transpired :)

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I had a friend who cut up really hot peppers and as soon as he finished decided to go to the bathroom. He washed his adds after finishing up, but not before. He also got some irritation in a lot more of a sensitive part than your neck.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isn't the intention of creating pain and fear enough to make it abuse?

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well I think the question is more: Is it criminal abuse?

You could say I abused you if I flicked your ear with my finger, or gave you a wet willy, but it certainly wouldn't be criminal.

16. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not necessarily. Fear is an important tool for a parent with young children. I want my kids to fear what might happen to them if they run into the street. I want them to fear what might happen to them if a car crashes into them.

It never occurs to a kid that running into the street is a bad idea... unless you tell them. And since kids thrive on exercising their independence (i.e. they routinely want to do what they are told not to do), adding in a healthy dose of fear to ensure they don't end up as road-kill is a great way to keep a child alive.

Abuse? I think not.

As with everything there is a line you can cross, absolutely. But your comment makes no such distinctions.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No I don't, isn't your goal to make your child safe? How can you make someone safe by hurting them? Isn't that a paradox? I am hitting you so you won't get hit? I am giving you a freezing shower to keep you warm?

18. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I never said anything about hurting a child. I responded to your comment about the intent to create fear.

I might address the pain part later... but I'm late for a meeting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.