1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Crom Faeyr: Worth constructing (spoilers within)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Klorox, Dec 11, 2003.

1. nl255 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You do know you can make the crom faeyr without losing the components. All you have to do is give all the components to one character and attack that character until near death. After that, you cast a magic missile (or other single target spell) at the character with all the components, pausing before the spell hits. Then click on cromwell to talk to him (make sure the character you use to talk with him is right next to him), and unpause. You will speak with him, and will ask him to make the crom faeyr as usual. However, once the conversation is finished, the character holding all the components will die. Once the cut-scene is finished, you will have the crom faeyr. Resurrect the character that you killed and have him get his equipment, and you will find all the components on his body. That way it only costs you the 10,000 gold to make it, which is easy to replace. If you really want to be evil, you can make multiple crom faeyr warhammers for other party members, but one should be enough.

2. NeoXro Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Right... or you can just SK or CLUA in those items... what's the difference?

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Not much. I'd consider both cheating.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not worth constructing at all I think, the Crom Faeyr Scroll is far too great a loss. :wave:

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I say make it...even in a party, one chap with EXCEPTIONAL strength on the frontline, with mages and clerics chucking spells around, and thieves getting upto backstabbing madness is good fun! :) Also, the Girdle of Stone Giant Strength and (TOB Strength Belt) are available to somewhat compensate. Clerics can get STR in the 20 + range easily...hence, I would say MAKE the Crom Faeyr...it makes the Warhammer proficiency worth it...sucks otherwise!

6. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I always make it although it's rare I bother having my frontline fighters use it as their proficiency points generally go elsewhere. More often than not I give it to Aerie to wield because it adds about 7 points to her THACO and damage rolls and is handy for those occasions when she has to fight hand-to-hand.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm at a point where I really need to decide to go for the Crom Faeyr right now. Currently, nobody in my party is even proficient in Warhammer, and I'm in the Underdark. I have Keldorn (maxing out 2 handed style, unknown where to go after that), Mazzy (her slots are going into Halberds and 2 handed stlye), Jaheira (can't use Hammers), Imoen (can't use Hammers), Aerie (if she's on the frontline, I'm in trouble), and my protagonist, a fighter/mage (currently specialized in Katana and Flails, with 3 points in Two weapon style). I was originally planning on going for Longswords or Axes with him, but the Crom Faeyr is making me think of Hammers. The Crom Faeyr/Celestial Fury combo is just nasty. I don't know, it's also kind of cheesy, and I know there's an Axe in that raises my STR to 22 (almost as good as Crom).

I think with my Fighter/Mage and Keldorn's STR of 17, and Jaheira's and Mazzy's 15, I'd be better off distributing the strength items other places. What's your opinion?

8. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

I always advocate not constructing Crom with a full party. Distribute the strength items.

9. Day to Night Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

party= no
    solo= yes

Dwarf beserker deul weilding 'moan.........'

10. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It depends on two things. If you have many tanks in your party or not, and if you take Anomen along. If you have many tanks and go "sweeping" the game(that is completing almost every quest and side quest in the game), so you manage to get a lot of strenght potions and the Girdle of Hill Giant Strenght to beef up all your tanks during every hard fight in the game-which is indeed possible-, make anomen spend all his proficiencies in warhammer. Since he is a dual class fighter-cleric he can allot 5 slots in warhammer and turns into a killing machine when he wields it. Personally I like bladed weapons, a matter of style over firepower.

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@Sarevok-
    Were you being serious and there really is a use for the scroll other then constructing the hammer?

12. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] There are several other items which are same good or better than Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and Girdle of Frost Giant Strength (especially if you decide to get and install Throne of Bhaal later, there will be many good items). Crom Faeyr is a very powerful item. Despite of the SoA forum, I refer again to ToB: it is one of the items which can damage the main villain [snip]. Anyway, Crom Faeyr is excellent in SoA.

CamDawg, I usually play with full party and there are many items which can replace the place of the "hammer-ingredients" after the hammer is assembled.

By the way, I do not think that Sarevok- was serious about that scroll :p

[Gigantic ToB spoiler removed. What were you thinking?!] -Tal

[ February 06, 2004, 23:15: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

13. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Bah, you're probably playing a party with less than five tanks. You're likely wasting a spot on a mage (ugh) in there somewhere. :p ;)

Magic is impressive, but now CamDawg leads! Swords (and strength items) for everyone! :thumb:

14. Baronius

I have a feeling that someone is a Minsc-fan here... :p

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The next time I go through the game it is going to be with a Dwarven Berserker specializing in Hammers and Axes (fits with powergaming AND roleplaying!) With the proper equipment, the character will be a real killer.

Can you make a Dwarf Kensai? That would work too . . .

Back to the question, well, 25 strength is kind of wasted on a character who is not a fighter with the already ridiculously high THAC0 to use it to best effect. It's kind of cool with Anomen or Korgan though (too bad I rarely play with Korgan, I like a high Rep so I can get things cheap) I usually have a fair number of spellcaster types around, so I don't really need a lot of strength enhancing items -- one like Crom for a front line tank works well enough for me.

Since my Favorite character to play is a F/C/M, when he runs out of combat spells, I like to have him use Crom to boost his odds in melee combat.

16. Baronius

A dwarven Berserker with Crom Faeyr! That will be cool :cool:
    It's a pity that you cannot equip a throwing weapon as a second weapon... Dwarven Thrower (can be bought in Trademeet) would look cool near the Crom Faeyr!

About my ToB-villain-killing:
    Sorry Tal, it was really "a bit" long, so it should have not been posted here in that size.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.