1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Woman faces possible jail time for planting veggie garden in violation of city code

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    ... and here it goes:
    In Oak Park you're free to have your garden look like everybody elses, or else. And that's a good thing. She may be facing 93 days in jail. Her planting a veggie garden just shows that criminal scum will always find a way to flout the law. 93 days and misdemeanour charges are a good start, though it is far too lenient imo considering the grave possible consequences for her actions. If everybody would do as she does and plant veggies, there would be serious disturbances in the American front lawnscape, and the resulting tremors may just rip suburban America apart. Heaven forbid, people may ... get ideas and plant trees or other non-regulation items. This uppityness must not stand.

Clearly, vegetables with their lewd, disturbing shapes and forms are hardly "suitable live plant material". As the city representative is quite reasonably remarks: "Suitable" in Websters dictionary means common, i.e. if no one else has it, you mustn't.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I agree. This woman sounds like a real troublemaker. She should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Hanging's too good for some people.

4. Ragusa

Media:
    Fortunately, this dangerous deviant will have ample time to think about the consequences of her actions while doing the prison garden.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yet another reason why the "Tea Party" is becoming more and more popular. Government is becoming too intrusive into all aspects of our lives.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Yes? All the Tea Party people would do is to replace the city ordinance with a contract by a homeowner association (probably no less intrusive, usually to the contrary, but at least it's some private entity meddling into other people's business (like what they plant on their front lawn) and thus by definition wonderful, and not the evil state, in which case it would be, also by definition, Capital-T Tyranny™).

But more importantly, what I see here is an anachronism in which the city created a misdemeanour over a matter that ought to be settled well below the criminal justice threshold. Jail as the ultima ratio? For this? Preposterous. It's IMO an example of heavy handed over-policing and over-sanctioning of mundane government functions in the US. There is no clear distinction in the US between public order regulation law and criminal law.

To a larger extent such conformity ordinances have disappeared in my country (they did exist, with meticulous detail, when my parents built their house), and where they endure they usually carry fines, at worst. Also, in today's understanding of the law veggies in a well kept garden would probably be considered 'suitable' vegetation. Thirty years ago, not so much.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I seriously doubt that a judge would deem jail time appropriate for this. More than likely, even if she's convicted, it's a fine.

Then again, I don't think she'll lose when she goes to court. "Suitable ground vegetation" seems broad enough that it would cover vegetables. I also took the liberty of looking up "suitable" in Meriam-Webster's dictionary, to see if it actually was defined as common. It isn't:

The word "common" doesn't appear in any of the three definitions.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The word "common" doesn't appear, but the second definition fits :)

9. Ragusa

Media:
    Yes, but it is still broad. Many things are suitable in a garden. Nothing in 'suitable' indicates any preference for a plainly decorative garden or a fruit and vegetable garden. If I was the woman's lawyer I would make exactly that argument.

The city obviously makes the argument that there is a sort of 'dress code' for gardens in front of the house, and that this dress code calls for front lawns, and that a veggie garden is somehow improper - it is an exception after all - and not carried by, let's call it founder's intent. What else can they do? They have to make a bad case and that argument does as good or bad as they can do without backing down.

Naturally, if the town was prudent they would back down, and clarify the wording of the ordinance, if they can get a majority for that. Something tells me they won't do so. This has become a test of wills, and the city very much wills that their ordinance be obeyed the way they prefer to read it, naturally, at tax payer's expense.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Vile veggies ... steps must be taken to eradicate such threats from the face of the earth.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Neighbors can really be a pain, and the HOA contracts as Ragusa mentions result in the same type of harassment; no jail time is possible, but depending on the contract they can foreclose on your property if you owe them money even if the property is paid off.

I occasionally get harassed by my HOA and in recent years it's gotten more and more trivial to the point I have to guess what the problem is.

I once got a complaint letter because one tendril of a vine I have in my backyard had crossed the boundary of my yard with the common area by about two feet (which is probably about a couple of week's worth of growth at most).

I just recently got another one saying my front yard was "full of weeds" which is complete hyperbole because I am meticulous when it comes to weeds; there are never more than a handful of immature weeds in my front yard. Yet I removed the few that were there as normal. The next month I get a notice of non-compliance that my front yard is "overgrown with weeds" and I didn't take care of the problem and I must now show up to a hearing and possibly be fined. So I contact the management company and tell them they're going to have to be more specific about the issue because I have no idea what they are talking about. The lady responds that she sends out so many letters that she can't even remember what the specific issue was, but that next time (on a certain date) she'll make note of any problems and provide me a detailed accounting. Needless to say, I made sure there was not a single weed that they could point to on that date. The response I get? It looks better, but they strongly suggest I put in some ground cover like wood chips or white rocks! They don't like the bare soil. So now I'm fairly certain that was the issue the whole time and they were using the pretext of a few weeds to try to get me to do something like that since they couldn't force me to do it via the R&Rs. All they had to do was ask! Sheesh they can be annoying.

So, yeah this landscape conformity nonsense is not surprising and really pisses me off. :)

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If she sent some of those fresh veggies to her neighbors, they would probably shut the f**k up. Free maters and taters are always a hit.

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Some cucumbers or some fresh mungbean sprouts would be an appropriate gift :evil:

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

HOAs are bad enough -- tin plated douches with nothing better to do than obsess over minutae in the yards of other people. But the municipal government being all up in arms over a vegetable garden? That's nucking futz. It makes me thing that there must be something else going on -- someone has it in for this woman for a reason other than the ostensible one listed.

And all the while, killers, rapists, muggers, thieves, and other serious criminals run free while the duly elected government focuses on the dangers of . . . vegetables. Nauseating.

15. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I never understood some things in the USA. For example, how is it possible that in some US states, oral sex is prohibited (and is a criminal offense, if I remember correctly?). I mean, doesn't this violate the freedom rights in the US Constitution? Sorry this is totally off-topic, I just didn't want to open a new thread for it if a one-sentence answer exists. (My association to this came from this vegetable topic.)

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oral sex is only prohibited if performed on vegetables (although for some reason legumes don't count).

17. Daisuke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It's not. Contrary to popular misconception, Clinton wasn't in trouble with Congress over his indiscretions. Their problem was the fact that he perjured himself by lying about it during the hearing.

But just like the falsehood of Gore claiming to have invented the Internet, the Neo-Cons just kept repeating their version of events and hoped no one would notice how moronic their claims were.

18. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Local municipal governments specialize in this sort of code 'enforcement,' most likely because it's very easy to enforce. I have to ask though, what if this woman wanted to erect a statue of Adolf Hitler in her front yard? Standards are inevitably going to come into play to avoid just that sort of thing, and the fact of the matter is that front yard gardens fall outside those standards in most communities. Oak Park is regular suburbia, so while rural areas might not give a damn because your closest neighbor is 500 feet away, 'the neighborhood' typically does.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    There are still some states that have these laws on the books (some also have them for homosexual sex too). However, they are no longer enforced for the simple reason that they would lose if they ever went to court for the exact reason you state. The 14th amendment of the Constitution has been interpreted repeatedly by the Supreme Court to grant an implicit right to privacy, so no one is ever charged for this anymore.

20. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Just in case some didn't click on the link in the link to see the garden, here it is.
    It doesn't look bad at all and in fact is much nicer than I was imagining.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.