1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with portraits please.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Robin Lou, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Robin Lou Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I downloaded the icewind dale portraits frpm this site and put them in my portrait map, however they do not work when I try to use them. What's wrong? Also do anyone now where I can find the icewind dale II portraits? I know I can extract them but I dont know how to resize them and still make them work somehow.

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Strange, if you get the portraits from BG2 section they should work without problems. You did check the 'Custom Portraits' when choosing one in the generation screen, yes? They should be there.

3. Robin Lou Gems: 1/31

yes the files are there, but the figure with a ? shows up when I select them. I have tried to rename the files, but to no success.

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The '?' will appear if the portrait is not up to standart format BG2 uses. I do not know the details but it is a common problem.

You have to convert the corrupted portraits into right format. If you want to do it manually, simply open a working portrait, delete it, copy&paste the troubled portrait you want into now empty portrait, and save it as different. (do not overwrite or you will lose the existing portrait) I know it is a lot of trouble, but it works.

Or maybe there is a simple way of converting BMP to JPG or something like that, but I have absolutely no idea. :(

Other than that, portrait manager above may be useful as it has the potential to do a lot of work instantly, though I never used it, so I am not sure.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Portraits need to be in .bmp format, 110 x 170 pixels for large portraits and 38 x 60 pixels for small. To convert JPEG to Bitmap, the easiest way is to load the picture in Paint (or any image editor) and go to "Save As..." and select 24-bit Bitmap as the type (this will retain the greatest amount of colour information). BG claimed that small portraits would have to be 256-colour Bitmaps, but I've never noticed any difference between the 2 & 24-bit versions other than the increased colour quality of the 24-bit, so I use that. Portraits should also be named correctly: xxxxxxxL.bmp for large portraits, and xxxxxxxS.bmp for small ones. Certainly in BG (and probably in BG2, too) it didn't like names longer than 8 characters. Good ol' Windows. :shake:

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Another thing that can happen is if you add the portraits to the folder while the game is running, it won't recognize them right away. Quit to the desktop and then try again.

8. Robin Lou Gems: 1/31

Thanks for all the help. The problem was what Felinoid described, I had to restart the game. Now they work fine =) Could any of you experts answer my other question I posted on this forum? It's about soundsets.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.