1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The best 'olden-time' films

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Barmy Army, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I guessed this place was the best place to ask. I like war-films, like any lad with red blood. I'm talking about films like Braveheart (even though it's a total work of fiction), Gladiator, The Patriot (same as Braveheart), Master and Commander, 13th Warrior, & more recently Centurion.

I wonder if you guys could name any others I should watch? Can be from the Napoleonic era (sadly under-representated in the film world, it seems), or medieval, or whatever, so long as machine guns aren't involved.

I'm poorly so need some 'film ammo' to work my way through :(. Cheers guys.

2. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

If you liked 13th Warrior you'll probably like Excalibur. Savage and bloody, all done with good ol' swords.

Don't know if you've seen The Last Samurai, but it is quite bloody. (I thought it'd be a little cheesy but it turned out enjoyable.)

Otherwise it's hard to think of other good movies in that genre that you haven't already named!

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah, I've seen The Last Samurai, loved that.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  5. Barmy Army

Media:
    SET in a historic period, not filmed then. I.e. films that contain swords or muskets. You great pleb, Raggers!

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Waterloo an italian/Soviet movie from the 70's. It's a fine film about the battle of waterloo with amazing battles. It's a one of a kind movie really with plenty of flaws but the battles as I said are the best I've seen about the Napoleonic era. So there's a film you might want to check out. It seems though that you value action and drama over even attempting to describe the events in a realistic fashion so I'm not fully sure if it's the kind of film you'd like.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  8. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Lord of the Rings: Trilogy - Dir. Peter Jackson with Viggo Mortensen (Tolkien)
    Kingdom of Heaven - Dir. Ridley Scott with Orlando Bloom, Eva Green, Liam Neeson (Crusaders vs Moors)
    Troy - Dir. Wolfgang Petersen with Brad Pitt, Eric Bana (Homer's Iliad)
    300 - Dir. Zack Snyder with Gerald Butler (Battle of Thermopylae)
    King Arthur - Antoine Fuqua (sp?) with Clive Owen (Romans vs Saxon - a different take of the Arthurian legend we are familiar with)
    Robin Hood - Dir. Ridley Scott with Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett (you know the character but the story is not the one we are familiar with)
    Hero - Dir. Zhang Yimou with Jet Li, Tony Leung (based on the story of the attempted assassination of the Emperor of Qin Dynasty in Fuedal China, this Emperor is the guy who started the Great Wall of China - Chinese movie) Warning... extensive 'wire-fu' action and is also one of the highest-grossing movie in China.
    Red Cliff I/II - Tony Leung (excerpt from the Chinese Novel 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms' - Chinese movie, note: this is a 2-part movie)
    Curse of the Golden Flower - Dir. Zhang Yimou with Chow Yun-Fat, Gong Li (Chinese movie) Oscar nominee for Foreign Language film.
    Warriors of Heaven and Earth - Dir. He Ping with Jiang Wen (in the tradition of The Seven Samurai - Chinese movie) Oscar nominee for Foreign Language film.
    Musa - Dir. Kim Sung-Su with Jung Woo-sung, Zhang Ziyi (somewhat like The Seven Samurai - South Korean movie)
    Sword In The Moon - Dir. Kim Ui-seok with Choi Min-soo, Cho Jae-hyun (South Korean periodic movie)

You can check out youtube for trailers of the Chinese and South Korean films.

Oh how about...
    The 3 Muskeeters - Keifer Sutherland and Charlie Sheen (Alexander Dumas)
    The Man In The Iron Mask - Jeremy Irons and Leonardo Di Caprio (Alexander Dumas)

Some really oldies...
    Seven Samurais - Dir. Akira Kurosawa with Toshiro Mifune
    Spartacus - Kirk Douglas (gladiators vs Romans)
    Zulu Dawn - Peter O'Toole (British vs Africans)
    The Man Who Would Be King - Sean Connery, Michael Caine (British vs Malays)

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thanks for the suggestions lads.

Rags, I do like Sharpe, yeah :)

Morgs, I do like both really. I enjoy realistic films etc, but it has to be entertaining too, or my attention span wears out.

nior, first of all, sorry I can't think of a good nickname for that, 2nd, thanks for the suggestions :-)

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    What about Japanese movies?

You've got some great titles ranging from masterpieces -Akira Kurosawa's Ran, Kagemusha, Kumonosu-jô- to campy manga styled pieces like Azumi for instance.

11. TheTallMan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

12. Blothulfur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Try Beowulf & Grendel filmed in Iceland it overshadows the cartoon version they made a bit back in my own humble, oh and the mission with DeNiro and Jeremy Irons one of the best films i've ever seen.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The three musketeers\four musketeers from the 70s is fantastic. Best adaption of the story, by far.

Once upon a time in China 1-4 is great as well. Jet Li is in it.

Excalibur is another good one I guess, and Willow.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Willow is the mutz nutz! Love that ****. Black Death, Waterloo and The Mission 'ordered' :p.

Keep 'em coming :)

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mmmh... war movies only, it seems. I wanted to suggest Amistad, but that's not really a war thing. Some action now and then, though. That movie really caught me.

Well, er... War movies, heh? Perhaps you like Attila? I didn't fancy it all that much, so I wouldn't spend any money on that. I'm not you, though, so here's a trailer:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In no particular order.... Sparticus, Ben-Hur, Quo Vadis, Gladiator, Ulysses (the Kirk Douglas one), Jason and the Argonauts, Henry V, Gunga Din, The Wind and the Lion, The Man Who Would Be King, Zulu, El Cid, The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), Ran, Gettysburg, Glory, Horatio Hornblower ... if you want a list of great war movies from WWI on (WWI, WWII, etc.) the list would be even longer.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  17. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I doubt the story is going to be great, perhaps decent but the action and cinematography is something to look forward to.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  18. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery. It kicked butt. I think his lame little sidekick was Christian Slater -- coulda done without that little punk, but otherwise it was a good movie.

19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I agree 120 percent with LKD. In the Name of the Rose, was excelent.

20. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.