1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best NPC Team

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord N, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Klimax Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Keldorn (or you Play Inquisitor)
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Viconia (or Anomen if you're not a fighter)
    Nalia/Imoen
    Edwin (if you're not a spellcaster)

2. Bran Dawri Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've got a very mage-heavy party, and I'm finding it a lot easier than my previous fighter characters.

Party:
    Me (Wild Mage)
    Minsc
    Keldorn
    Anomen (used to have Viconia, but she got into a fight with Keldorn, so I dropped her)
    Aerie
    Imoen

So far, it's working great. I even beat Kanggax without much trouble (though his Imprisonment of Minsc and Keldorn was annoying).

[Wild Mage is a ToB class which has no place in the SoA-only forum.] -Tal

[ October 21, 2004, 00:40: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Rochus Gems: 1/31

You should have:
    2/2 frontline fighters (at least 2 characters)
    1 mage or sorcerer
    1/2 cleric or druid
    1/2 thief
    (Multiclass counts as half, dualclass as full in the second class)
    It's easier with 1 1/2 mages, 3 will be VERY powerfull at the end.

Finished the game with 3 parties and once nearly solo:
    Me (Undead Hunter)
    Minsc
    Valygar
    Viconia
    Jan
    Imoen

Me (Kensai/Mage)
    Minsc
    Keldorn
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Jan

Me (Swashbuckler/Mage)
    Imoen

Best evil Party:
    Me (Halforc Swashbuckler)
    Viconia
    Korgan
    Edwin
    Imoen (not evil, but I'm not THAT evil to leave her in spellhold :)

It's nice to have a thief who can get [snip] - [snip] are just too good ;) And it's fun to have Jan in the party... Korgan likes his twin-hammer story, too ;)

[ToB content removed.] -Tal

[ October 21, 2004, 22:10: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

4. Shikabane Gems: 1/31

This is always a very difficult task for me and the thing that i hate and like the same in the Bg series. Making only one PC is a strong limitation, but the available NPCs give a lot of personality and atmosphere...

In my current game i'm a Fighter/Mage. I never played one but i always thought battlemages are a fun classcombo. So I give him a try this time ( I really had a hard time deciding between an assassin and the fightermage ;) )

I always take Jaheira with me because I really like her and I think she has potential...

Minsc.. he's fun and a good tank and strong melee

Then Yoshi/Imoen .. because it would be pointless without them...and somehow i do like em both

Now it gets difficult... Keldorn is a very good tank, with carsomyr he is very powerful and he is a very cool npc. I like his portrait. So the only reason to not take him is if your mainchar is a Paladin or your going the evil way. Unfortunatly he doesn't like Viconia...

Aerie ... currently in my party, but her whining goes on my nerves... Why would such a whiny person start adventuring tssss ;) I would like to take Viconia instead of her but then Keldorn thinks he has to kill her *grr*

Who should i take instead of Keldorn ??????
    I think i could try Haerdalis and Viconia and send Keldorn to his family and Aerie to hell ^^

Or would Valygar be better ?!
    hmmm the dilemma...

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

"Good" Party -
    Keldorn (leader)
    PC (fighter/mage)
    Jaheria
    Minsc
    Anomen
    Immy

"Evil" Party -
    Viccy
    PC (huge tanker)
    Korgan
    Jahiera (she's TN, right?)
    Edweeny
    Jan

Anyway, that's just IMO.

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I have played thru SoA with both Keldron and Viconia in my party. Keldy did try to make keema-kabab out of Viccy, but there is a way around it.

Reload.

There is some sort of timer which goes off and knocks Keldy into action. When you know this is going to happen just place them far apart, with atleast a couple of NPCs between them. Viccy is no longer in his sights and so doesn't tick him off.
    Simple, right ;)

I guess you could use that with the other two adverse combos too.

7. Michael Mouse Gems: 1/31

I am going off Aerie too. As I am a sorceror can I get by with Anomen and Jaheira's cleric spells until I pick up Imoen again? I haven't played one before but you all say he will get really powerful. I would quite like to swap Aerie for Keldorn, leaving Me, Yoshi, Anomen, Jaeheira, Keldorn and Minsc.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@ Michael Mouse - That shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget that you have Keldorn's dispel magic to help strip away enemy protection spells.

9. Misery Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

nobody else seems to have mentioned it, but playing with both Anomen and Viconia together in the same party gives you a very effective fighting (and healing) force
    couple them with Edwin and either Nalia (if you can stand the almost constant whining), or better, a mage pc, and you've a combination that can handle most everything the game can throw at you without having to resort to unsubtle techniques like employing uber tanks like Keldorn

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Misery - actually, for me, with a full-sized party, I prefer the "unsubtle techniques" of tanking; I hate trying to micro-manage six party members, which you have to do if your focus is on magic.

If I want a greater emphasis on magic, I'll go with a smaller party.

Of course, that's just my playing style. There are many others like yourself who prefer using magic even in a large party.

Oh, and welcome to the Boards. :)

11. Misery Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

12. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I find it much easier to choose if i install the Level 1 NPC's mod. It basically gives you several different versions of NPC's. You choose the ones you want, install them, and when you encounter say, imoen, you find that she is a level 1 sorceror/swashbuckler/etc. Since they are level one you can level them up as you want. No more Anomen with wasted proficiency points!

So, i recently played with the PC, valygar as a kensai, imoen as wild mage, cernd as a monk, mazzy as a cavalier and jaheira as a ranger/cleric. Nice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.