1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

GameInformer Features First Screenshots of Dragon Age 2

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Azereki, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Azereki Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG]The first screenshots from the recently announced Dragon Age II have just gone up on the GameInformer website. Although they have only posted a couple of images, it does demonstrate the new art style and visual improvements mentioned in the previous announcement.
    These exclusive hi-res screens of Dragon Age II showcase the new artistic direction for the game, depicting the new designs for darkspawn Hurlocks and Ogres. The team at BioWare is also aware that many gamers weren't satisfied with the graphical quality in Origins; Dragon Age II not only looks better, but sports a new artistic direction that gives the world of Thedas a more distinct visual identity.​
    Check out the shots here and share your opinions below.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think Hawke looks great. The Ogre and the Hurlocks, though, well, I have mixed feelings. The hurlocks remind me of something out of the He-man cartoon, and the Ogre sort of looks dumb and confused, rather than angry and rageful. Remember how scary it was to fight an Ogre for the first time in the Tower of Ishal? I want that Ogre back in DA2.

3. Azereki Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@Marceror - I would definitely like to see some more screenshots to form a better opinion, but so far I am kinda digging the new style and visual upgrade. Hopefully they show off some more menacing enemies in the next batch of media released.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thinking about the Ogre, it could be that it is plenty menacing in game, but that the particular picture just doesn't capture it. It appears that Hawke is doing a finishing move on the Ogre, so it's probably not it's most menacing moment. And the "camera" might have just caught it in one of those transitions from menacing scowl A to menacing scowl B, in which it appears sad and lonely for a few milliseconds.

I realize these are early pictures, and I'm expecting the images will get more detailed as launch gets closer. Still, I can't help but get a He-Man feel from this, and I'm not sure what to think about that yet.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The hurlocks looks like they are late for an s&m party...and the ogre seems to be wearing a bra...mayhaps there is some connection.

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

It does not seem that different from the first one, or am I missing something?

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    -No non human PCs. No more Elves or Dwarves PC (although there will be a Dwarf follower).

-The PC is human, his/her name is Hawke (silly isn't it).

-The PC has a complete voice over (which is either good or bad but I don't like taking chances, I just hope the voice acting will be stellar).

-The dialogue will use a speech wheel (like in Mass Effect) which means you'll get dialogue options that will paraphrase what Hawke will say (it has the potential to be quite misleading).

Other than that it would seem that the system is pretty much the same (it's been reported that it will include finishing moves for Mages as well).

Followers are rumoured to be Hawke's sister (a Mage), an Inquisitor, a Dwarf sidekick/part time narrator and Flemeth. This info is taken from a German site (link).

8. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Sorry, I was referring to the topic at hand about the new artistic direction and the screenshots. They do not look any different really.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.