1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Something like Morrowind, but not like Morrowind?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by diagnull, Jan 26, 2010.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

So, I tried playing MW a while back...I mean I really tried.

and there were things about it I liked. The graphics weren't bad, there was a lot of nice detail, and the free-roaming exploration was very nice.

But I just couldn't take the combat system...never could really get confortable with it.

So, i'm wondering...what's a similar game that might have a little better combat system.

Could be RPG or more action-y. 3rd Person is my preference (with lots of customization) but I'm open to 1st person as well.

Any recomendations?

Thanks!

-D

2. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

87 views and no comments?

Did I offend someone?

Can't believe no one has any suggestions...

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Have you checked Oblivion?

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I didn't notice your post. It's rather hard to suggest any other game. Oblivion is much too close to Morrowind. I'd suggest Fallout 3 as it is more of a pseudo shooter (not a real FPS by far) and you can even play with a gamepad (there's full support for the Xbox 360 controller for the PC) so it plays differently, you still have a very big environment with a lot of exploration to do before you're done and there are so many mods it's not even funny (I've posted a list in the Fallout 3 forum). You can play it in 3rd person though it makes shooting harder IMO (there's a camera mod that may help I haven't tested it myself but some players like it). Melee is not an important part of Fallout 3 whereas it is an important part of Oblivion (which plays more or less like Morrowind).

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm not entirely sure what it is that you like about Morrowind, so I'll just throw out exploration games.

Aiming in the other direction where there's no combat, just exploration - perhaps Noctis? It's a bit on the outdated side these days, but if you don't care about that it's quite interesting.

Yume Nikki is a top-down 2D exploration game that has a rather large fanbase. I've only played it a little bit and wasn't too impressed, but I'll give it another shot because the kinds of things people say about it indicate that I might have missed/not yet found the point. You explore bizarre dream worlds, basically.

I hear that the Knytt games are very exploration-orientated, but I never got around to playing them. They're sidescrolling platformers, so I guess the 'free roaming' element might be missing.

The few MMORPGs and MUDs that I've played have huge amounts of exploration - that's the main (only?) interesting thing about them. Don't really have any recommendations on that front though.

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is somewhat alike to Fallout 3 (I think, never played the latter.) The setting is post-nuclear-ish and you're running around Chernobyl with a backpack of weapons, ammo and food; trying to evade mutants and bandits. It's somewhat free-roaming, but not entirely, since the game works with areas and some are only unlocked as the main quest continues. It's a fun game, I liked it, but it suffers from some bugs that are not serious but do break you out of the game.

7. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Arx Fatalis is like Morrowind, but easier IMHO. It's also pretty cheap. Unfortunately, the combat system is very much like Morrowind. Arx Fatalis is a first person RPG. It's not open world like Morrowind, but there's a decent enough story to be had in Arx. Check it out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.