1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rabbit's Foot?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Mittbro, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Mittbro Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I found a rabbits foot charm, worn as an amulet. No idea what it does. Anyone else come across this hairy limb, and know what purpose it serves?

2. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

What do you think a rabbit's foot would be good for? ;)

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Making soup!

4. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It might be a Luck item from a mod or something. What's the name/description?

-Max

5. crucis

Not to be snotty, but ... DUH!!! ;)

It's an item from the Light of Selune mod. And I thought that the value of a Rabbit's Foot charm would be so blindly obvious that it didn't deserve to have a description of its effect.

6. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31

Okay, so it's a luck item.

@Mittbro:

You'll notice that whoever is wearing the Luck item gets a clover symbol drawn on their character portrait, and is listed as "Luck: +x" somewhere on the Record screen. X is probably equal to one, depending on how strong crucis wanted the item to be, unless you have additional Luck effects like a Luck potion, the 2nd level sorc/wiz Luck spell, or Tymora's melody active.

Luck affects to-hit and damage rolls, and as far as I can tell also affects the damage you take from area-effect spells. Let's say you have luck +1 and BAB +5 total, with total damage (counting STR) of 1d10+3. You swing at an orc and the computer rolls a 1 for you (critical miss), then adds +1 for luck. It will print out a message saying something like, "Mohindor attacks Orc: 2 + 5 = 7 (miss)." Even though it wasn't a critical miss the Orc's AC was still too high. Next time, it rolls a 19 for you. Because you have luck this counts as if you had actually rolled a 20, which means it automatically hits and gives you a chance at a critical. When you roll damage, it's like +1 to damage except that you can't roll higher than 10 so your damage will range from 5-13. That's pretty much what luck does; it doesn't affect saving throws, and it doesn't affect your (displayed) bonuses to-hit since luck comes into play before bonuses are counted.

In my experience, luck is also subtracted from area-effect spell damage rolled AGAINST you (so if you have luck +8, a 10d6 explosion will always only do 10 points of damage not counting saving throws). However, this effect is controversial and I wouldn't rely on it without doing more testing.

-Max

7. Stuntman Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Apparently it wasn't lucky for the rabbit.:hahaerr:

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Then that is poor presumption on the part of the modmaker! Not all cultures have a lucky rabbits foot as commonplace folklore - some places they can be cursed items for example, or simply not be part of the tales. There is also the issue that an identified item is meant to have it stats plainly written out - hence the term identified. To make it clear to the player what an item does and how. Even something simple like stating "This item conveys luck to the wearer" is better than just ignoring the need to write something.

The "Maybe you'll get lucky!" description is better suited to it's unidentified state or if the item is simply used for a joke or sidequest.

9. crucis

Sorry, 8people, but I don't think that all items should have their effects be clear. Not be a long shot. I haven't bothered creating any traditional cursed items for the LOS mod because I can't imagine ANY player ever using a unidentified item and cannot imagine any player using a cursed item, unless the item was actually quite good and the only negative of the "curse" was an inability to remove the item without a "Remove Curse" spell, the Zuvembie armor being one example.

10. Mittbro Gems: 1/31

Rabbits seem to be pretty fast, so I was thinking speed adjustment. Except characters movement didn't increase:confused: Would never have thought it would be a luck charm, apart from the 'Maybe you'll get lucky' in its description.

I like the fact that it doesn't have a description of what it does exactly, it made me investigate and delve deeper into the game and how it all works (previously always just hacked and slashed my way through the game with characters I thought were tough, not knowing there was tougher!). Now I know how luck works (thanks Max :)) I use it, unlike before.

Enjoying the LoS 2 Crucis, maybe I'll find some more interesting items, an owl cloak for my ever wise Druid perhaps

11. riotus Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Media:
    My first encounter with a rabbit's foot was via Dungeon Master.

Gamers these days and those from days of faery tale, Goblins etc, are a vastly different breed. (thanks to the interwebs). There is absolutely no poor presumption from the author at all. The first entry on googleis a link to wiki :
    "In some cultures, the foot of a rabbit is carried as an amulet believed to bring good luck."

Most rpg gamers I know, personally, should already know what a rabbit's foot does. Or have the initiative and curiosity to find out.

12. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31

And he had luck +4!

13. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31

Jemeliah's Luck +2 doesn't prevent me from killing him either. :) The rabbit would have been better off with extra speed. :)

-Max

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.