1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Might and Magic series

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Rawgrim, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I have recently re-discovered these games, and are having a blast playing MM6 at the moment. Even managed to find a few secrets and items, that i had missed way back in the days.

Anyone else still play these games?

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I tried playing the Mandate of Heaven again but the old graphics made it too hard to get back to. Great game though.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    When I saw this thread I just knew you were the one who started it :)

I love the series but I haven't played any of them in a very long time. MM6 is one of my favourites: huge dungeons, challenging combat, and one of the best overworld designs I've seen in a CRPG. It does show its age, but that never bothered me.

4. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

There are unofficial patches for all the games from 6 to 9. In some cases, they're needed if the game is to run on a newer system.

As for me, I've never managed to get 'into' them for some reason. I've always felt they lacked 'something'.

Loved the World of Xeen, though.

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I love those games! The only problem is that I now have a laptop and a touchpad, not a mouse which makes it a bit hard

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    You can get a usb mouse as they are rather cheap. I find touchpads to be way more accurate when it comes to aiming but a mouse is quicker when you're moving it around (at least in my experience).

I think I'll try and run MM6 again. I have so many fond memories of playing that game. Games didn't hold your hand back then and it made for a real gaming experience. MM6 didn't have levelled lists, you were totally free to go out and explore. Nobody would warn you that a particular dungeon was too hard for your group. Now, playing a game is like watching an interactive DVD, at least MM6 wasn't boring.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Oh the games certainly didn't hold you hand. At least in 3-5 (and 7-8) you could use some common sense in determining which areas to tackle first - the games get progressively harder as you get away from the starting town. MM6 was unique in that it only followed this to an extent. Darkmoor is the area directly next to Ironfist, yet it's not the next step up in terms of difficulty (more like a dozen steps up!). Then there's Gharik's Forge, one of the endgame dungeons, that just happens to be in the starting area... the design was clever though, so if you tried to enter the Forge early on and pay attention to its description you could figure out this is not a beginner dungeon (and if you don't figure it out, the Power Liches in there will soon make it very obvious!). However the game never tries to stop you from going anywhere - it's your funeral :)

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The graphics in mm6 bothered me at first. But after about 45 minutes of play, i got completely into it. Been at it for about a week, now, and i am finding myself halfway done with castle Alamos. if i remember correctly, that is the second hardest dungeon in the game. I am looking forward to castle Darkmoor as well. If I remember correctly I have about 500 liches + beholders waiting for me there. Tedious place, but rewarding.

Caradhras likes this.
  9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Love all the MM games, whether it's Heroes or the old school RPG's.

It also got quite a lively mod community nowadays. It's quite remarkable for such an old game. I'm currently playing The Chaos Conspiracy. It's a complete overhaul of Might and Magic VI, which has an increased difficulty, new monsters, complete new story an many surprises for the veteran MM player.

Every fan should check out the forums at www.celestialheavens.com. Now there is a community who has found a new faith in these great games.

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Yes... I recently reinstalled Secrets of the Inner Sanctum, Gates To Another World, and World of Xeen... so my next couple of months off are already booked.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.