1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo II single player questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by dmc, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm surprised there is even going to be a new patch. I thought once they let you play without a CD (v1.12) that was all there was left to do. Perhaps a new World Event? That would be cool...

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think my rekindled love affair with Diablo II is over now. It was brief, but enjoyable, passionate and sloppy...just like an affair should be. :p

I'm moving on to Mass Effect and considering The Witcher...

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    IIRC they'd even specifically said that 1.12 would be the very last patch.

You've got to give it to Blizzard... they're still releasing patches and new content for a game that's ten years old! No wonder they sell so many copies of each game.

4. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

nice find from my necro!

i decided to make a fishymancer because my cold/strafe ama got stagnated in act 4

and the necro found lycanders aim! it was just what i needed a bow with about 150 in dammage, mana leech, and +2 all ama skills and +2 bow and crossbow skills, so a +4 to Frozen arrow

so she is currently running through act 4 pretty easily

however i dont know what to socketed it with, maybe a shael for the extra ias? or a nef for knockback?

edit: playing right now with my ama, i find lycanders aim again, 10 mins. after i find it with necro

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    My wife had stuff to do each day this week when I got home from work, so I had toddler duty all week - no D2 for me. But it's funny how it works out some time. You can play forever and not find a particular item and then you'll get two of them in a relatively short time. Even with uniques, the only restriction is you won't get two in the same game, but as soon as you save and exit, all uniques become avilable again. In the case of rares, you CAN get two to drop at the same time. In fact, I've seen Diablo drop the exact same set item twice when I killed him. (Obviously, the odds of this happening are remote, but because there are no restrictions on set drops, it's possible.)

6. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    That's because you think on probabilities too much. :p
    It's basically all just 1/1xxxxxxxx chance to get a good item every time you kill something. The probability-of -getting-a-good-item-X-over-a-period-of-Y-days is overrated, at least in my case. My bad luck is legendary even among my friends.

:lol::rolling::roll::shake:

7. Balle Gems: 19/31

i just found a superior phaseblade, but instead og the magical 3 i needed for crescent moon it has 4!

i think i will hang on to it, there is bound to be a nice RW to stick in it, maybe a spirit? for extra levels on pally?

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    IIRC, a socketed superior item cannot make a runeword, it has to be a socketed regular item.

9. Jq-Amp Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Sorry to flat out disagree, but superior socketed items work fine; I have a superior "lore" bone helm on my necro. :)

In reply to Balle,
    do you know about the "Runeword Catcher" website (easily googled)? Just a simple site that helps you find what runewords you can make.
    Apparently theres quite a few that fit in your sword, but most use mid-high end runes.

If you're running the ladder runeword mod, spirit is pretty awesome for a caster, although the lvl 25 req makes a lot of other stuff redundant.
    At least i don't have to spend ages shopping for +skills wands/staves etc. I think I've fully explored that element of gameplay already :)

10. Balle Gems: 19/31

yea, thought about that as well. apparantly it is only the most high-end runeword that would be any good in it, and even then the runeword is indestructibly, so would be better of in a etherel zerker axe or anything else.

the runeword spirit, wich i could easily put in it however is mainly a caster thing, so it would be better in a regular crystal sword, or even a low quality item, for the lesser reqs.

and welcome to BoM

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Haven't been playing very much but ran the Necro last night and found another set of Griswold's armor. Reached level 91 as well. Now I have two skill points I don't know what to do with. I may pick another golem and push that up for the heck of it.

Edit: Played a little more and found Tal Rasha's Amulet and The IK's gloves, neither of which I had. I now have the amulet, belt and helmet for Tal Rasha's set, which may provide an interesting dilemma for my meteorb eventually.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  12. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Just a quick notice: A "Leaf" runeword in a +3 fireball, +3 enchant staff in the hands of a fire sorceress pretty much one- or twoshots most anything even remotely normal from early Act 2 onwards, on /players 5. *evil laughter*

Was about time, was getting stupid watching my friend's Summoner's skellies mow everything down on their way.

13. Balle Gems: 19/31

i just found a great paladin coronet!

def: 66 (damn)

but the other stats er great!

+2 all palla skills
    +30 str
    +17 dex
    +17 all res.

and a few other non-essentials

EDIT: i found the guardian angel earlier, this pala is going to be soo bad ass, the ctc static makes him a mean boss killer, i also got a pair of blood gloves with 6% CB and 20 % ias on them

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    As long as the name is in gray it works. Just like you can use the Charsi quest reward on a superior item, so long as the name is in white.

Also remember that Crescent Moons can be made in axes - which certainly isn't a bad option. Oh, and that's a great coronet you got your hands on there.

You bastard! You mock me!

Overall I do like my Meterob - although I still contend I'd like it more with a completed Tal Rasha's Set - I'm still missing the amulet. My overall opinion of the Meteorb versus the Summoner is that while the Meterob is more powerful, the Summoner is easier. You're constantly moving around with the Sorceress repositioning yourself. I just breezed through Act II Hell, which is actually quite simple for the Meteorb. Most of the melee opponents - Hell Clan, Burning Skeletons - are fire immune, while most non-melee opponents - mummies and vampires - are cold immune. So the melee opponents get mowed down with Frozen Orb, while you can hit the back ones with Meteor that flies right over the heads of the fire immunes. The reverse doesn't work nearly as well. If the cold immunes are in the front row, they block most of the shards from Frozen Orb from reaching the back row of enemies.

Teleport is your definitely your meteorb's friend - it is sometimes necessary to get out of Dodge in a hurry. Teleport takes your merc with you, so it also helps if your merc is about to die. I certainly have died a few times on Hell difficulty, so while my overall killing speed is much quicker with a meteorb compared to a summoner, there is a much higher degree of difficulty with playing this character. The main difference is that there is a huge margin of error in playing a summoner. The only way you die with a summoner is if you screw up - usually in a major way. You'd have to do something dumb, like run into a room ahead of your army, or try to kill something in melee. So you have to screw up in a major way while being stupid - which is definitely possible but still not something that should happen regularly. You don't have that margin of error with a sorceress. If you get hit by a ghost a split second before you were going to teleport and lose your enitre mana bulb - you're dead.

15. Aces Gems: 19/31

Prepare to be mocked further.
    I found it with my Druid last game only playing in normal.
    :o

A kill in the ice caves (ACT V) opening one of those jars got it.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You can find Tal Rasha's Adjudication in Normal difficulty?

/me flips through item level lists/

Now that is strange. The amulet only has an ilvl of 29. That means the first monsters who could theoretically drop it would be those in the Pendomonium Fortress in Act IV Normal. Who'da thunk it?

Did not play much last night, although I'm going to hate Act III more than I normally do. Flayers are cold immune. (Not all the flayer-like creatures - just the ones that are actually called "Flayers". Soul Killers are lightning immune, and the other ones whose name I cannot recall at the moment are fire immune, as are all the shamans apparently.) I've reached the point where my fireball does excellent damage, but for small creatures that don't have a ton of life, I still prefer to use my frozen orb. A frozen orb or three can clear an entire screen of soul killers, but I have to switch to fireball for the flayers. The ones that swarm you aren't too bad because you get splash damage. It's those little bastards with the blow darts that are a pain in the ass as you have to shoot at each one individually.

The greatest danger with my sorceress at this point is going too fast. I don't die much, but when I do it's usually because I run into a room, or do something dumb. I am sure I will have at least a couple stupid deaths in Act III due to stygian dolls - although I have about 950 life at this point and decent fire resistance - I should be able to survive an explosion. If I just take my time there really isn't anything my sorceress cannot take care of. (Aside from the occassional boss that spawns immune to both cold and fire. The minions are never immune to both though, so I kill everything but the boss, then static field the boss and let my merc finish it off.)

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, I plowed through the Flayer Dungeon last night - it was painful. I died three times - twice to those stupid stygian dolls and once through stupidity. I'm in Kurast now, and I'm almost certain that I will not fare well in the sewers below the Kurast Bazzar.

That's another thing I'm noticing about the Sorceress - one of her weak points is playing in areas where she has relatively restricted movement. I'm becoming more proficient at quickly teleporting away out of necessity. You almost have to re-program yourself. Before when you and your merc were getting pounded on, you use healing potions and hope for the best - it's not my first response to teleport, which is invariably the safer of those two options.

18. Ziad

Media:
    If you're used to the Necromancer or a summoning Druid you really have to relearn playing with a Sorceress. I'm having the opposite thing happening to me, where I'm so used to being extra careful with the Sorceress that I phase out while playing with my Necro and die because I'm actually not paying attention to what is going on. The only company that a Sorceress gets is her mercenary (Holy Freeze merc is by far the best for her) and unlike with a Necro she doesn't have a wall of skeletons to hide behind. Teleport is the spell that ensures she stays alive. You've got to hotkey it to something easy (I have it on F5 because it's in the middle yet at the edge of that set of function keys) and you've got to acquire the reflex of switching to it and teleporting as far away as possible. The great thing about Teleport is that it'll also move your merc, so you don't just run away and leave him to die but use it as an escape for both of you. I frequently teleport away when my merc is about to die so I can heal him and get a breather before jumping back into the action. Teleport-Meteor-Teleport is also a good way to do magical "sneak attacks", though it takes quite a bit of practice to time the Meteor properly. It's true that narrow passageways restrict the Sorceress, but Teleport ensures she's never fully restricted and that's its biggest strength.

I played with my Necromancer last night and came across an amazing find in one of the seven tombs: a unique Yari called Hone Sundan. It does 99-202 damage thanks to a couple of damage modifiers, so the total damage my Might merc is currently dealing is 700 (!) on average. On top of it it adds a 45% chance of crushing blow. Not bad! The best thing about this unique is that it's got 3 sockets, so if I can find a good runeword for it, or add something like 3 perfect skulls, I can turn the merc into a self-sustaining killing machine.

19. dmc

Media:
    I have two versions of that Yari - one I added three runes (I forget which one) that does -25% to target's defense, which pretty much guarantees consistent hits by the merc on everyone. I haven't filled the sockets of the other one yet because I haven't figured out what to put in it. It's an awesome merc weapon.

20. Ziad

Media:
    Running another one of the false tombs I found a wand for a Necromancer set! Unfortunately after identification it turns out it's not Trang-Oul's but the Infernal Torch, which provides a measly +1 to all skills. It certainly doesn't compare to my bought wand with +2 to all skills and +3 to decrepify. Ah well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.